Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old April 20th, 2009, 11:37 PM
Cujo, Lucky, and Shadow

Poor Kitty not eating and mucas like discharge under tail

I figured this was the best place to look for prayers for my lil kitty Cujo, she is aprox 5 yrs old, all black she is the runt of her litter so she is very tiny (6lbs) and has two extra claws and one of those smushed in faces so absolutly adorable

Anyways almost a week ago I noticed she was mostly sleeping and hadnt really eaten much, this continued for a few days, she was however still attentive, and walking around some. While petting her I noticed all under her tail was wet at first I though maybe she had just been in the litter box or something until the wetness was still there the next time i was petting her so I looked under her tail and there was a mucas like substance all under her tail (looked exactly like snot pardon the grossness) then it seemed to get worse.
She would not eat any food for days I specially got her some wet food and she would eat only a few mouthfuls.. She was drinking lots of water, she had traveled to the litter box but hard to say if she was going as I have two other cats and as clean as I keep the box its still difficult to tell. She was also making weird growling sounds at times which is extremely weird for her since she is so timid and lovable and never ever growls.

I took her to the vet today, and the vet told me she has an infected uterus and has to have surgery to have it removed. I am getting the sugery done as it is what my lil cujo needs, as much as I cant afford it its my baby and I would do anything for her! she has to stay in the vet overnight tonight, and has her surgery 2moro. I am so upset and sad right now just thinking about her spending the night in the vet all alone and probably starving and thirsty since she isnt allowed any food or drink, and i feel like she is probably thinking i abandoned her since she has never spent the night in a strange place before, and she gets scared so easily. I am also so worried for her for the sugery.

I am asking for any prayers that people could make for Cujo, to make it through her sugery with no problems, and that she gets well, and lives a long, happy and healthy life!!!

Thank you to all for reading this, and thank you for anyone who is willing to say a prayer for her.
Attached Images

Old April 20th, 2009, 11:40 PM
^.^

awww I will most definitely keep you and your kitty in my thoughts.
Old April 21st, 2009, 12:31 AM

for the surgery tomorrow

I'm assuming from your description this is pyometra, it commonly occurs in unspayed females, I will ask that if your other cats are not spayed or neutered please book them in to have them done, the spaying will not only prevent pyometra, but also unwanted litters as will the neutering.

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old April 21st, 2009, 01:57 AM
Live well, laugh often

Good luck with the surgery .
Old April 21st, 2009, 07:08 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Sending some and for your kitty today, and a for you. I am sure she will do just fine.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old April 21st, 2009, 07:56 AM
Senior Contributor

I hope your girl comes through everything okay. Keep us posted.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old April 21st, 2009, 10:12 PM
Cujo, Lucky, and Shadow

Thank You so Much for all of ure though, good vibes, and prayers!!! Cujo had her sugery this morning, they told me I could come pick her up around 5 but when I got there they told me I couldnt take her home. They had to give her two fluid packs to bring her out of sedation, they said her body wouldnt metabilize whatever it was they gave her. She was still Extremely extremely groggy, so they wanted to keep her a little longer to keep an eye on her, as well as they said I have such an emotional attachment with her that, they knew I would be upset and cry seeing her in that state that it would not help her any. They did however let me hold her for 10 min or so, she was barely concious but Im pretty sure she knew I was the one holding her because after a few min she started moving herself to rest her head just under my chin on my neck.

Im hoping that she can come home tomorrow, I mean as much as I really wanted her to come home today, if it was in her best interest to stay another night than thats fine with me anything to help my lil one.

I really hope that she will have a great recovery, there is still a lot of hard work ahead over the next couple of weeks when she comes home, I have to have her on antibiotics, and keep the other two cats away from her as well as not let her share the litter with them, i cant let her play or jump on anything constant supervision... Its a lot of hard work but totally worth it for my lil kitty, the poor thing.

Im thinking for the first few nights to make a bed on the floor beside her so she can feel calm, comfortable, and know that im there. all I can think of to keep the other cats away is to keep her couped up in my room the whole time just lay blankets down and i bought some disposable litter boxes for her, I feel so bad to coupe her up and so bad to not let the other cats in it breaks my heart, but I know its the only way to make sure she has a chance at a great recovery!! Im still praying for her recovery, so that she can get better and back to being the joyful, loveable, playful Cujo that Ive always known.

One last note to reply to one of the posts, yes you are right it was pyrometra. I am ashamed to say that i was not aware of the risks of not having my cat fixed, I though she would be fine since my male cat is fixed and she is an indoor cat, and being in heat never seemed to bother her, as u couldnt even tell when she was in heat. I know it doesnt make up for my cat having to go through this, but i have found a write up online about this condition and posted it on my facebook asking anyone with pets to read so that i can try to prevent another animal from having to go through this, and will continue to spread the word! and as soon as this surgery is fully paid for I will be taking Lucky my other female in to get fixed!!
Old April 21st, 2009, 10:49 PM

Some cats do take longer to overcome the sedation effects, she should be back to normal by tomorrow.

