Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old April 10th, 2013, 09:40 AM

Drinking a lot and vomiting

My dog drinks a ton of water then throws up! Only nine pounds, he will drink any amount, and out of whatever. He throws up every day usually more than once. He used to be a stray. He is not very active, he prefers laying around. He gets VERY aggressive when it comes to water. If you catch him drinking out of the toilet or licking the shower he gets very angry and snaps which is unlike him, he is a pretty calm dog. This has been going on for a very long time (about a year or so). It suddenly came on, it wasn't very gradual. We tried the veterinarian and they thought it might be a parasite. They gave him meds but it didn't work.
We really don't have the money right now to take him in early for another appointment.

Thank you so much!
Old April 10th, 2013, 10:00 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

This is obviously not normal and to me seems like a medical problem. I have no other suggestion than see a vet I'm afraid.
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old April 10th, 2013, 10:26 AM

I think sometimes it helps if you raise the water bowl; and/or put ice cubes in it to slow him down when drinking water - if he is maybe drinking too fast.

maybe, is that being a stray he didn't have enough access to water and so now he is just taking as much as he can. But I would still consider another trip to the vet, as it could be the result of a health problem...

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
Old April 10th, 2013, 10:58 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by skymybird View Post
My dog drinks a ton of water then throws up! Only nine pounds, he will drink any amount, and out of whatever. He throws up every day usually more than once. He used to be a stray. He is not very active, he prefers laying around. He gets VERY aggressive when it comes to water. If you catch him drinking out of the toilet or licking the shower he gets very angry and snaps which is unlike him, he is a pretty calm dog. This has been going on for a very long time (about a year or so). It suddenly came on, it wasn't very gradual. We tried the veterinarian and they thought it might be a parasite. They gave him meds but it didn't work.
We really don't have the money right now to take him in early for another appointment.

Thank you so much!
I am surprised your vet did not test your dog to see if he has any medical issues, there are a few medical issues that will cause a dog to drink more water, I hope you can find a way to get your dog to a vet , he could get dehydrated very easy being a small dog.
Old April 10th, 2013, 11:28 AM
Senior Contributor

You might want to read this post by Dr. Lee regarding excessive water consumption: http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread....er+consumption

What sort of tests did your vet do the first time?

As Dr. Lee mentions, if funds are tight, start with a urinalysis. Shouldn't cost that much and will help narrow down some of the possible causes.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old April 10th, 2013, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarcatmom View Post
You might want to read this post by Dr. Lee regarding excessive water consumption: http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread....er+consumption

What sort of tests did your vet do the first time?

As Dr. Lee mentions, if funds are tight, start with a urinalysis. Shouldn't cost that much and will help narrow down some of the possible causes.
I believe they did do that as they had to get his urine. They did the normal tests too for a regular check up and he came up clean.

Jull: We have tried that because sometimes it does seem like he is nearly inhaling his water. We got a special bowl that is supposed to slow him down but he is too smart and found a loophole. We do give him little portions now. It just seems like no matter how much we give him, he still isn't satisfied. He will sit and drink the toilet dry then go somewhere and vomit. Is there any way to make him drink slower other than what you have listed?

It might be that he was a stray but we have had him for nearly 8 yrs now and this only started happening about two years ago so.. He does have extreme anxiety problems to the point where if a phone vibrates he sits in the corner and shakes for an hour and nothing will calm him. I don't know if that could be a factor because he was always like that.

Thank you all for helping. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old April 24th, 2013, 01:35 AM
Senior Contributor

I would find an internal medicine vet and get a consultation. Ask your vet if s/he knows a good one, they can be a life saver. I know an amazing one in our town who has the best instincts, he's been a lifesaver for my last three dogs, when the vets thought they knew what was going on.

The shaking makes me think of digesitve issues, paarticularly combined with the *new* behaviour with the water. For example, my dog has been having shivering incidents, which we thought was related to her anxiety, but it turn out she is infected with clostridia, which is producing a toxin, and she's a completely different dog when on antibiotics.

Good luck with this, it's awful when you know something I wrong, but can't figure it out.