Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior > Cat behavior forum - cat training

Old February 16th, 2010, 09:21 AM

Question Un neutered male cat keeping me and my son up at night

I have a male cat named Khai lan (We thought he was a female when we first got him which is why he has a girls name) he is almost 7 months old and set to get neutered in a month. He has always been a very talkative cat. He talks and sings all the time. He's not neglected and is very healthy he just likes to meow alot.

Over the past couple of months he has been up all night meowing and howling. He purposely goes into my two year old son's room and wakes him up my meowing or nudging his face and then he will come into my room and do the same thing. We aren't getting enough sleep! So a couple days ago I adopted a female cat named Noel (who is spayed and the same age as him) in the hopes that if he had company he wouldn't be waking us up at night. They get along great (other than when he tries to mount her. Then she just flips him over and hisses) so I had hoped that we would get more sleep. Instead he is still meowing all night! He meows during the day too but I don't mind that. He has clean fresh water and fresh food and clean litter box and lots of toys. I spend lots of time playing with both cats during the day hoping it will wear them out.

I'm assuming that he is acting this way because he is hitting puberty and wants a female to mate with. I can't get him neutered for a month though. Is there any way that I can get him to stop waking us up all night? I live in an apartment with two bedrooms. I can't shut him in with my son or me because that will still keep us up and the bathroom is next to my son's room so if he continues meowing it will still wake him up. I'm at a loss for what to do!
Old February 16th, 2010, 10:54 AM
Catlover2

By nature cats are nocturnal, and can sleep 18 out of 24 hrs., but a lot of our pets will adjust their schedule to ours, and some of the more active breeds like Siamese, Abys and Rexes don't sleep that long. When the hormones are raging as is the case with your boy, sorry but the evening serenade is to attract the girls, and will stop after he's neutered. If you have a carrier you could put him in at night with a small litter pan. This might calm him down, but he's a talkative fellow, so may not.

Your best bet is to get him as tired as possible just before you go to bed by playing vigourously with him and get him to do lots of running around by throwing him toys or dragging something around behind you. You might also try Bach's Rescue Remedy the non-alcohol for Pets as it has a mild sedative effect) and give him some just before you go to bed. Health food stores carry it, possibly Wal-Marts.
Old February 16th, 2010, 12:32 PM

I think he is part siamese. He's all black with sleek short shiny fur that never sheds. His body is slim and kind of long. His face is also very slim and he has a long tail. He really does talk alot. I looked up cat breeds on google and some people have Black Siamese cats so I think that might be what he is. Thank you for your suggestions
Old February 16th, 2010, 01:18 PM
chronically insane.

He just may be a talker. Its more of unspayed females who are annoying when they go into heat.

Boys don't go into heat of course, and it is possible he is seeking a mate, but i'd put it more towards what catlover2 suggested for trying to tire him out before bed.

Of course it's always great to see people getting their cats fixed and maybe once he is neutered he might calm down and will quiet down a bit.

~ RIP Timmy ~ May 2009 - November 6th 2009
Old February 16th, 2010, 01:24 PM
Senior Contributor

Having 2 orientals I can tell you that they are very talkative.

I also take in many foster cats that are anywhere from 10 weeks to the golden years. Even though my own cats are spayed and neutered, and the foster is not - it does cause some disruptions and disturbances in the home when the foster comes of sexual maturity.

Even though my females are spayed, the male fosters will cry all day and night. They want to mate with a receptive female.

Neutering will soothen his impulse, but if he is oriental -he will remain talkative.
Old February 16th, 2010, 04:12 PM
Catlover2

Like BenMax says it sounds like you've got an Oriental Shorthair. They're basically a Siamese cat without the pointed color pattern. Breeders crossed Siamese with Domestic SH to get the solid & tabby colours. They certainly are an active talkative breed. And no, he won't be sleeping 18 hrs. a day!
http://www.cfa.org/breeds/profiles/oriental.html
Old February 16th, 2010, 04:19 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

He could be just lonely or bored or just a talker. My Jasper is quite a talker, in fact, he drives me sometimes.
I agree, pooping him out before bedtime will help tremendously.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old February 16th, 2010, 05:30 PM

I've tried playing with him but he isn't very interested in playing right now. He's paying all of his attention to the new cat and on't play with me. I even tried using a laser pointer. He played with it for a few minutes and then went back to chasing the female. I'm so ehausted lol.
Old February 17th, 2010, 12:07 AM
Catlover2

When those sexual urgings start, it is hard to get their attention, so I'm not surprised he rather play with Noel. Can you get Khai neutered sooner?

There are two low cost spay/neuter clinics in Newmarket (north of Toronto) and Barrie (a little farther north). I realize Brantford is a bit of a drive, I think it would be just over 2 hrs. in off peak times.

http://www.spayneuter.ontariospca.ca/
Old February 17th, 2010, 08:08 AM

I don't have a car and wouldn't be able to find a ride to go that far.

Tags
cat, meowing