Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old July 19th, 2004, 04:26 PM
Senior Contributor

Rocky"sunstroke"

Well,it happened again,scared me to death.I had all three cats outside with me,I gave them some treats as usual
Rocky started heaving and threw up his,undigested.Then he tried to stand up,but kept falling over.His eyes were distant and strange.
He stumbled to under my deck,where he laid down and started panting...I thought he was going to die
But before I knew it he was back to normal.This has happened about 4 times in two years.
I called the vet,she suggested sunstroke and that I keep an eye on him,if it happens again,to bring him in right away.
He had his vaccinations two days ago and was sluggish for two days,did not eat much and slept most of the time and today this.
At one time I thought he had seizures because of the anti-stress drug Clomipramine,but he's not been on meds for several months.
Strokes have been counted out,since ha has no after-effects,the vet does also not think he's epileptic,since it only happens outside in the summer and only for the past 2 years,a couple of times each summer.
Chico andVinnie were so sweet,they just sat there watching Rocky as if they were worried and later in the house Chico curled up with Rocky and they slept.
Question,has anyone had a cat who reacts to the sun this way?
With all the cats I have ever had I have never experienced anything like it.
I of course am thinking all kinds of horrible diseases,but my vet is not too concerned.
Old July 19th, 2004, 04:40 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

OH geeze I was thinking about him, and the vaccinations oh boy oh boy oh boy.!!

I think it's probably got something to do with those vaccinations too, because they increase your temperature...he probably has been running a bit of a fever and that just did it, being in the sun, pushed him over the edge

Give him hugs from auntie Lubie
Old July 19th, 2004, 05:33 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh poor Rocky!! <smooches Rocky's nose>

What vaccinations is he getting, and how many times has he had them? Cats are oh-so-sensitive to chemicals and can have bad reactions to vaccinations. And of course, cats are extemely intolerant of hot, humid temperatures.

If Rocky is never out of your sight, that is, if he is NOT roaming around, I would certainly skip the vaccs.
Old July 19th, 2004, 10:41 PM
Senior Contributor

He is not roaming around,he's always within sight with me,as are the others.
I was concerned about the other critters that come into the backyard at night,maybe the cats could get sick from something they leave behind
Anyway,Rocky had all the vaccines except rabies(every 2 years),leukemia,Calicivirus,Rhino,Panleukopenia.
I am hoping you and Luba are right,when I think back,the other times he became ill was also around vax-time,he always is done in July.
Right now he's doing fine,ate his food and seems back to normal,except he licks his lips quiet a lot.
I am certainly not going to give him anything that makes him sick,the vet is not going to like it,but it's my cats that matter. Thank's girls!
Ps,He's had his vaccines every year since he was a baby,I always was under the impression they needed to be vaccinated,but you live and learn.
Old July 19th, 2004, 11:22 PM
Senior Contributor

Sorry Rocky is feeling, well . . a little rocky! Give him cuddles from me. Not from Puss-Puss though, because she'd probably give him a swipe across the nose. She's ornery that way towards other cats coming on the property.
Old July 20th, 2004, 07:10 PM
Senior Contributor

He is fine today,was outside with us for 3 hours,checking the shed for mice,hiding in the bushes watching the birdfeeder
Rocky and Chico stay in the shade..young Vinnie does not seem bothered by the sun,since he's white I put sunprotection on his ears
Vinnie was sneaking up on a Robin(i will not let him catch any bird!)and I wish I'd had a camera ready,Vinnie jumped after the bird,twisted in the air as to not fall into the pool and missed the pool by an inch,hilarious
Old July 20th, 2004, 08:47 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

OH I'm happy he's feeling better. I bet it is the vaccinations.

Which did he get?