Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old June 26th, 2009, 06:46 PM

Fleas?!?

I think Tommy has fleas... small black insects that seem to live on him are now hopping around my house (not many, but enough that it's not just random insects coming through the window or something).

Any idea what to do about them? He's on Sentinal, which I thought prevented it, but I guess not. Vet's closed for the night. We're going to give him a bath for now but what do you do about the house? Anything we can do that's safe for the baby too? Or will they disappear once we get him treated?

Blech... if it's not one thing it's another.
Old June 26th, 2009, 07:08 PM

Brewers Yeast and garlic in a diet works like crazy, I haven't seen a flea in ten years. Certain flea and tick shampoos work as well. As for your house, vaccuum everything in sight, taking very special attention to around baseboards etc.. and do it often. One of the best inventions that help control them is the turbo-vac with the special filters, they really help a lot. If you have a yard keep the grass short that's where they like to live. Be careful what type of shampoo you use with a baby around try to stay with an invironmentally friendly type or a natural formula shampoo, they do work.
Old June 26th, 2009, 08:09 PM
-

Advantage ! I swear by this product. I had to use it twice in the past few years .... and you won't have to do anything about your house , as Tommy looses his treated fur all throughout the house , the house gets treated too ...

http://advantage.petparents.com/aboutAdvantage.cfm
Old June 26th, 2009, 08:42 PM

Thank you! We just gave Tommy a bath in Dawn detergent - not many fleas, only a half dozen or so in his fur that I could find so definitely not a huge infestation yet. I'm going to call the vet tomorrow and ask for Advantage - does that do heartworm/roundworm/hookworm/fleas/ticks like Sentinel does, or do we have to continue using something else for heartworm too?
Old June 27th, 2009, 02:13 PM
Live well, laugh often

Make sure to wash all bedding in hot water and vacumn, vacumn, vacumn. Toss the bag right afterwards or buy a cheap flea collar and put it in the bag. I would also only give Tommy a half dose of the advantage based on his health history as he could easily have a reaction.
Old June 27th, 2009, 02:27 PM
Skylar's Farm

Definitely. Vacuum everything, remove the vac bag, tie it in a plastic bag and put it outdoors.
Old June 27th, 2009, 02:33 PM
Senior Contributor

Tommys mom,oh no poor Tommy and you:sad:
I use Advantage on the cats,but only for a couple of months,like July and August,I hate to do it,but I hate fleas even more
Old June 27th, 2009, 03:59 PM

Thanks guys. We've vacuumed, washed all the bedding (ours, his and shared, LOL), and Tommy's had his bath. Called the vet this morning and they recommended Revolution instead of Advantage, said it would be a bit less dangerous for his tummy issues - make sense to anybody? At any rate, fingers crossed it'll do the trick. No idea how he got these, since he's never around other animals, but maybe one of the neighbours' pets gave us a gift.
Old June 27th, 2009, 03:59 PM

And just in case you guys don't go into the baby thread, here's a picture from the two little ones who say thank you for the flea advice.
Attached Images

Old June 27th, 2009, 04:13 PM
Senior Contributor

Awww that's so sweet,Tommy looks sooo happy and the baby is just perfection,adorable
Old June 27th, 2009, 09:59 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabess View Post
Brewers Yeast and garlic in a diet works like crazy, I haven't seen a flea in ten years.
Garlic is not a good idea. Some dogs can have a very bad reaction to garlic. With Tommy's history definitely not good.
That pic is adorable!! I see Tommy is getting over his fear of the noisy creature that invaded his home. The baby is so sweet.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old June 27th, 2009, 10:53 PM
Doggie Wench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommysmom View Post
Called the vet this morning and they recommended Revolution instead of Advantage, said it would be a bit less dangerous for his tummy issues - make sense to anybody?
Not sure about tummy issues but Lucky certainly has a reaction to Advantage...lots of scratching and general unease for days afterwords. We've switched to Revolution for him although it doesn't cover as many of the intestinal parasites that Advantage does.

I love the pic of him with the baby .