Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old November 13th, 2006, 07:08 PM

Digestive Enzymes

I was wondering if disgestive enzymes are a must or if they should only be given if the dog has trouble digesting food? Is it a must if you feed raw? We feed Barkley raw but haven't been giving him any digestive enzymes, only probiotics and salmon oil capsules as far as supplements go. He doesn't seem to have any difficulty digesting his food as his poops are nice and solid. Should I be giving him digestive enzymes as well?
Old November 13th, 2006, 07:10 PM
Senior Contributor

I say if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Deep thought, by Jack Handey : "I think my new thing will be to try to be a real happy guy. I'll just walk around being real happy until some jerk says something stupid to me."
Old November 13th, 2006, 09:15 PM
Honest Contributor

i second meb999... raw foods are naturally rich in live enzymes, so unless a dog is having a hard time digesting or transitioning to raw, there is no need to feed them.

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.

:love: ~Akitas Are Love~ :love:
Old November 14th, 2006, 06:04 AM
Rosco, Raw Fed & LOVES IT

Agreed. I usually will only give them if its a new type of meat, ie, first time feeding fish or lamb or if its a meal thats a bit boney. But for the most part he doesnt get any. Just every now and then.

Their impression of power is remarkable. They give one the feeling of immense reserves of energy, of great reservoirs of knowledge, of tolerance of disposition, obstinacy of purpose, and tenacity of principle. They are responsive, and they have a lot of quiet, good sense.

-J. Wentworth Day, from The Dog in Sport, 1938
Old November 14th, 2006, 12:31 PM

Probably not necessary. But nothing I've read indicates that they would be harmful. I have some for my dog that are formed into tablets with meat flavoring. She gets one as a treat every few days (they are expensive) She's on a puppy chow, not raw. I think it's more important that your dog get a vitamin/mineral supplement.
Old November 14th, 2006, 01:25 PM
Rosco, Raw Fed & LOVES IT

Quote:
She's on a puppy chow, not raw. I think it's more important that your dog get a vitamin/mineral supplement
Personally, I think it comes down to personal choice, but if you feed a good variety of raw, then I see no need for supplements. But again that comes down to personal choice. It seems like the veteran raw feeders used to at one time supplement, but now don't, or the ones that do, do it, "just in case."

Here is an interesting read on supplements. Not saying I agree or disagree with anything, again its up to the individual to make their own choice.

http://www.rawlearning.com/supplementmyths.html

Angies man, do you feed Purina Puppy Chow?

(please say no )

Their impression of power is remarkable. They give one the feeling of immense reserves of energy, of great reservoirs of knowledge, of tolerance of disposition, obstinacy of purpose, and tenacity of principle. They are responsive, and they have a lot of quiet, good sense.

-J. Wentworth Day, from The Dog in Sport, 1938