Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old July 19th, 2004, 12:51 PM

cat miows when entering litter box

I have 2 cats andboth are really active and eating well. They are 1 year old and been eating the same type of cereals for 6 months now.
They have 2 litter boxes wich are cleaned everyday.
Recently, my cats developped strange behaviors. I often find some big marks of poo on the floor near the litter box, either perfectly straight or waving, as if one of them would be scratching his butt on the floor...while pooing ??? I examined both of them and they arent red or anything, and it only happens once in a while. Now I noticed that Tass will miow loudly when he goes into the litter box. Indiana on the other hand will miow like crazy and wait for us to go get him in the bath, he will just sit there. but for indiana, it might just be his new thing, befoe he would spend hours miowing at every wire he would meet.
I am easily worried for my cats and goes to the vet often, so far everything is in order. Are my cats just strange? Their poo is normal texture and colored...could that be a sign of parasites? They are indoor cats and never been out...

Could someone give me advice?
Old July 19th, 2004, 02:23 PM
Senior Contributor

Is your cat straining in the litterbox? Does he seem to have a hard time to go?

If he is constipated, this causes some pain and would make him cry and also could make him drag his butt on the floor.

He could also have anal gland problems or even worms.

If he is constipated, you can try giving him some canned food. Sometimes cats do not drink enough water, and if you give him dry food only he may not be getting enough moisture.
Old July 19th, 2004, 03:39 PM

Thank you so much for the quick response. Ok. I guess I will go to the vet and see what kind of soft food would be good. Do you have any recommandations? Is there other signs to look for to see if it might be worms? Because I didnt see anything in the poo?
And it might sound really ignorant...but he is castrated, can he still have gland problems???
My cat is really dependant. He follows us everywhere. The litter box is downstairs and sometimes he will miow until we go downstairs with him and then he goes to the litter box. Could it be that he restrains himself from going? In that case would he have the same symtoms as constipation???
Old July 19th, 2004, 03:48 PM
Senior Contributor

Having a cats litter box downstairs sometimes prevents them from using it - I would MUCH rather have it as far away as possible. If your cat is waiting for you to go with him so he can go to the washroom, that could be a problem. He could be forcing himself to hold it. Try moving the litter to a closer location, if there is a better one like a laudry room, or bathroom. Better to rule things out, right?!

I know it's not the greatest but Connor will only eat the really cheap cat dinners! For that reason he gets 1/2 a can once week. Kinda like us eating McDonald's I guess. I tried so many others, but just the cheap kind...so, I'm sorry I can't help you with finding a good wet food, but don't worry, someone else will have more info for you!!!
Old July 19th, 2004, 05:28 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh gee! I know someone else whose cat "forces" her to go to the basement with him when he needs to use the box!

Castration has nothing to do with anal glands - all cats have them!

But if you think your cat is "holding it" because he doesn't want to go alone, you might try using boxes in two places for now - so he always has one handy.

When he is more comfortable going where you want him to, you can eliminate the other box.

Any canned food is o.k. - just stay away from tuna flavored ones for neutered males, and store brands. They seem to have more fillers than name brands.