Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old June 19th, 2005, 08:34 PM
Owned by goldens

[QUOTE=heeler's rock!]If insurance companies went on statistics alone, then in Calgary, anybody owning a golden retriever would have their house insurance cancelled. In 2002, goldens had the highest bite rate among other breeds. This is mostly due to the fact that they are so common, and more people report the bites.

They are one of the most popular breeds of dogs. I believe Labradors are way up there in the statistics as biters.
Old July 20th, 2005, 06:34 AM
BLIND DOGS RULE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by angie79
.....breed can its about training, (lol my parents have a sharpei (chinese finghting dog lol she's like a cat!) its proven a dog is what you make it you have to fight it!!!!!!!
Hi Angie.

I and many other shar-pei fanciers could easily take great offense to your comment. The shar-pei are NOT chinese fight dogs and it's more than painful to hear them referred to in that fashion.

The Chinese Shar-Pei are true working dogs. The "fight" nonsense is an outdated perversion that occured during the American breeding evolution of this breed when it arrived here. While they were breed to have loose skin, it was done for boar-hunting.
American fight enthusiasts decided to make it useful for dog fighting. Dog fighting is not an integral part of the history and development of this breed.
Please consider this the next time you refer to the shar-pei as "fighting dogs".

It will be wonderful if we eventually hear you say: My parents own a shar-pei ( those chinese working dogs)...........

Old stigmatisms die hard, and this is one of them. Please take a moment to update your shar-pei information: Visit: http://www.hkshar-pei.com/

Visit Us Online At:
http://www.chowpei.net]Visit Us Online

Old July 20th, 2005, 07:06 AM
Senior Contributor

This is posted a little late but for future reference:

State Farm in Canada does not avoid breeds of dogs but will decline if the dog (non breed specific) has bitten already. This article indicates that State Farm in the USA also does NOT discriminate although one uninformed agent may (he needs an education especially if he is watching Judge Judy)..
http://moneycentral.msn.com/content/...ome/P35347.asp

Some companies don't discriminate by breed. "We believe that there are good dogs and bad dogs within every breed, just as we believe that there are responsible and irresponsible owners," says Phil Supple of State Farm, the nation's largest home insurer.

I believe that there are good and bad agents at many companies including State Farm. Please don't judge State Farm on the actions of this one silly agent. It just goes to show once again that those that don't know the answer will often make one up than look one up.

To admins***
This is not an advertisement for State Farm just the stating of facts that State Farm does not discriminate and any home owner with a good dog (or two) that needs insurance can find what they are being denied elsewhere.

Last edited by twodogsandacat; July 20th, 2005 at 07:11 AM.
Old July 20th, 2005, 09:47 AM
Senior Contributor

Bravo State farm!!

Its important we thank people who do not discriminate rather then worry about all those jerk faces that do.
Old July 20th, 2005, 04:59 PM

Another thought. You may look into insuring you house and get your liability policy separate. That way, your house is covered regardless. I have our home insured with Germania and my liabiality is on a separate policy with Germania. You can get the liability from any company out there that writes it. Mine cost about 35.00 a year for 300,000. coverage. The problem with a home owners policy, they have it packaged all in one. I like the separate policies better, that way I know how much my liab. will cover.

PS. Hurricane missed us, getting lots of rain and scattered tornados. So far, none here where we are. We're only 35 miles from the gulf coast, the hurricane went about 100 miles from us.