Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old August 6th, 2008, 10:52 AM

Question Crate Training Early Question

I posted here earlier with "New Pup Need Help Badly". I've decided to go with the crate training. He's approx 7 weeks or so, he's named Jersey. Watched the video posted on this site seems good. ->http://www.perfectpaws.com/video/crate_training.html

But here's my question:
How often should we try this method in the run of a day? In other words how many times do we have to go through the routine of getting him in the crate, letting him cry then wait till he calms down and take him out again. I was also thinking of leaving the door open when he's not in it to see if eventually he'll go in on his own.

Now we've decided to set a schedule to start trying to get him to eliminate outside. Between when my wife gets home from work in the night and when I get up for work in the morning he would only be in his crate for 5 1/2 hrs so we thought that we should only have to get up in the night once. Approx 2hrs after he's in there.
We of course also we'll be taking him out regulary throughout the day and evening time before bed.
Thanks to all the helpful pet lover's who have been helping us we apprecaite it.
Old August 6th, 2008, 09:41 PM
Agility Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgansdad View Post
How often should we try this method in the run of a day?
As often as you can is the best response! Unfortunately there is no fixed schedule of how quickly it will work - each pup is an individual with its own history and obstacles... Some take to the crate immediately, others need plenty of repetition, others never take to it.
I personally would prefer that you do a mix of what they suggest on the video and also completely ignoring the pup when you release him from the crate. While I understand that their idea is to further relax the pup and get him into the crate again almost immediately, I worry that some pups will find the coming out of the crate = cuddles which is what most puppies live for. I'd prefer the exiting of the crate to be mundane - an unrewarding/unexciting experience.

Quote:
I was also thinking of leaving the door open when he's not in it to see if eventually he'll go in on his own.
Excellent idea...in fact I would prefer that it all be the pups choice but I know that most of us don't have that kind of time. I would also suggest that all great things happen in the crate, feed him inside, toss his toy inside for him to retrieve, toss a few treats, maybe only let him have his favorite chew toy inside the crate etc...

Quote:
Now we've decided to set a schedule to start trying to get him to eliminate outside. Between when my wife gets home from work in the night and when I get up for work in the morning he would only be in his crate for 5 1/2 hrs so we thought that we should only have to get up in the night once. Approx 2hrs after he's in there.
7 week old puppies will likely need to eliminate at least every hour! Expecting him to hold himself for 5.5hrs is too much and most puppies that age require numerous nightly trips. Of course the goal is to build up his bladder so hopefully 1 trip will suffice but I would never deny a puppy that age a potty break.
If you don't have a dog walker/neighbour coming in to give the puppy pee breaks, he will have no choice but go in his crate (which is the last thing you want)... Like posters in your other thread, I do not like puppy pads either - HOWEVER, I'd rather see a puppy have a "right" place to eliminate than just eliminating anywhere that takes his fancy during his 5hrs of alone time. Ideally you can hire someone to take your puppy out at least every couple of hours (instead of p-pads) but if that's not possible, I would suggest an x-pen, so he has a section to eliminate in and a crate or mat in the other end to rest in. Puppy pads are FAR from ideal and they create EXTRA work for you but it can be done if you are consistent and quickly fade their use (for example, they should only be used when he is left for that 5hrs, they are NOT an option at any othet time; as his control increases (likely within 2-3 weeks - possibly sooner), remove the pads and make the transition to crate only!)

Each puppy is unique - my 6 week old puppy was capable of holding his bladder for 12hrs overnight and 6hrs during the day (luckily he never HAD to, because I arranged my schedule to be at home for the most part). You may win the "puppy-bladder lottery" too - or you may be getting up several times throughout the night.. It all depends on the puppy!