Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Rescue (Adopt) a dog - listings

Old March 6th, 2005, 01:14 AM

Young blind pup for adoption

Hi all,

I just picked up a young (9-10 wks old) pup who was going to be euthanised. He is part pitbull, not sure with what yet as he is still so puppyish looking and don't have any paperwork yet (not sure if I'll even get any). Unfortunately, he is blind, which is why he was going to be put down. I believe he comes from a puppy mill or a back yard breeder, he was dumped at the SPCA because he was blind. He has a cut on his ear, which looks to me deliberate. Some kind of puncher did this.

His eyes really don't look bad, though, and I am going to teach him to wear sunglasses. He is the sweetest thing ever, extremely friendly and affectionate, and always around. He follows everywhere you go, really looks for the sound of your voice and comes to you. He bumps into things but never utters a peep. He may see some light as when I took pictures, he seemed to see the flash (pictures will be available tomorrow or later tonight).

Feel free to crosspost this to anyone you feel might want to give this little guy a chance. He truly is a gem.

I am also looking for suggestions for a name, my son likes Willy (as William the conqueror), but I'm open to suggestions.

You can e-mail me for more info at sophie@rimasec.net
Old March 6th, 2005, 01:21 AM

I really want to adopt a pit with a disability, would love to help one out. i would love to help but unfortunetly i'm way too far away and my apartment only allows 2 animals (my dog and my cat). I hope this little baby finds a good home. can't wait to see the pics. I have a soft spot for blind pups, my grandmother is totally blind so i'm used to the not moving things around lol. keep us updated.

Candi- Italian Greyhound
Cash- Italian Greyhound
Jasmine- Tabby cat
Old March 6th, 2005, 06:48 AM
Senior Contributor

I can't wait to see the pictures of this little guy! Cute name would be Stevie Wonder. When growing up, people didn't think he would accomplish much because he was blind! Look at him now, reminds me of this pup. My friend has a blind cat and it gets around just fine. I aslo have a neighbour who has a blind chocklate lab, he went blind when he was young 2-3 years old, and he has no problem in the house or getting around.I am sure you will be able to find a great home for your pup!
Old March 6th, 2005, 11:02 AM
Senior Contributor

Oh poor baby!

I will be glad to list him on my site. I hope some kind person will take pity on him.

Since a dog's vision isn't all that great to start with, and they rely much more on ears and nose, blindness isn't that much of a handicap and I'm sure he'll do just fine!

THANK you for helping him!
Old March 6th, 2005, 12:37 PM

Pit pup

Hey guys,

I thought of Stevie myself, as in Stevie the Wonder dog! People are of course, telling me "Ray", and my son thought Willie as in William the Conqueror. So, maybe Stevie the Wonder dog will be it.

He is the sweetest thing, very young, but very alert. He comes to the sound of your voice, and is so cute when he bumps into things. He backs up and his tail wags.

Hasn't uttered a peep yet since he's been here, seems like he's going to be a very mellow and good dog.

Let me try and upload some pix, not sure if it's going to work.

<br><br>

Hope it works!
Old March 6th, 2005, 01:52 PM
Senior Contributor

OH what a precious baby. I'll list him right away.

Sophie I will email you!
Old March 6th, 2005, 01:55 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

OMG he is so beautiful, and he looks like a Stevie!
I pray he finds a loving forever home !

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old March 6th, 2005, 02:18 PM
Adopt a senior dog!!

oh my god, he's breaking my heart! what a cutie pie. he looks strong!
BoxerRescueQuebec.com
Old March 6th, 2005, 02:40 PM
Senior Contributor

Crystal, can you list this baby as well? Let's get him a home!!
Old March 6th, 2005, 03:35 PM
<-----nut ball

Aww...looks like he has cherry eye in one of those eyes. Has he been to the vet to determine the cause of the blindness? I know cherry eye can cause ulcers in the eye and blindness, but if the cherry eye is fixed, and the ulcer heals, he may be able to see again.
Old March 6th, 2005, 04:50 PM
Senior Contributor

What a little cutie,got me all teary just looking at him....thank's Lil'Rickymom,for taking him in....you get the angel award,once again
Old March 6th, 2005, 04:52 PM

He is soooo cute!!! It won't take long to find him a home I'm sure What a little
Old March 6th, 2005, 10:41 PM
Senior member - formerly goldengirl

I could not get the pictures to open for me. I am away this week, until Thurs night, but if I can help with home visits or transport for this little one, just let me know. My dad was blind, so this little guy has my extra special attention.
Old March 6th, 2005, 11:06 PM

Cool glasses

Here's another picture of the pup with glasses. It's not Cherry Eye, I think he's part Boxer and it's the Boxer eyes. I haven't been able to get any paperwork yet, I'm going to try tomorrow from the SPCA, but I want to schedule him for vaccines and a check-up as soon as I can.

He might be close to 3 months after all, he already weighs 18 lbs!! His testicles are just barely starting to show, so.... I'd say now between 10-12 wks. He is absolutely adorable, though, a real doll.
Old March 7th, 2005, 08:54 AM
Adopt a senior dog!!

Definatley!

I will post him on our site with your info Sophie!
BoxerRescueQuebec.com
Old March 7th, 2005, 12:49 PM

I have offered to drive this fellow to the vet, but I am gone until Friday now. If Sophie needs help before then, can someone else drive her ??

I have also passed on the info to the organizer of MontrealBlindPetsmeetup group. I am sure they can help with ideas to train this little fellow and provide support for his forever home too.
Old March 7th, 2005, 09:46 PM

Thanks

Thanks BoxerRescue. By the way, the more I look at him, the more I see some boxer mix in him. What are your thoughts? Mostly his front legs and ears!

