Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Pet product reviews - dog products > Cat product reviews

Old March 24th, 2008, 11:34 AM
Senior Contributor

Peticure - nail filing tool for cats and dogs

Hi guys. I was watching Animal Planet this morning and saw this product. I went to the website and had a look at the little video they have and it looks like something really useful.

Peticure

It's basically a power tool for filing pets nails down. It looks like a Dremmel, and they even sell a nail guard to fit Dremmels.

I think this is something I'd like to get. I would much rather file down the Fantastic 4's nails than cut them, since this product looks like it's safer to use and there's little chance of cutting their quick.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old March 24th, 2008, 01:14 PM
head in the clouds

omg I was just laughing at this while in the petstore while i was geting Lola her litter tray!!

it was a bone shaped nail file...
(>'.'<) Zena ~ 14 yrs Calico long hair
& Hugo ~ 10 yrs GBGV
Old March 24th, 2008, 01:22 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh no, it's not shaped like a fish bone. It looks like a small power tool. Did you open the link?
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

Old March 24th, 2008, 01:23 PM
head in the clouds

yes i must have seen the wimpy version today.... from my dog in the uk he wouldnt sit long enough id only just file my hand!!!

i also saw a water fountain!!
(>'.'<) Zena ~ 14 yrs Calico long hair
& Hugo ~ 10 yrs GBGV
Old March 24th, 2008, 02:03 PM
Senior Contributor

Yeah, I have a bit of a hard time cutting my little one's nails. This thing looks like it would work well, and I wouldn't have to worry about cutting too much. It says to just file the nail for cats for about 3 seconds which is pretty fast.

Old January 2nd, 2009, 11:27 PM
-

I'm bumping this thread up because I've been seeing the commercial on tv over and over again and I would really like to know if anyone here has tried it ?
Old January 2nd, 2009, 11:32 PM
Jag and Gingers dad

That looks like the one i just bought at petsmart as jag is scared of the clippers.the one i bought works well.just takes a bit to get used to and makes the nails nice and smooth.and jag sat there well i did two nail.
Old January 2nd, 2009, 11:35 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by angeldogs View Post
That looks like the one i just bought at petsmart as jag is scared of the clippers.the one i bought works well.just takes a bit to get used to and makes the nails nice and smooth.and jag sat there well i did two nail.
I heard that pet stores started to sell them (maybe from another company though) may I ask how much you paid for it ? What I'm afraid of is , paying $30-$40 and that Nelly would still be afraid of it.
Old January 2nd, 2009, 11:35 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

There is another one (paw something) at the showcase store, that actually looks like it would work better then this one......but I would also like to know how they both work and which one is better

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old January 2nd, 2009, 11:37 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
I heard that pet stores started to sell them (maybe from another company though) may I ask how much you paid for it ? What I'm afraid of is , paying $30-$40 and that Nelly would still be afraid of it.

they say to turn it on and give lovings and treats to get the pet used to the sound before ever trying it one their nails.

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old January 2nd, 2009, 11:40 PM
-

humm , it makes noise ?! arrgg , then I'm pretty sure Nelly would freak out she pees on the floor and runs away when she sees me getting near her with the nail cutters. In 2 years , I was only able to cut 2 of her nails. I have to get her to the vet and they have to be 2 persons to do it. Same with Chloé but she isn't afraid , just hates it.
Old January 2nd, 2009, 11:41 PM
Jag and Gingers dad

Quote:
It was 19.99+ taxes.came with one attached and a spare one in the box and you can also buy 12 replacements for 9.99+taxes.it's not heavy and fairly quite,takes 2 C battery's.

Mine is with the woman i work with as i just had jags nails clipped and we have used it on her boy Neika,and a rescue puppy.we both like it.i won't clip jags nails and at $11 a pop i like this thing will get lots of use.
Old January 2nd, 2009, 11:50 PM
-

At $19.99 , that is not so bad !

Yes I'm tired too of paying $12.00 X2 and to drive 40 kms for this every time !
Old January 3rd, 2009, 12:00 AM
Jag and Gingers dad

Quote:
At $19.99 , that is not so bad !

Yes I'm tired too of paying $12.00 X2 and to drive 40 kms for this every time !
I figure at what it was costing to get his nails trimmed this will save me money.and it really isn't that load.Linda is going to get her own after trying mine.I'm glad i bought it.

I believe it's called pedipaws.Just looked it up and thats the name of it.only with a picture of a paw between pedi and paw.
Old January 3rd, 2009, 08:55 AM
Senior Contributor

There's another smaller one that I'm thinking of buying for my gang. It's really small and compact. These don't seem to be really designed for cats. :sad:

Old January 3rd, 2009, 10:58 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancientgirl View Post
These don't seem to be really designed for cats. :sad:
I thought it was weird too , their claws are so much smaller
Old January 3rd, 2009, 11:06 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
I thought it was weird too , their claws are so much smaller
Yeah, smaller and more curved. Dogs nails seem to grown out a little straighter it seems than cats. It's just very awkward.

I even tried taking off the guard but that didn't work very well either.

Old January 3rd, 2009, 11:06 AM
Now I'm Mrs. Chaser!

We got the PediPaws about a month ago and also paid $19.99. Kailey hates her nails being done but isn't afraid of noise at all. It's made things a lot easier with her, but her nails are just almost too tough for it. We can manage, but I don't think it would be very effective on a dog over say 80 lbs. You'd need something more porweful for them I think.

