Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old October 19th, 2004, 02:36 PM

Cat has recurring growths on lip

Help - My cat has had three benign growths (look like warts) removed from her right lip in less than a year. Within a few months of each removal, another growth comes back. I can't keep having them removed because her lip is now thin and distorted from all of the operations. I'm looking for some kind of homeopathic or topical/medicinal solution. My cat is nine years old and otherwise completely healthy. I would appreciate any suggestions.
Old October 22nd, 2004, 11:49 AM
Sammi

Did your vet ever tell you what it was? Did you ever have the lumps sent off for histology?

There are a couple of conditions that cats get..............

Feline Eosinophilic Granuloma Complex (feline rodent ulcer)

This is a condition that affects the lip area of cats. The upper lip appears as a flattened, raw area with raised borders, as some tissue is missing from the lesion. The involved area can extend up towards the nose, and include both sides of the upper lip. The cause is not certain, but can be aggravated by continuous licking of the area or an auto immune reaction, or allergy. Some cats improve with a hypo allergenic diet. Anti-inflammatory medication (obtained through a veterinarian) can control the condition.

Localized Lymphoid Reaction

Another type of raised reddish swelling, resembling a cold sore. Can appear very sudden in the centre of the lower lip. Anti inflammatory meds will help healing but recurrences are common.

SIDE NOTE -A higher percentage of masses are malignant in the cat as opposed to the dog. Any mass that is growing should be viewed as a potenial problem and seen by a vet and are not to be ignored.
Old October 22nd, 2004, 01:33 PM

Thanks for your response. I'm new to forums, so I'm still trying to figure out how they work.

My vet did do blood work and biopsied the growths. They are non-malignant granulomas of some sort. My poor girl has been under anesthesia three time in less than a year, not to mention I'm going broke (I have five other cats).

I am going to seek a second opinion, but in the meantime I'm afraid that no other vet will opt to remove any more because her lip is now so thin, that her teeth and gums would be exposed. I inquired about cortisone or steriod shots or creams, but my vet said that wouldn't work.

I just think there has to be some sort of home remedy (say for removing warts) that would help. I'm getting a little desperate.
Old October 24th, 2004, 06:43 PM
Sammi

Did your vet ever try the cortisone shot? If not, how would he know that it wouldn't work?

I'd try another vet.
Old October 25th, 2004, 02:00 PM

No, he didn't. I am going to a different vet for a second opinion. Actually, when I brought the first lump to my current vet's attention, he told me it was probably nothing to worry about. When it got larger and brought her back to him, he basically accused me of being negligent for letting it get so large. I was seeking a homeopathic remedy because I'm running out of money. I was hoping that, if modern technology couldn't solve the problem, maybe a little witch hazel could.
Old February 3rd, 2005, 10:40 PM

Unhappy Feline Eosinophilic Granuloma Complex (feline rodent ulcer)

Regina, my 8 month old cat Stripes (who was a rescue at 4 weeks old) has been suffering from Feline Eosinophilic Granuloma Complex (feline rodent ulcer) for about 4 months now, after he started teething. He used to have raw paws which have gone away, but now he keeps getting ulcers on avg. about 1 every 3 weeks. It's getting expensive & frustrating. The last surgery he had was actually a "tumour" - which wasn't biopsied. He's had about 3 surgeries with aenesthesia. And the site keeps travelling from upper lip to lower, side to side?

I have changed Stripes to organic food - and am keeping him out of areas like the laundry&storage areas where he could get into trouble. I am at my wits end like you - I don't know what to do. I'm giving him vitamins - which he throws up sometimes. Anyway, we can keep in touch if we find anything interesting which works. The vet puts iodine on his ulcers when I go for follow ups after surgery - I wonder if I should try putting this on myself at home?

All the best,
Old February 4th, 2005, 09:07 PM
Senior Contributor

I always thought that eosinophilic granulomas were based on either an immune deficiency, or allergies; the latter being the most common and probable. Would it not help,(or maybe you have already) to try and pinpoint the allergens?
Old February 5th, 2005, 05:04 PM

Sounds Like Twin Mommy needs 2 Daddy's!

Wow, you must have your hands full! Thank you for your interest - I would love to pinpoint an allergen - besides food, what could I look for that goes in his mouth? I've changed his food from Iams, to Hills to Organic. He doesn't have anything else. I stopped using Febreze. I put him away when cleaning until everything is dry. I rinse the floor with clean water twice after washing. What else could be an allergen? I would appreciate any help.

THanks & hope you are managing to get some sleep!

Old February 5th, 2005, 08:03 PM
Senior Contributor

can I ask....

Is your cat itchy at all...anywhere?? ears, armpits, neck, anus, stomach? Because allergies, although not always, you usually see you pet scratching...
See, the eosinophils (a white blood cell) are present either for presence of allergens, or presence of parasites. Or sometimes a malignancy.(tumor) Eosinophils in a tissue sample would pooint more to the allergy whereas in a blood sample would point more parasitism.

How is your flea control--(Please don't take that the wrong way! ) it's just one of the most common allergens.

I would bring him back to the vet, this will probably resolve with cortisone, and/or antibiotics--but a vet visit is needed for these things.

