Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > In the News - Pet related articles and stories in the press > Newspaper Articles of Interest (animal/pet related) from Around the World

Old May 18th, 2011, 09:34 AM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

one dog dead, others missing from an Oshawa training facility

In the Oshawa news today

http://www.durhamregion.com/news/article/177501

One dog dead, others missing from Oshawa training facility
SABRINA BYRNES / METROLANDOne dog dead, others missing from Oshawa training facility

OSHAWA -- President of Storm's Animal Allies, Texie Torok, stood with a sign protesting animal cruelty in front of Craig Wright's FACW K9 Training and Rehabilitation business on May 17. Mr. Wright has been charged by police with one count of obstructing justice and by the local OSPCA with three charges relating to failure to provide proper animal care and allowing animals to be in distress. May 17, 2011Map data ©2011 Google - Terms of UseMapSatelliteHybridTools
Smaller Text | Larger Text
Email this Article
Print this Page
Report Typo or Correction

Owner of FACW K9 Training faces charges from SPCA, police
May 18, 2011 - 04:30 AM

Kristen Calis and Jillian Follert

OSHAWA -- Brenda Romeo cries about the loss of Cody each day, and struggles with the guilt of leaving her beloved pet in the hands of a facility that would later be charged by both police and the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.

"It hurts every day," she says.

Ms. Romeo and her daughter Andrea brought their healthy six-year-old miniature dachshund to FACW K9 Training ad Rehabilitation Centre in Oshawa on March 30 for a month of behavioural training.

Nine days later, workers called her to say Cody was ill and had to be picked up. Ms. Romeo immediately picked up her dog and brought him to a veterinarian.

"He died six hours later," says the devastated pet owner.

The SPCA has since laid charges against owner Craig Wright for permitting distress and causing distress to a dog and failing to comply with prescribed standards of care.

He also faces one police charge for obstructing justice in connection with a dog that went missing from the training centre.

Debby Houghton, an animal cruelty investigator with the local SPCA, confirmed that a miniature dachshund died at FACW K9 Training in April, but declined to elaborate on what happened.

She said the case is in court May 31.

"If anyone is convicted under this legislation, they can face jail time or fines of up to $60,000 and be prohibited from owning animals for a lifetime," she says. "It's very strong legislation."

Ms. Romeo isn't the only one to lose a dog to FACW K9 Training.

Oshawa resident Linda Fry thought something strange was going on when Mr. Wright tried to convince her that her dog shouldn't be neutered.

Earlier this month, her family adopted a one-year-old border collie named Chevy. The dog was a rescue who had been living outside and needed to be housebroken and trained.

Ms. Fry said they chose FACW because they had heard good things about the facility.

"My dog was gone within 24 hours of taking him there," she said. "This is a horror story."

Ms. Fry dropped Chevy at the training facility on Sunday May 8, then called the next morning to say she would be taking him to the vet to be fixed.

That's when Mr. Wright told her the dog had run away.

"He wouldn't give anybody a straight answer about where he left this dog or where this dog supposedly ran away from," she said. "He wasn't remorseful ... said he was a vicious dog and I was better off without it."

Durham Regional Police spokesman Dave Selby said Mr. Wright was charged with obstructing justice. Police believe he changed his story about Chevy's disappearance.

Mr. Selby said the owner initially said the dog ran away after being driven to a location in Ajax. He later recanted that story and told police the dog escaped from the Oshawa training centre.

Repeated calls to the FACW training centre were not returned, although Mr. Wright was on site when a This Week photographer visited the facility.

"Our big concern is that there are still dogs in there," said Texie Torok, a local animal advocate who runs a group called Storm's Animal Allies.

She said she has talked to other people who report that their dogs went missing from the facility.

"Several dogs missing like this is too much of a coincidence .... we have a facility that is calling itself a professional training centre and people need to know what's going on in there. They need to be shut down," Ms. Torok said.

Her group held a protest outside the centre on May 16 and plans to protest again Wednesday evening.

Ms. Romeo joined the recent protest, saying she wants to make sure no one else goes through the pain her family has experienced.

"He wasn't just a dog," she says. "He was a member of our family."

She cautions dog owners to thoroughly research training facilities before trusting someone with their dog, and suggests contacting their Humane Society or SPCA for reference checks before leaving a pet with a stranger.

According to the company website, FACW K9 Training and Rehabilitation uses "dog psychology" to improve the relationship between dogs and their owners.

Services offered include obedience training, socialization, behaviour modification and puppy training.

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old May 18th, 2011, 09:41 AM

How awful
Old May 18th, 2011, 10:16 AM
Mickey, my angel

That is terrible. So sad for those poor dogs and their families.