Goldengirl, I haven't been able to get an appointment yet, but worst comes to worst, I can try taking him on the bus. He is so cute with those glasses! How can they resist?

Some info on how to train him might be good.... He picks up everything, as he thinks they're toys and he can't see the difference. Wires are his big thing!!! They're kind of like rope toys...

He's adorable as can be though, a wonderful little devil!!
Old March 7th, 2005, 09:50 PM
banned user

Omg, he's sooooo cute!!! Look at the size of his paws!!! They're huge! I sure do hope he finds a wonderful home soon. He really deserves it! :love:
Old March 7th, 2005, 10:18 PM
Adopt a senior dog!!

No prob, Sophie! To be honest, I kinda find he looks pure pittie...He seems too thick and muscular to be part boxer puppy(they are really lanky at that age), he's got no black mask, and not an bit of that boxer squishyness (my technical terms, haha) in his face. It's too long and not even a hint of the boxer jowls. But then again, ya never know, huh? His ears are boxer, but pitties and boxers have similiar ears. Either way, he is really stunning. I wish I didn't have a condo stuffed to the brim with 4 legged creatures. Uncle Monty especially wouldn't be impressed with another male pittie in the house. Then I'd have to call myself Pitbull Rescue instead of Boxer Rescue cuz the boxers would be outnumbered...hmmm

p.s. That was my friend Deb you spoke to tonight, Sophie. About the 2 pittie pups with the homeless guy..
BoxerRescueQuebec.com
Old March 7th, 2005, 10:34 PM
Senior Contributor

Sophie, he's getting a lot of views on my site. Of course, many people lose interest when they open the listing and see that he's blind. But maybe one person won't!!

I don't see any boxer in him either. His huge paws and thick legs are not very pit bull-like. He may be mixed with a very large breed - like Great Dane or mastiff.
Old March 8th, 2005, 01:27 AM

Look at those feet!! I am also thinking large breed, those could be the ears of a dane because those are certainly the paws of a dane!
Old March 8th, 2005, 01:33 AM

Stevie the Wonder Dog

No boxer huh? Great Dane or Mastiff? He does have huge paws, and some black around the eyes, so I had thought St-Bernard maybe. What amazes me is that he is tiny, smaller than my dog, but weighs the same. 18 lbs. He only looks about 10-12 lbs.

I got the papers from the SPCA (not much at all) and it says he is 3-4 months old and was surrendered because he was too hyper with kids and blind. Hmmm. Not sure that he's 3-4 months. Even though, he is starting to nibble a lot so.... I might try to find the person who surrendered him and call to get some more info. It does say pitbull, though, nothing else!

I guess he's Stevie the mysterious Wonder Dog!!

As for people not wanting him because he's blind, hey,.... I've been through it with Lil'Ricky being deaf. But those glasses are just to die for. I'm going to buy him different ones, put cute little scarves on him, and he'll be a doll. Someone will have it in their heart to adopt him. :love:
Old March 8th, 2005, 01:42 AM

blindness

By the way guys, here's what it says about his eyes on the SPCA stuff:

microphtalmia O.D.? corne
opacificaen : O.G. - absence de corne?

Obviously he's totally blind in the left eye, but not sure about the right. Anyone out there know anything about this? I'm working full time all week and don't even have access to a phone, so I can't do much till next week. If anyone can enlighten me, be my guest!

Thanks
Old March 8th, 2005, 12:41 PM
<-----nut ball

micropthmalia means small eye..which can have other complications and often causes blindness.
Old March 8th, 2005, 03:44 PM
banned user

Thumbs up I want him

Anwyay you could get him to Toronto or halfway id take him in a heartbeat i dont care that hes blind!!!

my email is janedoe1311@hotmail.com
Old March 8th, 2005, 03:47 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Last edited by BMDLuver; March 8th, 2005 at 03:50 PM.
Old March 8th, 2005, 11:13 PM

Blindness

thanks raingirl. When you say complications, do you mean after or which lead to blindness? Because he is definitely already blind in that eye, can it sread to the other, is it something he is born with that will get worst, does it remain the same, will he be more prone to infection?

You may not know all this, but since you seem knowledgeable and I don't have time until next week to get to a vet, if you can enlighten me on the subject, it would be great.
Old March 9th, 2005, 08:30 AM

Awe is Stevie going to Toronto??!!

Old March 9th, 2005, 09:19 AM
<-----nut ball

the Micropthalmia was the only thing I could research. The rest I couldn't get any info on. Is that exactly how it was spelt? maybe Corne is supposed to be cornea??

I need the correct spelling of opacificaen to help you with that one. If it is opacification, that means there is a cataract (I think) which would explain the blue haze in his eye. and maybe he doesn't have a cornea in that eye (which means the blindness is inoperable). Maybe because of the cataract, the doc couldn't see the cornea? cataracts are operable, so maybe he may be able to see out of that eye with surgery?

Micropthalmia is congenital, therefore there at birth, and he was probably blind at birth. I was reading a little, and it depends on what complications came with the small eye that would determine if he will have ongoing eye problems. Because of the small eye, maybe he may get dry eye or have small blood vessels prone to infection??

OK..I feel stupid! I just realised you are in quebec, and the vet is french most likely. Corne translates to Horn...I will research that now!!

Last edited by raingirl; March 9th, 2005 at 09:28 AM.
Old March 11th, 2005, 10:40 AM

transport

If Sophie approves the adoption (and it works with the new Ontario laws), I am going to Oshawa for Easter (in 2 weeks), or could meet her in Kingston next Sunday.