Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Introduce yourself here - Say hello

Old May 23rd, 2011, 04:43 PM

New puppy owner

Hey everyone,

My girlfriend and I got a new pug/beagle cross puppy last weekend. She's super sweet (when she's not trying to bite me) and house breaking seems to be going decently well (or so I'm told). My only issue so far is I'm finding myself extremely stressed by the new addition to our home. The day after we got our puppy, my girlfriend came down with the flu and is still not 100%, so I'm doing an majority of the puppy training and housework. As said, I'm pretty stressed out, but I know that things are going to get better. Any tips for me not having a complete break down until everything starts settling down?

Thanks!
Old May 23rd, 2011, 09:38 PM
Doggie Wench

Welcome to pets.ca, Sunaj52 .

When we had our first litter of foster pups, I could have sworn it was just like having newborn babies in the house. The only exception is that with pups, it only lasts a couple of months, if that, whereas with skin babies, it can go on for years. You can take comfort in that . If it's lack of sleep that's your biggest problem right now, try to nap when the puppy naps until your girlfriend starts to feel better.

Love to see pics of your 'baby' .
Old May 24th, 2011, 07:07 AM
Senior Contributor

just think of all the pleasure you'll have once the work is over...and believe it or not..you'll probably miss it.....if you want to calm down before you have a nervous breakdown...put the pup on your lap and pet him.....nothing like a cuddly pup to put you in the right spirit
Old May 24th, 2011, 09:04 AM

hey guys,

Thanks for the words of encouragement, I know that things will settle down soonish . I'll see what I can do about getting pictures of the pup on here.
Old May 24th, 2011, 11:19 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Maybe if you can tell us exactly what it is this tiny puppy is doing to cause you such stress we could help you more? Having such a little thing entirely depend on your good graces can be stressful - for the pup too. Can you imagine how the pup must feel to all of a sudden have to do things these new beings in it's universe wants it to do? Going outdoors to pee/poo? No biting? Only eat the food these beings put down for it? Heavens!! Can you just imagine what must be going on in this little ones' head? And you are stressed out?

I'm going to give you some reading to do. Yay!! But in all seriousness, the more you know about puppies and their idiosyncrasies, the better. For you and the pup.

http://puppycare101.com/

http://www.101-dog-training-tips.com...ng/index.shtml

http://www.animalforum.com/dpuppy101.htm

http://www.the-puppy-dog-place.com

That should give you a good base to start with.

Ummm, you and your girlfriend aren't planning on having kids any time soon, are you? 'Cause if you're feeling stress with one tiny pup - you're in for a whole new experience when it comes to the skin kids!!!

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old May 24th, 2011, 07:22 PM

Ha....yeah, not going to be even thinking about kids for awhile. I guess whats draining me the most is her constant energy. I'll play with her for about 30 minutes after her trips outside, but alot of the time thats not enough....and after a full day of work it gets to be a little much. The lack of sleep is definitely a contributing factor also. The g/f and I alternate each night getting up with the pup to go outside but most of the time we end up waking up each other anyways, even with ear plugs. I've been told the "Oh god I can't do this" feeling will go away after a couple of weeks, but it's still pressing pretty hard on me. I know that if I can make it through the first month to 2 months everything will start going up dramatically, but it's still kinda hard when you're only 1 1/2 weeks into it.