Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old December 6th, 2003, 03:28 PM

Exclamation please help my siberan huskey chews every thing insight

We have had our sibersn huskey for about a month now,he is 12 months old and is very stubborn I can't get him to do anything. He has completley destroyed everything in our yard (which is completley fenced in) he is hungary all the time and will eat anything! He refuses to take a bath and doesn't like any male dogs when he sees one walking down the road he goes crazy and runs to the fence barking and growling as if he could kill them! I have tried everything from praise,treats to doggy bones and nothing helps could someone please give me some advice? can this type dog be trained?
Old December 6th, 2003, 04:00 PM
Senior Contributor

Just curious, did you do any research on this breed before the getting your dog? This is definitely not a breed for someone who is not very athetic and active.

If you had you would see that huskies can be very difficult to train, are stubborn and need tremendous amounts of exercise. They can also never be let off leash because they will run.

What exercise are you giving your dog? He sounds bored and frustrated. All I read is that he is in the yard - this will not work.

This is a breed that can pull a sled 40 miles a day. If your dog is not getting sufficient exercise he WILL destroy things and misbehave.

Is he neutered? If not, do so. Next enroll in a good obedience school, preferably where the trainer understands northern breeds. After that, try and find a club where you can have your dog pull.

And exercise him like crazy.
Old December 6th, 2003, 07:30 PM
Senior Contributor

Yes as Lucky said,they can be stubborn.And thick as a brick.My sister has 3.Mother,daughter and son.Mom Sydney is 7 and Amanda(daughter)and son Kelley are 6.These dogs are VERY active.They needs lots of excersise.And lots of walks.I take it you have not had him since he was a pup?Training should start early at age for this breed.Has he been socialized with other dogs?He definately needs training.And only if huskies are well trained are they able to be off leash.Seen a few at the dog park.Good luck.
Old January 9th, 2004, 03:32 PM

Thumbs up Patience is Required

My family has been Siberian Husky owners for over 20 years now, they are extreamly loveable and VERY independant. They are trainable, and with enough hard work you will have a very smart and obediant dog. Without the hard work, you will have one very smart alpha dog on your hands that will walk over you.
If not trained properly Huskies will act out in spite, and if not excersized enough will take out there energy on your home. This we learned the hard way with our first husky- holes in walls, missing baseboards etc...
But, a Siberian Husky is a wonderful pet- they are excellent with children have a great deal of patience and are a very low maintenance dog with little health problems.
All in all, a wonderful breed of dog!
Old January 9th, 2004, 03:54 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Everyone has said enough and for once I am going to keep my mouth shut!
Attached Images

Old January 9th, 2004, 04:32 PM
Senior Contributor

Thank you Nova, for the "voice of experience." Sadly too many people get dogs without thinking about what that dog was bred to do.

They see a dog on a Disney movie behaving in ways that no dog will without extensive training, and rush out and get one.

The sad consequences of this are shelters full of the "Dog du Jour" - Dalmatians, Huskies, etc.
Old January 22nd, 2004, 04:38 AM
Chocolate

haha!

I remember when my Chocolate did that during his growing years and I was working 2 jobs...

give in the attention he needs, and most of all, DON'T BABY HIM!!

take him to dog parks so he can release his energy on the other dogs, and not you!

obedience training could definitely be good, and it's gotta be ongoing!

you could even get him a Kong, it's time consuming enough
Old September 9th, 2004, 10:18 AM

Lightbulb its possible

i have a hasky she is the most loving sweet and above all calm, cow knee bones are great, they can chew on thoughs till there hearts contents. to try this out buy 2 or 3 see how long one lasts, if it prevents your dog from chewing everything else its a good thing if she chews otherthings try putting tabbasco sauce in her mouth when you catch her red handed dont do it if you find something chewed she wont know y shes being punished.ONLY do it if you catch her in the act
Old September 12th, 2004, 09:01 PM
Senior Contributor

Huskys will act out of spite. Are you excersizing him an hour of hard excersizing a day? Is he neutered? Have you been to obedience school?