Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > In the News - Pet related articles and stories in the press > Newspaper Articles of Interest (animal/pet related) from Around the World

Old November 27th, 2008, 04:02 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

I am not going to even comment on the story because I cant see for my own eyes. However I want to say a couple of things that I am sure are not going to be taken well but at this point it needs to be said.

Why cant we all agree to disagree? We all are individuals with an opinion. We will never come to a consensus?? Really?

This is starting to become a regular occurence on this site and it is getting to be a downer? Why do we have to beraid people, insult them, talk down to them like they are below all of us? Why cant we just discuss and offer opinions or suggestions and take them as they are a suggestion? It is getting kind of tiring for me anyway to see how some folks are treated? come on guys we are human beings with feelings? I am not defending any particular thread even this one! Its with all of them lately?

Why couldnt ACO22 put here opinion or experiences on here without being judged? Like I said I am not defending any one person but come on we can be a little more civilized?

I dont know about everyone but it would be really sad for others to come here searching for help and see some of the judgemental inconsiderate comments that have been thrown around....and I mean on other threads too!!

Sorry for the rant! But that is my 2cents on the issue..
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old November 27th, 2008, 04:24 PM
-

I agree with you Winston. There is absolutely no reason that ACO22 shouldn't be able to put her/his opinion or experiences for us all to read. All too often ACO22's attitude with people is a bit over the top and condescending. In this instance she/he was rather rude to 14k - completely unacceptable. I myself have been called 'naive' and 'my dear' by ACO22 in a condescending manner. I find that unnecessary
Old November 27th, 2008, 04:29 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Its not about that! really...I think that an awful lot of judgements are made here and that is really not called for. I agree the tone in which we type our responses is rude and ABSOLUTLEY not called for by anyone here!

I think that we would be a far better place to try to educate people....we wont teach them anything by being rude.

There have been many times I wanted to go and give someone a piece of my mind but held back because it wont help the situation any...what happens? they leave and nothing has happened to help the poor pet that broght them here in the first place??

14+ I'm sorry this is nothing personal at all......
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old November 27th, 2008, 04:35 PM
Senior Contributor

I don't think anything horrible happened here in this thread. Let's take the article for what is worth. That's all.
Old November 27th, 2008, 04:39 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston View Post
I think that we would be a far better place to try to educate people....we wont teach them anything by being rude.

I'm with you 100% but some folks think that they know it all, sadly enough.

There have been many times I wanted to go and give someone a piece of my mind but held back because it wont help the situation any...what happens? they leave and nothing has happened to help the poor pet that brought them here in the first place??

Me too - but that wasn't the case in this particular instance.
clm - posted this link for the interest of all, maybe someone could even help by adopting - it was all in good faith, but it was turned into something else hugely criticized by ACO22 and there was no need.
Old November 27th, 2008, 04:44 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris21711 View Post
I agree with you Winston. There is absolutely no reason that ACO22 shouldn't be able to put her/his opinion or experiences for us all to read. All too often ACO22's attitude with people is a bit over the top and condescending. In this instance she/he was rather rude to 14k - completely unacceptable. I myself have been called 'naive' and 'my dear' by ACO22 in a condescending manner. I find that unnecessary
I have to say I speak my mind. My attitude? Just because I have a different opinion then someones, or do not agree with someone's opinion, gives me an attitude. And I was rude to 14+? I never once critized her, only disagreed with some of her thinking. It is a difference in opinion.

And as for people bring rude, numous people have attacked me on this forum, but since people agree with these people, it is never spoken of.

ACO22
Old November 27th, 2008, 04:49 PM
Master of the Drool!

Honestly, people are always going to disagree. Thats just part about everybody being different. But we all joined this forum because we all have one Major thing in common. We love our and everybody else's animals. I think we all need to step back and remember that and respect that everyone has a different opinon.
AHHHH They are a year old already!!!!
Old November 27th, 2008, 04:52 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

lol, gonna play devils advocate here, i don't think my response wasn't rude in anyway and i did ask that it be dropped. I guess it depends on each persons idea of what is rude and to whom.

Now we are definately concerned about the new comers here and what they read, and we do want to educate.

