Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old February 27th, 2012, 09:26 PM

Question Fecal Issues: Possible underlying problems?

History:
Dog has been on a raw meaty bone/prey model diet with no serious issues since he was a couple months old. Had to leave him for three months with friends so he went back to kibble. Fast forward to a week ago.

Switch from kibble back to PMD. Completely did it wrong, forgot to fast and went to some elk ribrack I had in the freezer. It's recommended to fast for 1 day and then move to chicken with higher bone content. I fasted, then went to chicken leg 1/4's. He was having trouble controlling his bowels going #2 for the first couple days which is relatively normal due to different digestive enzymes needed to handle eating raw.

8 or so days later he has been eating elk ribrack the last 3-4 days which contained small amts. of organ meat. Probably a bit rich in diet (in relation to how long he's been on PMD) but very healthy meat. His stool is firming up yet some come out covered partially in mucous. I noticed one poop come out4 days ago or so and just the 1/4 tip was covered in mucous.

Is this possibly whipworm?

Additional information: He is kept during the day in a pen that has strawbales and some loose straw in it. He goes #2 in the loose straw and the temps have been thawing and freezing regularly. The poop is removed and areas of straw splayed with a bleach solution. The bales of hay will be removed and the area will be left to dry out and decontaminated before they are replaces by this weekend.

I'm concerned that he might have a parasite, possibly whipworm or some other worm. I doubt this is colitis. It could be just from the switch in diets and going to rich too fast in relation to meat/organ rations.

He acts healthy & normal and has good energy.

I have a fecal sample inside tupperware in my fridge that's a day old. I'm starting him on GSE grapefruit seed extract (1 drop/10lbs body wait 3 times a day via eyedropper starting tomorrow.

Any thoughts? Thanks for taking the time to read this. NOTE: He's up to date on his shots but is NOT on anything for worms. I am also poor but want the best for my pup.
Attached Images

Tags
fecal matter, mucous poo, slime, stools