Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > In the News - Pet related articles and stories in the press > Newspaper Articles of Interest (animal/pet related) from Around the World

Old February 6th, 2007, 08:51 PM
Owned by goldens

Another SPCA seizure

The SPCA Monteregie was involved in another seizure last night. This time I think I heard 19 dogs were rescued from living outdoors tied to dog houses that they couldn't get into because their chains were stuck in the snow and ice. They had no water but they had some frozen turkeys to eat. Some had collars imbedded in their necks.

What is wrong with people?
Old February 6th, 2007, 08:54 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by coppperbelle View Post
What is wrong with people?
They suck coppperbelle, some people suck big time.
Old February 6th, 2007, 08:56 PM
Live well, laugh often

That is so awful :sad: . I was just looking at some of the other pics from the last siezure and was all choked up.

Is Monteregie completely seperate from the other Montreal SPCA issues? Does anyone know if we can donate $ directly to this SPCA for the last two siezures?
Old February 6th, 2007, 08:57 PM

Vive le Quebec?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeriM View Post
That is so awful :sad: . I was just looking at some of the other pics from the last siezure and was all choked up.

Is Monteregie completely seperate from the other Montreal SPCA issues? Does anyone know if we can donate $ directly to this SPCA for the last two siezures?
Yes, it's separate. Go to www.spcamonteregie.com
Blue eyed funny farm

I dont know how people could be so cruel?? I put meiko out for 5 minutes while i went to the store tonight and when i pulled in, he was standing by his house SHAKING

Some people are heartless. :sad:
Old February 6th, 2007, 09:09 PM
-

From what I heard, these dogs (18 dogs, a horse too) didn't even had any shelter. One was (they tought) preparing to give birth when I was there earlier :sad: but I saw other ones from that same seizure outside and they were playing and running, I think they were pretty happy to be there!
Old February 6th, 2007, 09:51 PM
Senior Contributor

Here's the article....

Published: Tuesday, February 06, 2007
Twenty-one animals found chained outdoors in minus 30 degree temperatures with little food and no water on a property in Montérégie are recovering safely in the hands of the regional SPCA, its director said Tuesday.

Many of the 18 dogs and one puppy seized from the La Présentation residence, 60 kilometres east of Montreal, Monday night had open, infected wounds on their necks from the tightly wound chains and old collars used to tie them up and are to be seen by a veterinarian today, Linda Robertson said.

“We had to take them with their chains because we couldn’t take them off their necks,” she said. “A lot of the dogs had the chains embedded.”

The dogs, which include Huskies, a pregnant part-Boxer, mixed Labradors and a Malamute, were found in a field abutting the main house.

They were tied with thick, 6-metre long chains attached to a metal pole, and although each had a doghouse the chains were so twisted around the pole that, except for the puppy, they were unable to reach shelter, Robertson said.

The only signs of food were several frozen geese carcasses scattered nearby.

A pony found chained to a truck on another field along with a horse left to wander freely are being cared for by an SPCA volunteer at her home.

The six-week-old Husky puppy has been placed together with the SPCA’s cats for maximum quiet and comfort.

Provincial police are to question the owner of the property later this week and determine whether he will be charged with animal cruelty, in which case the animals would remain at the Montérégie SPCA in Ste. Angèle de Monnoir, about 35 kilometers southwest of La Présentation.
Old February 6th, 2007, 09:56 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by poodletalk View Post
and determine whether he will be charged with animal cruelty,
whether , I hate that word he SHOULD be charge. BTW I saw the husky puppy
Old February 6th, 2007, 10:19 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

What is this world coming to? I just dont understand the neglect?

How can people make a difference! I get the whole donations etc will help but my god we need to change the law!! People get away with this each and everyime and nothing changes!! I am so frustrated with this!

Why is it that some people think animals should be outside... neglected, without food, water ,suffering the elements?? I pray that each and everyone of these individuals that are involved in such horrific acts are some day punished! I guess as they say I hope "what goes around comes around!!"...

