Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! > Puppy health

Old June 24th, 2011, 07:26 AM
Formerly Bastien

Exclamation Bully wont stop drinking!

What to do? Bully wont stop drinking, he's been like that since i got him at 7 weeks and now 8 months.

If he finds a puddle/toilet/container/bowl/lake of water he runs to it and drinks drinks drinks! I tell him "NO!" but he just wont listen to me when theres water arround. He drinks so much that he gets all "fat". I give him his normal 3 bowls of water a day wich should be plenty! He drinks FAST!

It gets to the point that when he goes outside, he's to focus on drinking that he forgets to do his thing.

He eats fine (when he wants), plays fine, doesnt look sick at all...

So i have a dog that wont stop drinking and that poops and pees in the house... He was house trained, but now im not sure i could say he is anymore.

Ive done a bit of research on it, and all i can think of is Kidney failure but he's not showing all the signs, and i dont think that at 6-7 weeks he had it... Or maybe im wrong and they can have it that young. I dont know what to do... Any sugestions? I know i will have to bring him to the vet, but i want your opinions first. Thanks
Old June 24th, 2011, 07:50 AM
Senior Contributor

Maybe it is too much of a novelty? When you say you give him three bowls a day do you mean you fill it up 3 x ? Or do you mean you put it down 3 x and take it up again each time? If the latter then I would try leaving a full bowl down for constant access in hopes it will become more usual and less interesting. You'll have to watch closely as he may drink even more at first.

Not to discount any possible medical problem and a new worry you didn't mention..... I would worry about him drinking excessively at one time while out exercising in case of bloat.

What ideas does your Vet and breeder have?
Old June 24th, 2011, 08:17 AM
Formerly Bastien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longblades View Post
Maybe it is too much of a novelty? When you say you give him three bowls a day do you mean you fill it up 3 x ? Or do you mean you put it down 3 x and take it up again each time? If the latter then I would try leaving a full bowl down for constant access in hopes it will become more usual and less interesting. You'll have to watch closely as he may drink even more at first.

Not to discount any possible medical problem and a new worry you didn't mention..... I would worry about him drinking excessively at one time while out exercising in case of bloat.

What ideas does your Vet and breeder have?
I put it down 3 x and take it up again each time

It would make alot of sence if he thinks its more of a treat... I never thought of it that way. So now everytime he sees water, he think its more of a treat then a necessity. I will try and leave the bowl down and add water when needed.

I wouldnt want a bloat to happen, i just researched it and its really scary!

Tonight ill sit down with him and a water bowl and ill try and teach him that the bowl does NOT need to be empty. Ill fill up the bowl, let him drink a bit and then play with him to change his mind.

I know it wont be a overnight fix but it could be a long term fix.

I just hope it works!
Old June 24th, 2011, 09:00 AM
Senior Contributor

Bloat is very scary and deadly. I have been through it and may I give you a few tips no water before going out to play no water when you come back for 10-20 minutes then room temperature water. Broad chested and giant breeds are more prone to bloat. I'm not sure how tall your dogs will be but I used elevated dishes so when they eat they are not leaning over and taking in more air. Also after eating wait about 20 minutes then take them out. Read up on it I have a couple of good links I will find them and post them. Don't get freaked out about it a few things will help to avoid it and educate yourself and it will be fine. Clark is a water hog too and other than psychotic he is fine but I agree leave the water down all the time.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog