Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old June 28th, 2005, 08:30 AM
Coopers mom

Dogs and cats in my yard :(

I moved in to my house a year ago, all but one side of my yard was fenced, we fenced it off basically right away. our dog is in the fenced yard when he is out. SAFE (or at least you would think so)...... My neighbour has many cats that come and live in my yard, (had her kitty's under my shed) her dog is never tied and keeps digging under the fence, barks on my front step. her other dog used to be always tied she told us the first time we met he was vicious, and bit my moms dog though the fence.

I worry that these cats/dogs dont have shots and if they scratch or bite my dog what do I do then. Because it seems to me I cant keep them out of my yard. I really hate that she doesn't take care of her animals and I'm the one who has to worry.

her dog is always barking none stop, and when we got coop I was teaching him not to bark and she heard me and was saying "ils juste parle". I really should of said something then. I just dont think its right to have (guessing) 15 out door cats and 2 dogs that you basically just put out to annoy everyone else....

Last edited by angie79; June 28th, 2005 at 08:33 AM.
Old June 28th, 2005, 09:46 AM

They make 6 foot cement fences. You can get them to dig them a foot into the ground or more all the way along so they can't get under... As for the cats, Can't you bring them to a shelter or something?
Old June 28th, 2005, 09:59 AM
IHeart Marty&Minou's Paws

Document the intrusions!

Take pictures and remark the times and dates:
Once you have like 10 'offences' go to the town. There are bylaws about keeping your dogs on your own property.

My Mother in Law got STIFFED with a $600 fine for not keeping her dog on her property

(She lives in the country with 10 acres, and some 'city dwellers' bought the house next door - they didn't know anything about the 'country code of neighbours' about taking care of each others animals. As a side note, if the city dwellers had not removed the 'ugly' fence then Jo-Jo would not have crossed the property anyways. . . neither here nor there now though)

The neighbour took pictures and video of Jo-Jo on her property, and took down the dates too. All this went to the town, and My M-I-L was issued with the fine.

This was Halton Region, Ontario.
Old June 28th, 2005, 10:08 AM

oh angie if only i had advice!! I can sympathize though -- this has got to be one of my biggest pet peeves. (Uh.. no pun intended..) I have lived in neighborhoods where it was impossible for me to have a pet because I was so busy dealing with the neighbors' pets. It's just wrong!! WRONG.
Oh and don't get me started on rude dog owners never cleaning up after their pets when they use MY FRONT YARD to do their business.... :P
Grrr!!
I'm all fired up this morning, angie!! Is there somebody you can report this neighbor to?
Old June 28th, 2005, 12:21 PM
Senior Contributor

Do what you need to do to secure your yard and keep it safe for your own pets. Last year, Den-Den was almost killed by the neighbor's dogs coming through our fence. We should have been more alert to the condition of our fence and we should have been paying more attention to what was going on next door. Your pets need to come first.
Old June 28th, 2005, 01:15 PM
Helicopter Champion

What type of fence do you have? If chain link, you can buy plastic slats that will slip vertically through the links effectively blocking the fence.

As for making digging under more difficult, if you did a small trench along your fence (say 5 inch wide by 12 - 18 inch deep) and get some chicken wire or a heavier guage square hole wire. Bend the chic-wire in an "L" with the bottom being the same (or slightly shorter) as your trench width. Place the chic-wire in the trench with the bent section facing toward your property; secure the top portion of the chic-wire to your fence, making sure it comes up far enough to stay on, and fill the trench in to secure the bottom. This will make it much more difficult to tunnel under.
Old June 28th, 2005, 01:23 PM
Coopers mom

unfortunatly the fence the dashound can bite by sitcking his nose through, belongs to them, we have half our wood pile blocking the bottom of the fence. as far as my property being used as thier toilet that is the lest of my concern.

the fact that she doesn't tie her animals up, and we are on the main road and the way she takes care of her self, i have to wonder how healthy thier animals are thats my main concern or if she even takes them to a vet i hate to say it.

some one mentioned about taking the cats to the shelter, beleive me i thought about it. when i saw that she'd had babies under my shed I thought hard about seeking loving people. but how can i give away someone elses cats that i don't know anything about the health....
Old June 30th, 2005, 10:56 AM
Coopers mom

NOW i have another concern about these animals....

I have a MAJOR ant problem and tons of weeds I would like to spray.....
I can keep my own dog away while the sprays soak up, but would feel badly if any of these loose animals get sick.

I've tried the natural solutions for ants....vinigar, yest, cornmeal (cooper ate the meal) sugar ans baking soda......
Old June 30th, 2005, 11:10 AM
IHeart Marty&Minou's Paws

Go knock on the neigbours door, and say you are spraying for ants - and that you feel this would be a good time for them to keep their animals under control. They wouldn't want them ill would they? Or put it in writing in their mailbox.

You have all the rights to spray for ants on your property.

And because you have given her notice, she can't make any complaints.