Sorry to vent!

Cindy
:sad:
Old February 7th, 2007, 12:09 AM
Meaghan Edwards

That is so sad Dogs ask for so little, what do people like them give in return?
Old February 7th, 2007, 12:13 AM
Boss-lady!

So sad! :sad: I just don't get how people can do things like this. Why do some people seem to think that animals don't suffer?

"You can't have a good day in bad underwear"- Fruit of the Loom ad
Old February 7th, 2007, 07:21 AM
An Honest Contributor
Fishing the Sea Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, KickUps Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Aski Champion, Ping Champion

Our pets are forced to leave in horrible conditions here in Quebec. Where's Anima Quebec, where's our MSPCA and how come our police won't enforce the criminal code? A neighbor said she made many many complaints over the last two years ... why are animals forced to endure such cruelty? We have horrible winters and equally horrible summer heat :sad: http://www.canada.com/montrealgazett...88f89e&k=96009

Dogs had chains embedded in their necksMonteregie rescue. Pony, horse and 21 dogs recovering with help of SPCA, volunteers

KAZI STASTNA, The Gazette
Published: Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Twenty-one animals found chained outdoors in minus 30 degree temperatures with little food and no water on a property in Monteregie are recovering in the care of the regional SPCA, its director said yesterday.

Many of the 18 dogs and one puppy seized on Monday night from the La Presentation residence, 60 kilometres east of Montreal, had open, infected wounds on their necks from the tightly wound chains and old collars used to tie them up, Linda Robertson said.

They are to be seen by a veterinarian today, she said.

"We had to take them with their chains because we couldn't take them off their necks," she said.

"A lot of the dogs had the chains embedded."

The dogs, which include huskies, a pregnant part-boxer, mixed labradors and a malamute, were found in a field abutting the main house. They were tied with thick, six-metre long chains attached to a metal pole. Although each had a doghouse, the chains were so twisted around the pole that, except for the puppy, they were unable to reach shelter, Robertson said.

The only signs of food were several frozen geese carcasses scattered nearby.

A pony found chained to a truck on another field along with a horse left to wander freely are being cared for by an SPCA volunteer at her home.

The 6-week-old husky puppy has been placed with the SPCA's cats.

Provincial police are to question the owner of the property this week and determine whether he will be charged with animal cruelty, in which case the animals would remain at the Monteregie SPCA in Ste. Angele de Monnoir, about 35 kilometres southwest of La Presentation.

An SPCA volunteer first noticed the chained animals last week while driving past the property, which, Robertson said, is littered with old cars, trucks, household appliances and other debris that the municipality has warned the owner to clean up on several occasions.

After two preliminary surveys of the site, the SPCA decided to intervene Monday night because of the extreme cold and with the help of a search warrant obtained by the Surete du Quebec.

"The big concern was shelter, and we never saw any water," Robertson said.

The owner arrived as the police and SPCA workers were leaving but "didn't say too much," she said. kstastna@thegazette.canwest.com

Karen Muller of the Monteregie SPCA shows a husky malamute dog's chain dug into its flesh. The 6-week-old puppy has been placed with the SPCA's cats.
Attached Images

Old February 7th, 2007, 08:15 AM
Senior Contributor

I don't believe in karma anymore,people capable of this kind of horror,have no heart,no conscience,feel no mercy for other living beeings and he will live a long life,not caring for anything or anybody..
Nothing less than a life in jail with a chain around his neck would make up for the suffering he caused But we all know what kind of punishment he'll get!!
People need to stand up and scream,sign petitions,write their MP's,this horror has to end!
I thank the people who bring this kind of tragedy out in the open,who alert the SPCA,so these dogs and all the others at least have a warm place and food,maybe even a happy future:love:
Old February 7th, 2007, 09:26 AM

