Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old June 28th, 2005, 04:09 PM
Senior Contributor

I agree,sounded like puppy stuff.I did not meet the dog.The dog should have never landed in the shelter,they are not to blame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaglemom
LL1, Keeper was not a dangerous dog by any means. He was only a puppy doing what most puppies do. His adoptive parents just didn't give him a chance and train him, they gave up on him without ever trying. Keeper would have been easily trained and would have grown out of his puppy stage had he been given the chance.
Old June 28th, 2005, 04:13 PM
Senior Contributor

You didnt meet the dog.The shelter is not to blame,it is the owner and rescue.Try and imagine what the shelters have to keep up with,and even perfect dogs and kittens get euthanized everyday,they do not have the money or resources for dogs they feel are dangerous.That's reality.It is awful and sad,and I was very upset,but OHS is not to blame.Everyone who is mad at the shelter should offer to take in dogs deemed dangerous from shelters.How many have?How many foster iffy dogs for rescues?
Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2
L1,I do not agree..Keeper had a miserable short life,only to be dumped at OHS,who knows,the husband might even have abused him.
Keeper was more than likely terrified and was defensive,had known no love and acted accordingly.OHS,could have given him more time to adjust,bring out his true personality,he was only a puppy...needed training and most of all love.Several people experienced with dogs,were willing to pull him out of there,but no,they kill him without hesitation...I for one blame the owners,but also OHS,for not giving him a chance...it's all for naught now,Keeper does not exsist anymore and it's a terrible shame
Old June 28th, 2005, 04:16 PM

LL1, I keep thinking back to when my beagle was a puppy. She was a handful, but I never once thought about giving up on her. I enrolled her in obedience class and I crate trained her. She may not be perfect to other people, but she is to me. I love her dearly and would never have given up on her. She destroyed many items, she even chewed my parents' wooden aquarium stand amongst many other things. She even loved to dig, I have a picture of her at just over 2 months digging at the cottage. She also broke through many crates. Some people would have given her up, but not us. We love her too much and knew she would outgrow this behaviour with time, patience and most importantly, training.

Keeper would have made a fine pet to someone who was willing to give him the love, attention and training that he required. It is a shame that his family gave up on him too soon and dumped him instead of finding him the right home.
Old June 28th, 2005, 04:19 PM
Senior Contributor

Please don't send awful e-mails to this SPCA, it wasn't there fault, its the women who dropped off the dog! I am sure they told her that Keeper had to go through two tests to be available for adoption. She signed the papers!
I agree they could have given the dog more time to adjust to its surrondings, but they felt Keeper was a danger to society. Blame this on the owners who didn't properly train him. When they discribing to me about Keepers behavoir, it was an "alpha" problem.
Old June 28th, 2005, 04:19 PM
Senior Contributor

Keeper

Please don't send awful e-mails to this SPCA, it wasn't there fault, its the women who dropped off the dog! I am sure they told her that Keeper had to go through two tests to be available for adoption. She signed the papers!
I agree they could have given the dog more time to adjust to its surrondings, but they felt Keeper was a danger to society. Blame this on the owners who didn't properly train him. When they discribing to me about Keepers behavoir, it was an "alpha" problem.
Old June 28th, 2005, 04:22 PM
Senior Contributor

I agree with you 100%.Thats why I do not look at the shelter to blame.The owners and rescue failed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaglemom
LL1, I keep thinking back to when my beagle was a puppy. She was a handful, but I never once thought about giving up on her. I enrolled her in obedience class and I crate trained her. She may not be perfect to other people, but she is to me. I love her dearly and would never have given up on her. She destroyed many items, she even chewed my parents' wooden aquarium stand amongst many other things. She even loved to dig, I have a picture of her at just over 2 months digging at the cottage. She also broke through many crates. Some people would have given her up, but not us. We love her too much and knew she would outgrow this behaviour with time, patience and most importantly, training.

Keeper would have made a fine pet to someone who was willing to give him the love, attention and training that he required. It is a shame that his family gave up on him too soon and dumped him instead of finding him the right home.
Old June 28th, 2005, 04:32 PM
Senior Contributor

Poodletalk,I did not send an awful e-mail to OHS,just told them how many people cared,unlike other dogs/cats killed every day,where noone sheds a tear...
Old June 28th, 2005, 04:34 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

I'm not sure if the admin's will be pleased with us mentioning the shelter in which Keeper went to. Having said this it may be a good idea to go back to your posts and edit out the part where you indicate that...afterall we want to keep the thread going to discuss but keeping all names and places out of it is probably the best idea...so I've been told.