Frenchy - Chase is terrified of pretty much any strange noise, he's very jumpy that way. When we turned it on he flew into our bedroom and hid. We couldn't even have it in the same room in order to give treats and praise! Between the noise and not being quite tough enough I'd say it's a no go for sure with Nelly. Might help you with Chloe though (just put Nelly somewhere else when you turn it on!)

AG - My friend is a groomer and she loves these new tools for dogs, but said she would not use it on a cat despite what the commercails say. She said their nails are far too soft for it. Could be another reason your're having trouble.

Hope that's helpful
Kailey (Misunderstood Gentle Beauty) - GSD & foster failure #1
Rupert (Gold-Medal Winner of the 3 a.m. Kitty Destruction Olympics )

Heidi - RIP my sweet baby girl
Old January 3rd, 2009, 11:15 AM
-

Thanks for the report Chase Mom. The way you describe it , I don't think Nelly would go for it. But maybe after a few times on Chloé , Nelly would get use to it. IF Chloé lets me but at least I know Bailey won't mind.
Old January 3rd, 2009, 11:16 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase_Mom View Post
AG - My friend is a groomer and she loves these new tools for dogs, but said she would not use it on a cat despite what the commercails say. She said their nails are far too soft for it. Could be another reason your're having trouble.

Hope that's helpful
The softness wasn't an issue actually. It was more the position of the guard and the actual filing tool. There is another tool that looks like it might work easier for the curve of a cats nails. I don't know, I just get really nervous cutting their nails, especially since I cut Vlad's quick once before and I felt terrible for the poor guy. I'm surprised he still even lets me cut his nails.

Old January 3rd, 2009, 11:19 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Thanks for the report Chase Mom. The way you describe it , I don't think Nelly would go for it. But maybe after a few times on Chloé , Nelly would get use to it. IF Chloé lets me but at least I know Bailey won't mind.
If you go to the website that sells it they have a little video showing you how you can start to get them used to the noise so they don't freak out so much.

Old January 3rd, 2009, 11:22 AM
Now I'm Mrs. Chaser!

Quote:
I just get really nervous cutting their nails, especially since I cut Vlad's quick once before and I felt terrible for the poor guy. I'm surprised he still even lets me cut his nails.
I know the feeling. We've cut both our dogs' quicks and it feels awful. The PediPaws has been great for Kailey that way. She kicks us whenever we touch her paws, so with the clippers she would kick every time we tried to make the cut and we'd slip and go way too short. Made me cry more than once :sad:

Hope the tiny one works out for you!

Old January 3rd, 2009, 11:26 AM
Senior Contributor

Here's the other one:

Pet Zoom

This one doesn't have a guard and it's curved so you sort of rest the nail in that curve. It looks like it might work better for cats. When I have some extra cash I'm going to order it and see if it works.

Old January 3rd, 2009, 11:29 AM
Now I'm Mrs. Chaser!

Quote:
If you go to the website that sells it they have a little video showing you how you can start to get them used to the noise so they don't freak out so much.
That's fine for most dogs...we introduced it that way to Kailey with no problems. But Chase HATES weird noises. He would seriously jump out the window when we turn the vacuum on if he could. We couldn't even get him in the same room as the thing when it was still turned OFF to give him treats! He just hides in our bed and shakes.

Worst part is I have no idea how it happened...we exposed him to all kinds of noise as a pup and he was fine until about 8 months old. One dog terrified of noises and the other of new people and dogs. Lucky us...

Old January 3rd, 2009, 11:31 AM
Now I'm Mrs. Chaser!

Quote:
Here's the other one:

Pet Zoom

This one doesn't have a guard and it's curved so you sort of rest the nail in that curve. It looks like it might work better for cats. When I have some extra cash I'm going to order it and see if it works.
That one looks pretty promising I think....I really like the design. Let us know how it goes if you get it!

Old January 3rd, 2009, 11:33 AM
Senior Contributor

They can't all be easy huh? Czari is the only one I can't cut myself. I have to take her to the vet's office to have them cut her nails for me because she gets all hissy and nippy if I try to do it myself.

A couple of weeks ago my dad saw Maks and Czari and asked me if I'd gotten more cats. I told him I'd had them for a while aready, Maks for over a year, but he'd just never seen them because they hide when someone knocks on the door.

Old January 3rd, 2009, 11:35 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase_Mom View Post
That one looks pretty promising I think....I really like the design. Let us know how it goes if you get it!
Yeah, since it's smaller I'm thinking it might be quieter and easier to manipulate. If I get it at some point, I'll post about it.

Old January 3rd, 2009, 03:56 PM
Senior Contributor

it makes very little noise, it took Brina about 20 minutes of "touch" (treat), touch, (treat) and then I was able to use it on her, she doesn't mind it at all, I do a couple toes while cuddling on the couch, you have to make sure you're holding the toe you're working on so you don't hurt them, its a pretty good tool, I had her nails cut just before I started with it so now we take off the ends and keep them pretty short.
Old January 3rd, 2009, 04:05 PM
-

Melinda , do you have the Peticure or the Petipaws ?
Old January 3rd, 2009, 04:26 PM
Jag and Gingers dad

It did jags nails no problem and made them nice and smooth the ones i did and he as thick nails