Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old August 20th, 2008, 04:22 PM

TLC Dog Food ?

A friend of mine would like feedback possitive or negative on the TLC dog food. She has a 3 1/2 year Black Lab, and likes the idea of it being delivered to her door.
Old August 20th, 2008, 07:14 PM
Papa D

i dont like the MEAL in the first ingredients
Beathoven 7 year old mutt
Maggie 5 year jack russell
Felix 15 year tabby
Ozzie 12 year tabby
Tigger 10 year long hair cat
marley just a pup
sasha grand pup___________________________________________________________
Lettin the cat outta the bag is a whole lot easier than puttin it back in.

Most of the stuff people worry about ain't gonna happen anyway.
Old August 20th, 2008, 07:28 PM
Now I'm Mrs. Chaser!

Ingredients, as found at: http://www.tlcpetfood.com/

Lamb Meal, Chicken Meal, Oatmeal, Whole Grain Barley, Whole Brown Rice, Chicken Fat (Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols, a Natural Source of Vitamin E), Potato, Chicken, Salmon Meal, Chicken Liver, Salmon Oil (Natural Source of DHA), Calcium Carbonate, Flaxseed, Whole Dried Egg, Potassium Chloride, Cultured Yeast, Kelp, Lecithin, Apple, Tomato, Chicory Root Extract, Mannan-oligosaccharides, Choline Chloride, Vitamins, Vitamin A, Vitamin D3, Vitamin E, Niacin, Vitamin C , Inositol, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Beta Carotene, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Vitamin K, Biotin, Vitamin B12, Minerals, Zinc Proteinate, Ferrous Sulfate, Iron Proteinate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Proteinate , Manganese Proteinate, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Iodate, Selenium, Taurine, Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Probiotics, Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Casei, Enterococcus Faecium, Bifidobacterium Thermophilum, L-carnitine, Chondroitin Sulphate, Thyme, Cassia, Anise, Chamomile, Horseradish, Juniper, Ginger, Rosemary Extract

I think this food sounds quite good. A little grain-heavy but I would think there is still a fair amount of meat coming from the first two ingredients as they are meal and therefore weighed after the water has been removed. No by-products or unspecified meat sources is a very good thing. Good probiotics. I would add some fresh veggies into the dog's diet as treats though as there aren't a whole lot offered in the food and IMO fresh is better anyway. Supplementing with a bit of raw chicken would also be a good idea.

My big concern is the Vitamin K. If it is naturally occurring then that's fine, but if it is synthetic vitamin K that can be very dangerous for dogs. The website states that they don't use artifical preservatives, and the overall quality of ingredients seems very good, so it would surprise me if they used synthetic vitamin K. My educated guess is they do not....but I can't find a definite answer on the website. I would suggest your friend call or e-mail them to ask.

Other than that (possible) problem, it sounds really good and if your friend wants the convenience, I say go for it! If she ever gets another dog, or for when her lab becomes a senior, it will also be very convenient as it is an All Life Stages Food.
Kailey (Misunderstood Gentle Beauty) - GSD & foster failure #1
Rupert (Gold-Medal Winner of the 3 a.m. Kitty Destruction Olympics )

Heidi - RIP my sweet baby girl
Old August 20th, 2008, 08:04 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Oh not sure I care too much for this one...way too much grain for my liking and there is not a lot of meat?? yes there is meal but I would love to see some more meat in the ingrediants. I agree on the vitamin k ...I dont know how its processed either...not the best but it all depends on the doggie as well and what they can tolerate..
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old August 21st, 2008, 03:28 PM
NOT a senior member

I actually like the meal in the first two ingredients. If it was just "chicken", or "lamb"...we are talking less real meat ingredients by weight, so meal is actually better. What I don't like as much is the three grain ingredients after the first two. IMO that is way too much grain and not desirable in what is deemed a quality holistic product.

Not a terribly bad food overall...but given the choices we have I would opt for a different kibble without all the grains in this one. You are going to pay for that delivery no matter how you look at it. My assumption is that you pay a generous price for this kibble to get it delivered to your door.

My loyal menagerie... (all neutered, spayed, and gelded...and YOU aren't safe either!)

Ruben (Bullmastiff)
Emmy (Miniature Pinscher)
Petie (Miniature Pinscher)
Shadow (Miniature Pinscher)
Zoe (APBT)
Tito (Paint Gelding)
Francesca (Miniature Horse Filly)
Vincenzo (APHA gelding)

Lots of fishies......
Old August 21st, 2008, 07:49 PM
Now I'm Mrs. Chaser!

I do agree that a better, grain-free food could be found for less money than this, as the delivery charge is probably pretty hefty.

But if your friend has problems with mobility or transportation issues, I don't think this is a bad food to feed. There are many FAR worse options out there. But it IS a lot of grain and I would supplement it with some fresh meat.
Kailey (Misunderstood Gentle Beauty) - GSD & foster failure #1
Rupert (Gold-Medal Winner of the 3 a.m. Kitty Destruction Olympics )

Heidi - RIP my sweet baby girl
Old August 23rd, 2008, 07:58 AM

I agree with Purpledomino that it is preferable to have meal in the first ingredient(s) as the moisture has been removed. If it said lamb and chicken as the first two ingredients, the moisture would not have been removed; hence they would move way down on the ingredient list.

Pat