Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old September 12th, 2007, 08:55 PM

Cushings Disease

I have an 8-1/2 year old shih-tzu. 2 and 1/2 years ago she was diagnosed as diabetic. Excluding a period of about six months we have not been able to keep her levels out of the poor range. The vet now thinks she may have cushings disease and on Friday I have to take her in for tests. Makes me wonder if that's what she had all along. I've done some research on the disease and have located an herbal remedy called PetAlive Cushex Drops. I am wondering if anyone has any opinions on this remedy. Any info on the treatment, herbal or therwise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old September 13th, 2007, 03:16 AM

We had a shih zu that was thirteen and diagnosed with cushings. At the time it was not very important as her life was pretty much coming to an end anyways. When we adopted her at ten yrs old she had Congestive heart disease, high blood pressure and fluid on her heart. Medication kept her going for her three yrs with us, then she developed cancer in her woman parts and a prolapsed uterus which was coming out 8-10 times a day at the end. Nothing we could due for her, as the vet said "she had three yrs that she wouldn't have had" . As far as the Cushings, it played a small factor in the end , but not very significant. I didn't do any research on it so I can't give any advice,, Good luck and I hope everything turns out well,,
Dobb
Old September 13th, 2007, 10:08 AM
-

I don't have any personal experience with Cushings but am wondering if in your www travels you have come across this site
www.caninecushings.net which one of our members found very useful in dealing with this disease.
Old September 14th, 2007, 05:17 AM

Thanks very much for the info.