Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old June 24th, 2008, 10:43 AM

Question The Safety of using Natural Flea Repellent Products - who is approving them?

I am interested in educating myself in using safe NATURAL - "Alternative/Holistic" type of Flea Repellent products. But, I am wondering about their safety, i.e. the essential oils - ingredients - i.e. as per the instructions on the containers - to "spray them" etc. on our pets. When a cat or dog is grooming themselves, and CONSUMING the ingredients of these products - I am wondering about the safety and the effects on our pets, as a result of licking these ingredients! When a product is "developed" and bottled and sold in stores - IS THERE some type of an organization that first inspects this product before allowing it to be sold? Who is TESTING these products, and how can I be certain that they are truly SAFE? Can anyone just mix some ingredients, and put a name on it and then just sell it to retailers? Who is PROTECTING our pets? Does anyone know how this works? I am very concerned about this subject. Just because a product is "natural" - that does NOT mean that it is SAFE. Our cats and dogs are at risk! I have begun to read about some of the flea repellent "Natural" type of products available, BUT, I am wondering about the SAFETY of them!! I would appreciate any comments or information. Thanks!