What if say 14+ had walked into a response like the one made here when she joined us. Who here seriously thinks she would have stuck around and ended up being one of the most helpful members we have.

Yes ACO22 is entitled to her opinion, i never said she wasn't. I personally just think it was a little harsh, all i asked was that it was toned down a little.

Last edited by aslan; November 27th, 2008 at 05:03 PM.
Old November 27th, 2008, 05:00 PM
Master of the Drool!

The main theme of this thread is about a wonderful couple that opened up their hearts, and home for a bunch of kitties. Like I said befor I believe if there was abuse the paper would have written about that. I just pray that they find homes for them!

I have alot of respect for 14+ and aco22, If my earlier post was insulting then please accept my apolgies.
AHHHH They are a year old already!!!!
Old November 27th, 2008, 05:33 PM
Senior Contributor

ACO,I do not blame you if you have become a bit jaded ,working with abandoned and abused animals,hearing every excuse in the book,you see how rotten the human race can be.
However,in this case I believe you were wrong,the lady died from a heart-attack,not something that was expected.
Nowhere does it say,the house was a mess and smelly,the news-paper would have been quick to point that out.
Not all the cats were in the house,they also have a heated garage where some of the cats were kept.
This"elderly"couple did this out of love for cats,took proper care of everyone of them,s/n and everything else that was needed.

Also I greatly admire your work and anybody dealing with shelters,but at times you do come off a bit harsh,jump to conclusions.
As for 14+,she is totally dedicated to caring for her cats and I believe,even if she had 81 cats,they would be 81 healthy happy kitties
Old November 27th, 2008, 05:33 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

I agree this is not what the thread was intended for..I had a moment I guess....sorry.

I think only the mods should be the ones to have to ask that it be toned down? But it should never get to that point..
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old November 27th, 2008, 05:43 PM
Senior Contributor

Just last year, I helped a women who was dying from brain cancer with her house hold of cats she had close to 100 of them, plus 2 dogs including a three legged German Shepherd and she adopted a young boy.

Even though my friend was WAY over the legal limit of animals in her area, her house was very clean, she hired part time cleaners daily to clean cat boxes and her house.

All her animals were sterlized and vet checked, she wasn't a wealthy women but she knew how to stretch a dollar and she just managed. She didn't ask anyone for help, when she had a litter of kittens, she would put them in a grocery cart and pull them to the vet clinic 15 minutes from her house as she could not afford a car.

She was also very active trying to adopt her kittens or cats, to make room for the unfortunate souls who needed her next.

When she passed away, it was a sad day for the animals in Montreal, she was always ready and willing to open her home to another who needed her.

I too have seen the other side of too many animals, I understand what your saying ACO22, but not all cases of too many animals in the house are end up bad. If somene just heard the story about my friend without knowing all the details, they would think she was a crazy cat hoarder, which she wasn't.

After my experience with my friend, I try not to judge a person who has too many animals until I have all the facts.

Here's couple of articles about my friend: http://www.themonitor.ca/article-150...-to-spare.html

http://www.themonitor.ca/article-176...t-matters.html

Last edited by poodletalk; November 27th, 2008 at 06:19 PM.
Old November 27th, 2008, 06:14 PM
Senior Contributor

Definition of animal hoarding, from Tufts University: http://www.tufts.edu/vet/cfa/hoarding/abthoard.htm#A1

Quote:
The following criteria are used to define animal hoarding:
  1. More than the typical number of companion animals
  2. Inability to provide even minimal standards of nutrition, sanitation, shelter, and veterinary care, with this neglect often resulting in starvation, illness, and death
  3. Denial of the inability to provide this minimum care and the impact of that failure on the animals, the household, and human occupants of the dwelling
It's about more than just the number of animals.

Quote:
Animal hoarding is not about animal sheltering, rescue, or sanctuary, and should not be confused with these legitimate efforts to help animals.