Some vets used to prescribe Depoprovera for this, but you should know that it has been linked to diabetes mellitus and some mammary cancers in cats.

Good luck and let us know how your baby is!!!

p.s. Sleep??? Now THAT'S funny!!!
Old February 5th, 2005, 08:19 PM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinmommy
Is your cat itchy at all...anywhere?? ears, armpits, neck, anus, stomach? Because allergies, although not always, you usually see you pet scratching...
See, the eosinophils (a white blood cell) are present either for presence of allergens, or presence of parasites. Or sometimes a malignancy.(tumor) Eosinophils in a tissue sample would pooint more to the allergy whereas in a blood sample would point more parasitism.

How is your flea control--(Please don't take that the wrong way! ) it's just one of the most common allergens.

I would bring him back to the vet, this will probably resolve with cortisone, and/or antibiotics--but a vet visit is needed for these things.

Some vets used to prescribe Depoprovera for this, but you should know that it has been linked to diabetes mellitus and some mammary cancers in cats.

Good luck and let us know how your baby is!!!

p.s. Sleep??? Now THAT'S funny!!!
I am in the dark on this one...Depo-provera?.....it's only been a short while since I have been "hands on involved" in a vet hospital but I need some enlightment here....?
Old February 5th, 2005, 08:23 PM
Senior Contributor

Yup! It is now only used as a last resort because of the side effects I have mentioned. They also used Ovaban tablets as well as the hormonal injections.
Old February 5th, 2005, 08:55 PM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinmommy
Yup! It is now only used as a last resort because of the side effects I have mentioned. They also used Ovaban tablets as well as the hormonal injections.
I knew this was still in the study mode but I never would have thought it would fly..so to speak...I have some thoughts on giving anything hormone related to humans and animals. (Just from my own personal experience's)

Thanks for the enlightment, I will seek out more info.

Times they are a changin'.
Old February 5th, 2005, 09:05 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
I knew this was still in the study mode but I never would have thought it would fly..so to speak...I have some thoughts on giving anything hormone related to humans and animals. (Just from my own personal experience's)
I don't know if this is still in study mode, I thought it was used and now put on the "back burner" so to speak because of the rough side effects.

In my opinion, hormonal drugs are harder to take than chemo!! (Which is actually a bad example because chemo has come such a long way, but you get the gist.) Any drug that alters the endocrine system--even to improve matters-- is rough on your system--and that of an animals as well.

What are your thoughts Karin?
Old February 6th, 2005, 10:30 AM

you most certainly can ask...

Dear Twinmommy:

Thanks for the interest...I REALLY do appreciate any help...I am a Mom of 2 boys and a very very aware one...my little kitten is like a new baby to me...I do try to watch him as closely as possible...he seems to be quite happy & playful most of the time (when his granulomas aren't bothering him) but I am very busy, so I could be missing something.

As for the itching, he does on occasion scratch his neck, but not even everyday - and when he does it's for a couple of seconds and then he goes about his business, but then again I am not with him 24/7. I asked the vet at the last check up (Friday a.m.) if he should be using flea control (he is an indoor cat) as I also read it could be an allergen and they said it is usually not an issue if indoor - Twinmommy do you think differently?

I also spoke to him about the Depo, and he said he didn't want to try that yet since he is so young (8 months old), he thinks he will outgrow it. The vet did finally give me a small bottle of iodine (per my request) and some topical cortisone cream for his lip which I have been asking for for a while. I feel if I can keep his wounds as clean as possible it will control the aggravated sites until we get to the bottom of it.

I don't really want to do the Depo yet either, I don't want to shoot myself in the foot (chancing Diabetes). The doc feels it's immune related...maybe I should insist on a tissue sample or bloodwork for further analysis.

Thank you soooo much, and by the way, back in my sleep deprivated days (my boys are 6 & 7 now) a glass of wine came in handy once in a while!

God Bless & take care of your team!
Old February 6th, 2005, 03:52 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Thank you soooo much, and by the way, back in my sleep deprivated days (my boys are 6 & 7 now) a glass of wine came in handy once in a while!

You said it!! A little glass of red!!

...now that would be the reoccuring growth on MY lips!!!!

heh heh hehe

Well it's probably not a flea allergy then if he doesn't go out, but not impossible...so now he's on the antibiotics? or has just recieved the cortisone injection? I believe the course of antibiotics is pretty long...ask your vet what he/she thinks about giving some yogurt at the same time to replenish the flora. My Sam loved just plain yogurt!! (I wouldn't give any kind with sugar, that would hinder what your trying to resolve.)

Let us know how your baby is

p.s. sorry about this post,( just re-read it) seems that I can't really "speak English" today hope you get the gist!!!
Old February 8th, 2005, 02:17 PM

so now he's on the antibiotics? or has just recieved the cortisone injection?

He is finishing up his antibiotics, which only last for about 5 day (1 cc morning/night) and he does give him cortisone shots only when he gets the granulomas surgically removed.

I am currently treating his lip with iodine & cortisone cream. Hopefully this will help. I will take him for another re-check in about a weeks time.

(I love the joke about the wine!!! You are hilarious!)

Thanks again,
Say hi to Sam - I never thought about the yogurt!