Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old September 13th, 2008, 09:05 PM

Brown material in cat's eye.

Hello all,

My cat has had a leakage from her right eye for over a year. Last January I
took her to a cat's only vet and he said that it was not serious but if we wanted to, he would prescribe antibotic drops. The drops didn't seem to do much so I just kept wiping the eye once or twice a day. Last week I bought some eye drops for dogs/cats. After a few days - no results but there is now some brown material that shows up on the cotton that I wipe her eye with. Any suggestions?
Thank you,
Black Cat
Old September 14th, 2008, 12:17 AM

I would stop using the eye drops you picked up last week if this seems to be making it worse.

Eye discharge can have a few different causes including feline herpes virus, a malformation of the tear duct, or allergies

You can speak to your vet about supplementing with L-Lysine
Quote:
Oral Lysine
Herpesviruses as a group are highly dependent on the presence of an amino acid called arginine. Without arginine, Herpes cannot reproduce. The amino acid lysine is taken up by the virus in favor of arginine. We can take advantage of this situation by saturating the virus with lysine and thus suppressing the virus' ability to replicate. Lysine is readily available in most health food stores as a tablet or capsule. One should be sure that the formula used is free of the preservative propylene glycol as cats can have blood reactions against this compound. A month or so of supplementation is required in order to determine if supplementation has been helpful.

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old September 14th, 2008, 12:07 PM
~Cat Servent~

My Buddy has chronic eye discharge, it is a brownish liquid that does drip and often collect and harden in the corner of his eye (like our 'sleep').... his is a malformation of the duct and will never go away, all I do is wipe it when I see it (and when he'll let me ). Your vet should be able to tell you if it is a problem with the duct by performing a tear stain test.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old September 14th, 2008, 02:51 PM
chronically insane.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idoxuridine eye drops

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Famciclovir pill

It's probably FHV-1 which is feline herpes virus. Try to get those two medications if you can. It helped out my herpes cat alot. He has the same leakage you are talking about.

~ RIP Timmy ~ May 2009 - November 6th 2009
Old September 17th, 2008, 06:08 PM

Since I'm new to this forum, I'm not sure how to reply, but to all who have responded I thank you. I took my cat to the ASPCA hospital and the vet there knew about Lysine and gave it to me (rather prescribed and charged for it). She also gave some Terramycin to put in the cat's eye. If these medications do not work I will look into the medications Idoxuridine Famciclovir. Again,
Victor