It IS about satisfying a human need to accumulate animals and control them, and this need supercedes the needs of the animals involved.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler

Last edited by sugarcatmom; November 27th, 2008 at 06:22 PM. Reason: add additional comment
Old November 27th, 2008, 08:48 PM
Senior Contributor

Wife's death means

Kudos to this wonderful couple for doing what they did to help these cats and undermining their achievements/efforts by branding them as hoarders is completely insensitive and without merit. Unless you have been into their home you cannot or have any right to judge their living conditions. Not everyone should be painted in a negative connotation for choosing to live their lives differently from the norm.
Old November 27th, 2008, 09:12 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMax View Post

This woman should be celebrated,
You bet Benmax ! She was clearly a wonderful / devoted cat rescuer
Old November 27th, 2008, 09:15 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston View Post

This is starting to become a regular occurence on this site and it is getting to be a downer?
Sorry Winston but I have to say something .... 2-3 years ago , the board was much "worse" , not that I minded , I even miss it sometimes. It has tone down A LOT !!! Asking for more is a bit much.
Old November 27th, 2008, 09:25 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Frenchy I did not want this to be a thread that got out of control. I know things were much worse then but it doesnt have to be now!

Maybe I shouldnt have brought it up??
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old November 27th, 2008, 11:25 PM
Senior Contributor

I feel sorry for the man. He just lost his wife, a lung and now his cats. His house lookes pretty clean...I hope he wins his battle with cancer...

There ain't no cure for stupid ...... but we should make sure we laugh and point it out to everyone else
Old November 28th, 2008, 12:02 AM

New member here Forgive me if I am wrong but isn't a hoarder someone that can't bare give up one of their pets. It is my understanding that this lady was adopting out her kitties. I commend her for taking the best possible care of all the animals she had. What was the alternative? Would they have lived a better life in the out doors scrounging for food? I am mother to 1 kitten and 1 foster kitten.
Old November 28th, 2008, 06:54 AM
Senior Contributor

I am thinking this lady has joined all the other kitty/pupwho have been welcomed at the Rainbow Bridge.
caretaker of the unwanted
Old November 28th, 2008, 07:18 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by clm View Post
I gotta agree, 83 cats is way too many for 2 people to look after, but it seems they did it. The cats are all healthy and neutered, so kudo's to them for that. The sons are helping with the cleaning and feeding now, and no mention was made about the house being a mess, so I have to assume this poor woman pretty much killed herself to look after these cats and her ailing husband and her house. I'm sure you've seen your share of disgusting homes ACO22, but people with 2 cats can live in a pig sty.
No one has said the cats are adopted, they're hoping to get them all adopted. A tall order, but being healthy and already neutered will certainly help.
Might be nice to hear of some animal control officers helping to get them adopted as they are in such good condition instead of condemming these poor souls for doing better than most of the shelters can or do.

Cindy
Well said, CLM, especially about these poor souls doing better than most shelters. If these two can do, then in my opinion, shelters can too. It just astounds me that in this day and age, that some Cdn Humane Societies are not spaying/neutering before adopting out.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old November 28th, 2008, 07:25 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by zomo View Post
New member here Forgive me if I am wrong but isn't a hoarder someone that can't bare give up one of their pets. It is my understanding that this lady was adopting out her kitties. I commend her for taking the best possible care of all the animals she had. What was the alternative? Would they have lived a better life in the out doors scrounging for food? I am mother to 1 kitten and 1 foster kitten.
Hoarding is a mental disease which can include taking in cats even though they are not or can not take care of their current ones, not the same as somebody who takes in animals and properly cares for them. I know of a former hoarder, who still feeds strays in her yard, doesn't like to spay and neuter the cats because she feels they won't forgive her so they continue to breed . And yes, she couldn't bare to give up her cats either.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old November 28th, 2008, 09:19 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Mrs. Sonja Currell You are truly now an at the Bridge as you were here on earth.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old November 28th, 2008, 11:43 AM
Senior Contributor

First let me start by saying,OMG, that poor man..His wife DIES in his arms,he has cancer..And now it's going to break his heart to give up his cats.

Second.Some people need to have a heart...This man is going through He!! and he is being put down about all these cats,his house must be a mess and smell.HELLO it states he has a heated garage. So that is saying that these cats are NOT all in the house.

Funny how at times people are being put down for their love of animals..This couple fed,fixed and LOVED these cats...These cats came from people who didn't give a rats A$$ about them.

I second that 14+

Mrs. Sonja Currell