Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old September 6th, 2011, 12:31 PM

Cool Hematoma after neutering

It has been since august 16 and we still have small amount of discoloration on sac. ( bottom third is still dark) We are still doing ice packs twice a day. Question is, when can he begin running, jumping, playing? We are all getting frustrated and anxious.
Old September 6th, 2011, 09:19 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Welcome to the board, Longbarb.

What does your vet recommend?

I was trying to remember how we handled it when Cole was neutered--he had problems, too, and eventually to reduce the swelling we had to have the fluid needle aspirated. He improved rapidly after that, but I can't for the life of me remember how long it was after that that he had the okay to exercise freely. I do remember that we talked it over with the vet and followed his recommendation, though.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old September 7th, 2011, 02:28 PM
Unofficial Zookeeper

My vet said restricted activity for two weeks. That was "fun". But Our dach had problems from the start with it. They put him in his "wake up" spot and in a matter of mins he worked himself over , upon waking up. (licking, chewing, rubbing ect). They slapped a "lamp shade" on him..and when I picked him up was warned not to take it off of him unless we were supervising. get him home, take it off to let him drink , because he was dying for water and couldnt figure out how to drink with it on (he's kinda goofy that way). INSTANTLY he goes for the spot.
So...back on it went.
Then he started ozzing and bleeding which they told me to watch for. BACK to the vet we go. They look and say....he's licked himself down to the sticthes. I said what sticthes , i though you glued him. He said...No...the INTERNAL stitches.
So..he got a shot , and it got cleaned up and he was sent back home "WITH LAMP SHADE".
We had to keep him restricted and with the shade on for THREE WEEKS total.
He finally healed up, and stopped trying to bite at it.

so..with us having problems...the time may have been altered for that. But personally, if I were in your situation, I'd take him in. The worst is your out some cash for them to tell you he's fine.. But ...better to be safe than sorry.

Good luck, hope he's back to himself soon

Tags
complications, hematoma, neuter