Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old September 20th, 2011, 11:35 AM

Help with "Down" command.

My old roommate (Cat) has a boxer mix named Saleen.

While I adore Saleen, she is a rather large dog (I hang around with Jack Russells lol) and loves to jump on people when they visit. Personally, I'm more tolerable than most probably would be. I like when dogs jump up to say hi, but her size does play a factor. I sometimes worry she's going to tear my t-shrits (she comes up to my chest on her hind legs) or knock me down; she's a powerful baby, lol. And super excited all the time. Cat only has a small backyard and the dogs spent most of the time in the house.

She knows "sit" pretty well and sometimes understands "down" if she's on the couch and Cat says it in the proper "Mama's not happy" tone. But I was just curious if there is anything I can do to help her learn to stay off people and maybe calm down? I go over every and then, but I can go see them more often if it will help.

I also am trying to prevent the puppy from learning her habit. He's little now, well mainly in weight lol, but catching things early is always good I suppose. I could never handle both of them at once, haha.
Old September 20th, 2011, 12:41 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm not clear on what it is you want. DOWN to me is lying down which I taught by luring from a SIT with a treat and a clicker to mark.

It sounds to me that you don't want the dog to jump more than you want her to lie down? There are several methods for teaching not jump.

Ignore and turn your back. My dog was good at jumping on my back but it works for some.

Reward for sitting or DOWN if you like but I didn't find that worked either because you've got to free them from the sit or down sometime and then they jump.

Once they jump hold their paws and don't let them back down. I'm the only person one little dog we meet doesn't jump on because his owners let me do this with him. Caution not to twist legs. Hold under their paws as some bite at you.

Yank 'em down. Set the dog up with owner and on leash and flat collar. You encourage dog to jump, when she does the owner yanks her down and gives her word for not jumping. The class I learned this in one little poodle type got it first try. The two Labs each took 3 tries. This sounds rough and doesn't look good to people on the street but I really believe there is more potential for harming the dog in the holding the paws one.

I advanced through all of these till I got to the last one and it worked.

Oh, forgot. Knee in the chest. Probably OK for a Boxer but is a rougher method. Also stepping on the back toes and walking into the dog. All can cause dog to fall so there is potential for hurt but it's my opinion a real injury would be a pretty freaky one off. Start with the easy, less rough ones and advance if you have to or feel comfortable with. No need to be rough if you don't have to.
Old September 20th, 2011, 01:01 PM
Unofficial Zookeeper

I second all of the above, and I have a "weird" one to add.

I dog sat for an over exhurberant "border collie" who would literally jump from the back of her owners couch onto my "head" , shoulders...what not. It was litterally like cacthing a anvil from a two story window.

I finally (after trying the above posters suggestions) (which none of worked)...walked back outside and shut the door. Walked back in, walked back out, walked back in , walked back out.
The dog was throughly confused, but everytime she made a MOVE towards me, i went back out.
FINALLY>..as I came in the last time...she just sat on the back of the couch and didnt move.
I walked over to her, told her good girl, and asked her to get down.
she does..and we proceed with normal, petting, treat...ect.
The next time I came over...it took her three jumps ..and the next time I came over. NO JUMPING on me.

I know your situation is a bit different being that the dog is just jumping from the floor and not the couch. But if none of the above works...try it.
Simply walk out and shut the door as soon as the dog LUNGES your way.
repeat this until the dog either gets tired of getting all excited , and then you walk out.
So..he calms down and realises when he calms down..you stay inside.

It may take 30 mins to get in the door, and dog not be jumping on you. But if he's anything like most dogs..he'll cacth on rather quickly and soon the "sight" of you coming in the door will be like...Oh...cats friend is here...hi...friend....pet me will ya.
Instead of the OMG..someone is here, someone is here, jump jump jump.
Old September 21st, 2011, 12:26 AM

To clarify the "knee in the chest" is used as a defensive movement not a forward offensive motion. You bring your knee up & across your body to prevent the dog from reaching your torso, works well if you step back as the dogs' legs are coming down towards your knee as they end up missing you entirely.

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old September 21st, 2011, 10:42 AM

Thanks!

And I did mean more of not to jump. I apologize for my terminology.

I'll be sure to give these a try. Stuff like this isn't my thing, so the help is much appreciated.