Thx
Old June 28th, 2005, 05:09 PM
Kitty Consort

How unbelievably sad.
A tragic ending that didnt "have" to be for this puppy.
God bless and watch over you Keeper. You were let down and failed, many tears are being shed for the ultimate price you paid for this.
You will forever remain in the hearts of many.
Old June 28th, 2005, 05:34 PM

Bless you lil guy. I know you are at peace now.
Old June 28th, 2005, 08:39 PM

According to Keeper's adoptive mom's post, she was "assured" by the shelter that they wouldn't euthanize Keeper. I don't know if that's true or if she just said that to avoid being judged for being insensitive. If the shelter did promise her he wouldn't be euthanized, then it is their fault, but I highly doubt they made a promise like that before testing him. I also agree that Keeper just needed a bit more time, and I know they don't wanna be liable if Keeper bites someone, but that's what contracts are for. They could have put a clause in stating that the person now adopting fully understood that the shelter is not to blame for any incidents involving the dog's temperment as the dog failed the behavioural tests twice. if they cared enough, IMO, that's what they should ahve done. A lot of people wanted him outta there, and they tried, but weren't allowed due to what? Policy? Rules can be bent and clauses in the contract would have still protected the shelter from any bad publicity. Again, this is all JMO, and it's not like we can change it now. This never would have happened if the adoptive mom cared enough in the first place.
Old June 29th, 2005, 07:40 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

Heeler's Rock and everyone else

Please,

Let's keep this particular thread as a dedication thread and NOT rehash what happened.

I do believe that's what the OP had in mind.

Thanks
Marko
Old June 29th, 2005, 09:25 PM

I have to reply

I was going to keep my "mouth shut" on this one but I am compelled to reply. The Ottawa HS deemed 4 of our dogs unadoptable the very day they were transferred there from our overcrowded shelter. We pretty much had to jump through hoops to get them back. But get them all back we did -

the Alaskan husky who "showed no interest in humans, liked to run, and bounced so high he'd only be able to live in a covered kennel for the rest of his life" was successfully adopted out by another shelter who helped us after we had a transport person pick him up.

The shar pei mix who "growled and backed up" was picked up by another transporter who fostered him for a week for us - and bathed him the same day with no problems. She liked him so much that she got her friend in rescue to take him in and last I heard he was having fun in flyball.

And the 1 year old neutered brothers, golden retriever/lab mixes - one of which was deemed as "unsocial, doesn't want human interaction, separation anxiety, possible fear biter" and the other one had a condition called "dry eye" which would would require CHEAP lifetime drops we're picked up by yet another transporter and had a great ride half way back to us to where I picked them up - wagging tails, happy-go-lucky, taking treats. They were eventually taken in by a rescue as well.

I of ALL people don't like to bash shelters, but when a so-called humane society temperament tests on the FIRST day, even second or third day, you have to wonder what they are thinking. Anyone who knows anything about dogs should know that most dogs entering a scary place like a shelter are going to need a few days to calm down and get used to a new environment.

Jenny
Old June 29th, 2005, 09:27 PM

I'm sorry

I just read Marko's post and I do agree that this should be about keeper. Please feel free to delete my post (although I do stand behind what I said.).

Jenny
Old June 29th, 2005, 09:31 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

If you can please explain what u had to do to get those dogs back. I'm happy to hear of all those happy endings in a thread which was so sad.

So maybe the owner of the dog or the rescue could have been able to get the dog out of there?

Oh dear, now I am so very upset at that thought that he could have been saved...was there something else we could have done???
Old June 29th, 2005, 09:45 PM

I doubt they would have released him...

We were contacted by the Ottawa HS after the dogs failed and we're told point blank that they would be euthanized. One of my employees relayed the message to me and I immediately called them to put a stop to the euthanasia. I was told that they cannot release dogs that have failed the temperament test. I demanded to talk to the person in charge but kept getting the run around. I finally found his number and succeeded in leaving a message on his answering machine. Next thing I knew, someone called us back and said if we could come and get the dogs right away, they would sign them back over to us. So maybe jumping through hoops was an exageration, but it took a lot of demanding for them to release our dogs back. And that's what I did - I DEMANDED, not asked. We were fully prepared to go to the press about this as well if we had not got them back, but luckily we did not have to resort to this. But, the difference with this is that we are a shelter and they knew we were going to take back full responsibility. I don't know how successful the ex-owner or an unknown rescue would have been....
Old June 29th, 2005, 09:48 PM

sorry about this, one more thing...

I know I said we should keep this about keeper...maybe another thread should be opened to continue talking about this, BUT, I just rememebered something else just after I pressed the submit key. The Ott.HS told us that the best chance that the brother's had was to be returned to their owner. So we told them that we contacted the owner's and they definetely wanted them back, just to make things go smoother (they didn't really). Sooo, maybe it's just because we were pushing, but they were the ones that said they should be returned.

Jenny
Old June 29th, 2005, 10:20 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Oh Jenny! I wish I hadn't asked. However if perhaps there were some force or weight behind it our little Keeper may still be around. I can't even think about that BUT it serves as a good reminder to those reading this. Be careful be so very careful. Yes I do agree the TT is done far too soon and by those who may not be qualified. These poor animals are in such sad situations where they are fearful and it's just not fair not fair at all.

Thank you for your posts, you have supplied some very interesting information.
Old June 30th, 2005, 06:31 AM
Senior Contributor

Jenny,thank's...first for saving those five dogs and for letting us know,that with some effort you can save a doomed dog...too late for missunderstood Keeper,but his death might not be for nothing,maybe people with some concience will think twice before"dumping"their animals..