Sounds like you are doing a good job to get ready for Cujo's homecoming

Thank you for spreading the word about spaying/neutering and for getting your other cat spayed

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old April 21st, 2009, 10:52 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

for a quick recovery for your little Cujo

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old April 21st, 2009, 11:01 PM
^.^

yay I am glad that your kitty's surgery went well. I am sure that she will be up and harassing your keyboard soon
Old April 22nd, 2009, 01:20 AM
-

A spay surgery involving pyometra is a bit harder on a cat than a regular spay so that is likely why your vet wanted to keep her an extra night. It sounds like you caught the pyometra at an early stage so I'm sure she will be able to come home tomorrow.

Sending lots of good wishes for a safe and speedy recovery.
Old April 22nd, 2009, 07:42 AM
Senior Contributor

The good thing is she will recover and she's had the surgery.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old April 22nd, 2009, 11:36 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

How is she doing today? Were you able to bring her home this morning?

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old April 22nd, 2009, 12:18 PM
Cujo, Lucky, and Shadow

I just got off the phone with the vet office, and they said she was doing a little better, I get to go pick her up in about an hour so about 330 or so, I cant wait to get her home. I really hope that she will be okay, The recovery process is going to be long and hard, but I will do anything I need to do to make sure she can get better.

I feel so bad having to keep her couped up in my room, and i feel so bad that the other cats arent going to be allowed in my room, I dont want them to feel upset and think im punishing them or not loving them enough. Even though I know its for the best so Cujo can recover they dont realise that.

I will keep everyone posted through her recovery process, and will let everyone know how she is when I bring her home, since Ill be spending a lot of time in this room for the next two weeks.
Old April 22nd, 2009, 12:28 PM
Catlover2

I wouldn't worry about your other cats. They won't like the smell of her when she comes home from the vet anyway, and will likely give her a "hissy welcome". So just keep her confined and let her recover fully; pyometra can be nasty and this is a longer recovery than just a spaying. It's a good thing you got her to the vet quickly. Show lots of love and extra attention to your other cats. Everything will be just fine, don't worry.
Old April 22nd, 2009, 12:29 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Thanks for the update. I am sure with all your love, she will come through with flying colours.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old April 22nd, 2009, 03:29 PM
Cujo, Lucky, and Shadow

Well I went to go get Cujo at the vet about an hour and a half ago, She seemed still pretty out of it just laying there but her eyes open.

I brought her home, and about ten min later what a different story..lol She slowly came out of her cage as I just opened the door and let her come out on her own, she slowly checked out the room, then about 5 min later she licked some of the juiced right up from her wet food i put out. ( I got her some of the good stuff for today lol) she has since been playing with her catnip soft toy that the vet gave her in her goodie bag, and tried 3 times jumping on the bed but of course i stopped her.

My male cat is going balistic, see the thing with Shadow and Cujo is that Cujo thinks he is her dad and vice versa, he has been throwing himself against the door, and scratching the door, I hope that he grows out of it.

The vet didnt think she would need a cone, because she didnt seem like a licker, but i have stopped her 4 times now from trying to lick her stitches. I am going to have to get her a cone but because of the time i wont be able to get one today any suggesstion on how to make a temporary one until I can get one from the vet??

Also any suggesstions on how to stop er from trying to jump on the bed?? Im so scared of her doing that and hurting herself as the vet say not to let her do it.

lol this is gonna be a LONG two weeks haha, But my baby is totally worth it, but is it bad to say after the two weeks are up I may need a stiff drink..lol :P

I am sooooo happy and relieved that she seems like she is going to be okay!! Lets just hope that I wont have a problem with giving her her meds, (Amoxil, & Arnica) and that I can stop her from licking and jumping.
Old April 22nd, 2009, 03:38 PM
Sleep..What is that?!?

Glad all is ok

As for the bed thing...try putting a stool of some sort that goes halfway up the side of the bed for her to jump on then onto the bed...I got mine for my Mooki cuz she couldn't jump that high anymore and I find my two now have learnt quite quickly how to use it too! I think even for healthy kitties, a little hlep on/off the bed can't hurt.

Edit...here is a pic...I found the stool at a thrift store $4 , cleaned it and put my own cover on it...
Attached Images

Mom to
Seth - Brown Tabby
Messina - Blonde Tabby

Last edited by TacoGrl; April 22nd, 2009 at 03:43 PM.
Old April 22nd, 2009, 03:57 PM
Cujo, Lucky, and Shadow

Thanks for the suggesstion, I will def keep that in mind when she is doing a lil better, but for now the vet says she cant jump up on anything, she is not even allowed to go up or down stairs, and she is so tiny, where she is a runt she is not much bigger than the size of a kitten.
Old April 23rd, 2009, 12:09 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Sometimes a vet should listen to what they are saying "keep a cat from jumping" Have they lived with a cat .

I agree with Tacogirl, you won't be able to stop a cat from jumping if she is determined to so you may as well make it as easy on her as possible. Anything you have around that be used as "steps" would work.

Is there a reason for Cujo not to see Shadow??

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old April 23rd, 2009, 12:57 PM
Cujo, Lucky, and Shadow

Ya i know eh...lol I have been trying to look for something to make it easier, but havent found anything yet, Mind u I havent been able to leave the apartment cause of being the only one here to look after her.

