Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old February 2nd, 2004, 10:06 PM

Ready for doggie prozac?

I am not sure what to do at this point, my dog Max has always been a whiny dog. Whines when you get up, whines when someone comes near me etc.. He is getting so much worse, he is always whining and "talking" he never shuts up. I have noticed that since I have become pregnant, this behaviour is getting worse. I am not sure what to do, any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Old February 2nd, 2004, 10:43 PM
Senior Contributor

Some dogs certainly are more whiney and worried than others....what do you do when he behaves this way?

How old is he? How long have you had him, and what breed is he?

With more info, we can offer better suggestions.
Old February 2nd, 2004, 11:19 PM

I have had him his whole life, he will be nine this year. He is a belgian malinois, great dane cross. Normally when he is being whiny etc.. we give him pets and loves but now that does nothing to sooth him. My neice was here the other nite and he was acting so jealous toward her every time she ran to me or cuddled etc.

He has recently begun licking his elbow to the point of making it bleed, I think the vet called it "lick granuloma"? He was treated with meds but this has done nothing. Unfortuneatly he also has diplaysia, this limits the amount of exercise he can have in our
-30 degree celcius weather.
Old February 3rd, 2004, 12:03 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
we give him pets and loves but now that does nothing to sooth him
There's your answer! All his life you have been rewarding and encouraging his whining. I know you didnt do it on purpose, but when you say "Ohhh, it's o.k. - it's all right" what the dog understands is "Oh good boy- keep whining."

A dog should never be soothed or comforted for showing fear or anxiety as this reinforces and rewards the behavior.

It's going to be hard to undo this after 9 years of rewarding it!. You must stop soothing or comforting him when he whines. A sharp "Enough!", completely ignoring him, putting him in another room for a few minutes - these are some methods of breaking this habit. Since he is used to you giving him what he wants all this time, this could be a lengthy process.

The point of it all is that whining gets him NO attention, soothings, or comforting. Dogs only do what works, so he should catch on that whining gets him the opposite of what he wants.