Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old July 16th, 2007, 02:40 PM

Pets.ca's version of matchmaker

As some of you may have read in my previous thread, Im currently in the middle of a rather strange adoption story. As such, it has gotten me to thinking about my "ideal" breed of dog.

If things work out, this won't be of any relevance (as I may not need a dog). But just in case.

Here are things that are the most important to me:

In no particular order:

1. Size - I, as a general rule of taste, do not enjoy the company of "small" dogs. I like small medium - medium large dogs. Think cocker spaniel - Labrador Retriever. Nothing smaller, nothing larger.

2. Energy Level - I would like a dog with energy, but not a dog I will have to run for miles and miles a day. I have a largish (1/3 acre) fenced in back yard and live across the street to a very large lake, so both of these will be used in excercise.

3. Training - I don't need my dog to be crate trained and I dont need to him to know many commands (although sit and stay would be nice). The two important factors are I would like him to be easily potty-trained and able to be outside without a leash (meaning he won't run away if he gets outside of the fence)

4. Jumping - My back yard is fenced, but the fence is only about 4-5 feet tall (not sure exactly). I know some dogs can easily leap this and will bolt if given the chance. Either a dog that doesnt jump or a dog that won't run away would be great

5. Swimming - As I said, I live near the water. I would love a dog that isn't afraid of the water, and would be even happier with one who enjoys swimming

6. Temperment - I have 2 cats, and new children are in my 6-10 year plan (have to think 15 years ahead when getting a dog). As such, I would love a dog that is known to be gentle and good tempered.

I think thats about it. Let me know what you guys think of!
Old July 17th, 2007, 06:33 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan View Post
:

1. Size - I, as a general rule of taste, do not enjoy the company of "small" dogs. I like small medium - medium large dogs. Think cocker spaniel - Labrador Retriever. Nothing smaller, nothing larger.
That is quite a difference in sizes that you are considering. Just to let you know some Labrador Retrievers may get up pretty close to 100 pounds....so you may want to reconsider what sizes you are looking for.

Quote:
:
2. Energy Level - I would like a dog with energy, but not a dog I will have to run for miles and miles a day. I have a largish (1/3 acre) fenced in back yard and live across the street to a very large lake, so both of these will be used in excercise.
This sounds great for many dogs.

Quote:
:
3. Training - I don't need my dog to be crate trained and I dont need to him to know many commands (although sit and stay would be nice). The two important factors are I would like him to be easily potty-trained and able to be outside without a leash (meaning he won't run away if he gets outside of the fence)
This is going to take some work. Depends on the breed too as some breeds have a high prey drive, and it may not even be breed specific...some dogs have a high prey drive as well, meaning that they can take off and run after things sometimes not depending on how well they are trained.
This would be something I would give more thought too as well.

Quote:
:
4. Jumping - My back yard is fenced, but the fence is only about 4-5 feet tall (not sure exactly). I know some dogs can easily leap this and will bolt if given the chance. Either a dog that doesnt jump or a dog that won't run away would be great
Again, this depends on the size of the dog and the breed of the dog.

Quote:
:
5. Swimming - As I said, I live near the water. I would love a dog that isn't afraid of the water, and would be even happier with one who enjoys swimming
Many dogs like water or will learn to like the water. This one shouldn't be too big of an issue.

Quote:
:

6. Temperment - I have 2 cats, and new children are in my 6-10 year plan (have to think 15 years ahead when getting a dog). As such, I would love a dog that is known to be gentle and good tempered.

I think thats about it. Let me know what you guys think of!
Well this is something that you can work on if you get a puppy, or if you adopt a rescue than this is something that should already be known about them.

Good Luck.