Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior > Cat behavior forum - cat training

Old July 30th, 2004, 08:10 PM

Talking Can you train a kitten to go outside to use the bathroom like a dog?

I was just curious if anyone has ever managed to accomplish this. I'd like to get her to go to the door whenever she needed to go like a dog would. Thanks.
Old July 31st, 2004, 12:53 AM

When my cat was indoor outdoor she did this. (I say when because she is too old to be outside now) she would go to the door and mewo to go out and then later would show up on the window sill to come back in. I would suggest to have a litter box still in the house somewhere however incase he needs to go and your not around to let him out. I never had to teach her to do this she just did it on her own. i think that most cats would perfer to go outside over their litter boxes but will use the boxes when they can't get outside. (my cat and my best friends cat both did this without training which is what makes me think this) I think once your cat figures out you will let him out whenever he needs to go he'll just let you know by going to the door.
Old July 31st, 2004, 01:57 AM

While growing up we had an indoor/outdoor cat who always slept indoors, but always went potty outdoors. We didn't have a litterbox at all and in my recollection, as a full grown cat he didn't make a mistake even once. Litter box still might be convenient at times, though, but my mom hated them for some reason.
Old July 31st, 2004, 02:12 AM
Senior Contributor

Puss-Puss is an indoor/outdoor cat. For the first 10 years of her life, she would go outside and only used the box once or twice a month. It was as if she was just making sure that I was taking care of it. She would use the box mainly when the weather was bad. She's gradually started using the box more often as she's gotten older. Like the rest of us, she's grown more appreciative of conveniences. She still goes outside, but spends most of her time laying on our bedroom window box. We put a board on top and don't plant any flowers (no drip watering) on that side. She has her own cat door in that window too. We call her little playform "Puddy's Lanai".
Old July 31st, 2004, 09:42 AM
Senior Contributor

Please do not send a kitten outside. There are way too many dangers - other cats, dogs, kids, poison, cars, getting lost etc.. If she gets used to going out, it will be hard to keep her in the house later on.

Having a litterbox in the house is one of the downsides to having a cat.
Old July 31st, 2004, 10:47 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyRescue
That's putting in mildly!!! I absoultely detest the litter box!! But it's just something that you have to deal with when having a cat.

My cat always uses the litter box, never outside - mind you he hasn't mastered getting on the elevator or stairs down 18 stories!!
Old July 31st, 2004, 11:32 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyRescue
Please do not send a kitten outside. There are way too many dangers - other cats, dogs, kids, poison, cars, getting lost etc.. If she gets used to going out, it will be hard to keep her in the house later on.

Don't worry. My baby will not be going out alone. There are too many dogs and cats around here. Plus we live close to the road. She is leash/harness trained. Like I said, I would like to train her like a dog. To go to the door when she needs to go, so that I can put her on the leash and take her out. Since this is my first kitty. I was just hoping to get some positive advice from those with experience. I'll always have litter boxes in the house of course, but taking her outside to use the bathroom seems like a good idea too. Thanks to everyone who's replied. It gives me hope that it shouldn't be too hard to train her.
Old July 31st, 2004, 01:26 PM

Now call me crazy or gullible, but a friend of mine told me that they'd heard of a cat that was trained to use the toilet. Yup, that's what they heard. Could be a myth, but it sounds plausible.

The person had a litter box, and for some reason an extra toilet seat lying around. They mounted the toilet seat over the litter box and the cat would sit on the seat and poop into the litter per usual. Then they took away the litter box and the cat started using the toilet in absence of it's litter box. Of course flushing was a bit too complicated, but hey, how much can you ask of a cat with no hands. The only concern was that the cat would fall in every now and again, or knock stuff around when it tried to scratch after it was finished with its business.

Now this could be true or not, I simply throw it out on the table for doing so sake.
Old July 31st, 2004, 01:30 PM
Senior Contributor

BB, I've seen this too!!! Well, there was a video on Animal Planet and then of course on Meet the Family...LOL

The one on Animal Planet, the cat used the toilet AND flushed, then hopped on top of the tank to watch!!!! veryy funny, much less stinky too I bet!!!
Old July 31st, 2004, 03:02 PM

Yup, it's possible (although I'm pretty sure my cat would think I've completely gone off my rocker if I tried any of this). Here's a link to a training technique:
http://www.karawynn.net/mishacat/toilet.html

Good luck!