Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old October 4th, 2005, 06:40 PM
<--- that's my sweetie!

Is it wrong for our dog to be protective/aggressive?

Hi all
I haven't been here in a while!
We've had our Cookie for a year to the day!! We love her more and more with every breath - even though this crazy husky still acts like she is on glue - lol

She hasn't taken too much to our training (casual yes, parents still in training - spoiled child). Actually, we like her just the way she is - She is all personality, funny and clever as all get out and a big marshmallow sookey baby.

We are an adult family and play with her many, many, many times during the day. She spends her outside time on a 100 foot tether (we do not have a fence & live near a highway). She has the attention span of a fungus gnat and we can't let her loose, ever, because ... well if a bird flies by, she is gone.
She is submissive to most dogs - not threatened and curious.

Depending on who she is playing with, she can become rather agressive in her play. We have told the neighbourhood kids that they are not allowed to play with her because she may trip them, bite their ankles or knock them over trying to lick them. (You must be "this tall" to get on the ride sort of thing). She wouldn't mean to hurt them, but could.

She loves everything, but most especially my mother-in-law, her nanny.

So long re-intro, but we may have developed an issue ......
Nanny is lives in the same house as we do and is basically housebound. We feel safe going out knowing that Cookie is there to watch over her.

But today!!!!! the chimney sweep came and Cookie went into the most protective mode we have ever seen - very agressive, growling, trying to break throught the door window to get him. Nanny managed to lock her in the bedroom so he could do his thing.

So now I am puzzled. Folks at work say that if she bites someone we can be sued, etc.. Is this true?
Do we have to train her to be submissive to strangers?
Do we have any legal protection on our property?
Someone even told me that if I posted a Dog Warning sign that I am pre-admitting liability if she protects our space. (I thought of posting a sign that said "Warning - Dog has No Manners!")

I WANT Cookie to bark like a mad fiend when we are not home. I want anyone to think twice before approaching this house and my mother-in-law.

Am I way out of line?

Can you help?