The horse and the pony are being cared for by refugerr.If anyone is interested they have a website www.refugerr.org or e mail atblick.gerg@sympatico.ca.They could also use donations,they are paying to ship horse and pony to foster care.
Old February 7th, 2007, 09:47 AM
An Honest Contributor
Fishing the Sea Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, KickUps Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Aski Champion, Ping Champion

That is so kind of them, I seen her on the news this morning. people open their hearts and give generously to both rescues. Funding is no doubt needed very badly

O wait a minute maybe Barnoti can donate some of his funds he solicited to help them It's a thought
Old February 7th, 2007, 06:02 PM

Omg, that pic is so horrible! Poor doggy! Aw.. :sad:
Old February 7th, 2007, 07:21 PM
Owned by goldens

Another SPCA seizure

Personally I want to know what Anima Quebec is doing. I know there are only two investigators yada,yada,yada. Who is on the board of Anima Quebec? Are they helping the SPCA Monteregie? Are they investigating what is happening at the SPCA in Montreal?
The neighbor had been making complaints for two years and they were ignored. Maybe the police need to be educated also.
It is uncomprehensible to me how people can treat an animal this way.
Old February 7th, 2007, 07:22 PM

Yeah, there are two inspectors but how come the two aren't busting ANYbody?
Old February 7th, 2007, 07:44 PM
An Honest Contributor

Their open for business but the gov't doesn't give them the funding like gas $ to even drive all the way to Montreal much less pay their lunch. O but they do take complaints very seriously then all 3 employees spend the rest of their day filing it away

Last edited by Golden Girls; February 7th, 2007 at 07:47 PM. Reason: rephrased
Old February 7th, 2007, 07:46 PM
An Honest Contributor

I don't even want to say who's on the board of Anima Quebec
Old February 7th, 2007, 07:53 PM
-

This is just so sad. :sad: Why don't they start charging these bastids? And, I presume the geese that he was feeding froze to death themselves. :sad:
Old February 7th, 2007, 07:58 PM
Owned by goldens

Another SPCA seizure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Girls View Post
I don't even want to say who's on the board of Anima Quebec
Me neither.:sad:
Old February 7th, 2007, 08:53 PM
An Honest Contributor

ok I can't help myself http://www.animaquebec.com/index.php...id=48&Itemid=6 Louis McCann himself, the Pet Industry Pusher. Can the problem in Quebec get any clearer?
Old February 7th, 2007, 08:55 PM
An Honest Contributor

aww Rainbow I didn't even think about the poor geese :sad:
Old February 7th, 2007, 11:17 PM

Where is Anima-Québec?

http://www.tqs.ca/infos/estrie/2007/...oisse-5129.php

Slowly, but surely, something will come out of this. Changes for the best or a miserable failure. They're going at it very slowly. This is their second or third 'bust' that made it to the media. Couple of cases going to court last I heard, nothing settled yet.

I do agree they can be accused of being overly cautious but I don't feel they have a lot of liberty. They can't really bite the hand that 'feeds' them. BYBs know they are around and keeping tabs on them. I would not be surprised they meet with local public officials and police people, who become more and more aware of what happens in their backyard.

We would all like things to change faster but give them a chance: Rome wasn't built in one day and animal practices won't change in the space of two years in Quebec...
Old February 11th, 2007, 06:01 PM
boubou

One of the dogs from the seizure did give birth three days ago - to 13 PUPPIES!!!!!!!!! The mother is a mixed Boxer. We really need to find a foster home for her.

If anyone is interested, contact me via email.......
Old February 11th, 2007, 06:53 PM
An Honest Contributor

13 pupppies, poor mom.
Old February 11th, 2007, 07:26 PM
-

I agree....hugs for momma and I hope someone can foster them all.
Old February 13th, 2007, 09:29 PM

Quote:
A neighbor said she made many many complaints over the last two years
Anyone know who she complained to?