Thank goodness for Ontario's tough animal protection legislation. Lets just hope that he is punished to the full extent of the law.
"Let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." -Jack Layton
"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi

Kitties: Punky (17), and Sassy (13), Twinky (10),

SweetMickey 1991 to May 24, 2009
Old May 18th, 2011, 10:37 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Thanks for posting that, Happycats.

Very sad indeed .

Wasn't there a discussion on this forum about leaving a dog behind at a training facility???

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old May 18th, 2011, 10:40 AM
Senior Contributor

oh that is just terrible!!! those poor people, please keep us updated if there is anything else in your paper.
Old May 18th, 2011, 11:20 AM
Senior Contributor

OMG.is all I can say
Old May 18th, 2011, 12:28 PM
~Cat Servent~

wow...just wow... picturing quite the house of horrors here...

that those missing doggies are ok

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old May 19th, 2011, 11:24 AM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Todays news they say all dogs have been removed and the owner taken away in handcuffs !!!

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

Old May 19th, 2011, 11:29 AM
Senior Contributor

Well how many times has it been heard that you should NEVER leave your dogs with a trainer or behaviouralist or otherwise?

Another lesson learned.
Old May 19th, 2011, 11:36 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycats View Post
Todays news they say all dogs have been removed and the owner taken away in handcuffs !!!
great news!!! thanks
Old May 19th, 2011, 11:46 AM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Here's the story if anyone is interested.

http://www.durhamregion.com/news/article/177566

Old May 19th, 2011, 12:09 PM
An Honest Contributor
Fishing the Sea Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, KickUps Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Aski Champion, Ping Champion

I'll never understand owners who "leave" their dog at any training centre

Training should be about both the owner and puppy - so it really doesn't make any sense to allow a total stranger to train them without you being present. I feel some owners are looking for a "quick fix" but sadly (most if not all the time) it's not a quick or painless experience for the dog.

I only hope this horrible story will educate others who may of otherwise left their dogs to be trained without them there.

Just awful
Old May 19th, 2011, 02:17 PM
Senior Contributor

Happy-Cats,the news will not bring the dogs back,but at least this person will not be doing this to any other dogs.
I don't really understand why anyone would leave there dog for a whole month in what seems too be a"bootcamp",this person could do anything he wanted to these defenseless animals.
Old May 22nd, 2011, 04:18 PM
Senior Contributor

I read the story in the Star yesterday and it truly is a horror story.
One person had had her Bordercollie only one day,then leaving the dog with this monster,how could she do that to a dog??
I am willing to bet all the"missing"dogs are dead,the way this monster treated them.
Old May 22nd, 2011, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Girls View Post
I'll never understand owners who "leave" their dog at any training centre

Training should be about both the owner and puppy - so it really doesn't make any sense to allow a total stranger to train them without you being present. I feel some owners are looking for a "quick fix" but sadly (most if not all the time) it's not a quick or painless experience for the dog.
It can work and it can work well. I have done it and I have prevented SPCA regulars from ending up back in the shelter yet again. The owner attends follow-up sessions to be shown how to encourage the newly-learned good behaviours. What a horrific thought, though, that some "trainers" use boarding & training as an excuse to do anything behind doors that they would not do in front of the owner.
Old May 23rd, 2011, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMax View Post
Well how many times has it been heard that you should NEVER leave your dogs with a trainer or behaviouralist or otherwise?

Another lesson learned.
This man is not a behaviorist.

I've been training dogs for many years. Never have I trained a dog with out the owner present. I teach owners how to work with their dog. And never have I raised my voice or used force to train a dog. If you need to resort to hitting, kicking, or hang a dog in order to train him/her then you aren't a good trainer and shouldn't be doing this job. Never trust a trainer that works with your dog behind closed doors. Unfortunately this type of training is not uncommon.

I've watched a video of his and the dog is cowering and afraid. It broke my heart. I really hope something is done to prevent him from working with animals again.
Old May 23rd, 2011, 07:56 PM

That's what the window is for, so you can watch if you want. What sort of training facility doesn't have a window to the public or a viewing room?
Old May 24th, 2011, 12:18 PM
An Honest Contributor
Fishing the Sea Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, KickUps Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Aski Champion, Ping Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canis_lupus View Post
Quote:
This man is not a behaviorist.
Is he even registered/certified dog trainer or just another self-proclaimed expert

Quote:
I've been training dogs for many years. Never have I trained a dog with out the owner present. I teach owners how to work with their dog
Old July 30th, 2011, 12:40 AM

June 15, 2011 update: "Dogs hung from leashes during stay with Oshawa dog trainer: owners"

http://www.thestar.com/news/crime/ar...trainer-owners

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Storm's Animal Allies: CASES AND CAMPAIGNS, http://stormsanimalallies.com/news-a...and-campaigns/

"FACW K9 FACILITY AND TRAINING CENTER
SOON TO BE CLOSED FOREVER!"

We can be part of the problem or part of the solution. Inaction is part of the problem.
Please advocate for animals.