Im not sure why i cant let Shadow or Lucky for that matter around Cujo, the vet told me I wasnt to let them near her, or to even allow them to share the same litter for two weeks, I assuming they dont want to take the chance at infection, or them roughing or licking her.

On an Upnote, Cujo ate a little today, im thinking it was more of the juices she ate then the food itself but hey its a start, she also ate three small pieces of dry food too! YAY!! She hasnt drank much but maybe she doesnt like the water dish?? also for some reason she hasnt used the litter box in the room once, she had a lil accident on the blanket last night, so right after I put her in the litter box, and she got out and went and hid then hid again the next time i put her in it.. Hopefully she will use it soon, I would hate if she was holding it, or maybe it hurts her to go??

all in all though Im happy to say she is a little better, She is soo good most of the time taking her meds too. and I think she enjoyed me sleeping on the floor with her last night, she came right over and layed beside me, and she even pulled her soft toy the vet gave her and hugged it as she went to sleep. good signs are showing!!

Im so blessed and thankful to have found all of u on here, I never would have though I would get so many nice thoughs and support from people I have never met, It is so nice, and makes things a little easier
Old April 23rd, 2009, 01:09 PM
-

Glad to hear that Cujo is doing better. As far as not using the litter box her stomach is pretty empty so there isn't anything to come out yet. Hopefully her appetite will start improving.

What a good mommy you are, sleeping on the floor with her.

Do you have any rubbermaid storage containers of different sizes to make "steps" for her? Or anything else you can use for that matter ....take a look around your apartment and use your imagination.
Old April 23rd, 2009, 02:07 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Sounds like she is doing well.

I, personally, would allow your kitties to have supervised visits if they really want to see each other. The amoxil will keep any infections at bay.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old April 23rd, 2009, 07:14 PM
Kitty pimp

aww she doigng good!!! give her a few days to get back to normal eating as long as she stays hydrated
meds and anesthisia make kits not happy to eat for a bit
Old April 23rd, 2009, 10:16 PM
Cujo, Lucky, and Shadow

YAY Cujo is slowly getting a bit more of an apetite, she actually got up on her own to eat a couple of times today, mostly just the juices off the wet food, but a few pieces of dry food too, and she is right now laying on her blanket playing with her toy. Even though she has eaten some today she hasnt used the litter box yet, it's been over 24 hours since she has gone to the bathroom should I be concerned?? I know they said it may be a day or two before she would prob have a bowl movement but she should have at least had to do number one, I really hope she isnt holding it, I dont think she likes the litter box, but I can let her use her normal one for two weeks.

Im so so happy though that she has eaten a little, today was the most she has eaten in over a week, and the first day she has eaten any dry food since she got sick...

She also seems to not mind the Arnica (pain Meds) but she doesnt really like getting the Amoxil, but she is still so good at taking it.
Old April 24th, 2009, 12:24 AM
-

If that is the most she has eaten in a week I wouldn't expect her to poop for at least two days. Glad her appetite is getting better and hope she continues to improve.
Old April 24th, 2009, 02:08 PM
Cujo, Lucky, and Shadow

Cujo seems a little more better today, Still no litter box, but while sleeping on the floor with her last nigh i did see her going to the food dish and the water dish, so that makes so happy!! then when i woke up this morning it was to her getting into stuff, so she is slowly on the mend
Also she is giving me more and more of a hard time with giving her the amoxil, so thats gotta be a sign right there haha
Old April 24th, 2009, 04:41 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Glad to hear that she is feeling better.

Is she peeing? or just not pooping?

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old April 24th, 2009, 04:56 PM
Cujo, Lucky, and Shadow

she pee'd about 2 hrs after i brought her home then no pee or poop for 48 hours, but about a half hour ago i cam into the room and stepped in something wet she had pee's so much on the bed i made on the floor that it soaked through 2 pillows and my sleeping bag right through to the bottom blanket :S Im so glad she finally went at least pee, but i wish she would have used the litter box, I really think she knows its not her normal one and she doesnt want to use it, i wish i could get her to use it, if not it will be a long two weeks, and that prob means she has been holding it.

I just moved it to a different spot in front of the door instead of ticked away in a little nok where it was, hopefully that will help, and now lets wait for poop. lol I never though i would ever say i was waiting for poop haha
Old April 26th, 2009, 01:47 PM
Cujo, Lucky, and Shadow

We have poop today!! When I woke up I noticed Cujo had pooped and pee'd in the litter box. I can relax a little bit more now, hopefully she gets back into a normal pattern with it, but im glad at how far she has come

the only downside is she is giving me a terrible time taking the amoxil, she wont let me hold her head still to get it into her, its such a chore now to give it to her, and probably stresses her out, i wish I knew how to make it easier on her. But she still has no problem taking the arnica, haha maybe she knows the arnica is the pain meds ..lol

Also her apetite is improving greatly, she is starting to east almost completly regularly now, and i dont have to put in right in front of her anymore she gets up on her own and goes to the dish!! This makes me so happy to see her on the mend