Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old July 23rd, 2013, 06:54 PM

Barking wont stop around kids!! NEED ADVICE

I need advice; I have a 7 month old Chihuahua, he is a male and not neutered yet but I have the papers so hopefully soon. I like to take him out for walks and whenever a kid comes near us he flips out barking and trying to chase after them. I don't understand this behavior because I have a 6 year old daughter who he loves and is great with. I don't know what to do because I can't take him anywhere for fear a child might try to approach us. Also, I need to start training him to stay home alone, I think he has anxiety when left alone (getting rid of him is not an option). Is it too late to train him? Any advice will be helpful
Old July 23rd, 2013, 07:00 PM

What kind of training have you done with him so far? How do you react when he starts to bark at the kids?

I would suggest finding someone who is familiar with Behaviour Adjustment Training (http://functionalrewards.com/). The trick is to treat and praise the dog within a certain distance of the object that is causing the reaction (dogs, cars, kids, etc). You slowly work your way closer until that object no longer causes such a reaction. I'm pretty sure the website will explain it better!

Good luck.

Edited to add: What kind of leash are you walking him on? If he's on a shorter leash, he can't chase after children..?
Old July 23rd, 2013, 07:10 PM

Thank- You, I have been using an extractable leash, but even if I keep the leash right by me.. he still tries to run and today he did almost a 360. I guess I haven't don't much training with him. Other than having the child come walk up to him slowly than letting him smell their hand but never fails soon as they walk off he is at it again. I just took my daughter out on her bike and she met up with a little friend who is 7 and the whole 30 min was a nightmare. I have been thinking of finding a trainer or obedience school. He is also so attached to me, follows me everywhere. I don't think this is normal behavior either. ughh!
Old July 23rd, 2013, 07:26 PM

I'd start tonight by retiring that flexi leash and getting one with a bit more control - or keep the flexi locked in place, keeping your dog within 4 ft of you at all times. There is no need for your dog to not be next to you while walking (unless it's a remote area, beach, etc where you want some extra sniffing space)

And yes, I think it's time for some obedience classes - it's a great class for both the puppers to learn some manners AND you will learn a lot as well. Highly recommend you look for a class/trainer that promotes positive reinforcement.

The great news is your pup is still young and there is lots of time to get this all under control
Old July 23rd, 2013, 09:57 PM

Thank-You for your help! I def. will be looking into some obedience classes! :-)