Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > In the News - Pet related articles and stories in the press > Newspaper Articles of Interest (animal/pet related) from Around the World

Old August 13th, 2004, 10:53 AM

What about the positive stories?

Why are people posting these terrible stories? Yes bad news is news. But good news is news as well.

Of course people are free to post the stories they find interesting, but these last 5 are quite disturbing. If we want disturbing all we have to do is turn on the 6 o'clock news.

Does anyone have any happy pet news stories?
Old August 13th, 2004, 11:26 AM
banned user

Can I get an "AMEN" !?

Even the six o'clock news always closes with a "feelgood" story. It's a method utilized in journalism. The horror stories get your attention and appeals to your morbid fascination, and the "feelgood" closing gets you to recover emotionally and feel it all ended on a good note. Just a bit of trivia for ya.
Old August 13th, 2004, 11:45 AM
Senior Contributor

And He Lived Happily Ever After
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted by AHS on Apr 9, 2004, 17:03

My name is “Louie,” and this is my story. It's not so different from a lot of other dogs' stories out there. It starts off a bit sad. But if you stick with me until the end, you'll see that it has a happy ending.

It all started three years ago when I was born. As puppies go, I was very cute, so it comes as no surprise that a family took me home when I was old enough to leave my mom and littermates. At first, my family seemed to like me a lot and showed me off to all of their friends. But, I was a puppy and sometimes got into mischief or had an accident in the house. Soon, my family got tired of cleaning up after me, but they never trained me to be a good inside dog. If they were really mad, they would hit me. No one should ever hit an animal!

Before long, my family left me outside for hours so that I wouldn't soil the house. Soon, I was never allowed in the house and spent all day and night outside by myself. I had no toys and no one to play with in the yard ... I was lonely and sad. My family practically forgot about me. Sometimes they forgot to feed me or give me fresh water. And, the yard was so hot and had no shade. I sat in the dirt all day with only the occasional bird to keep me company. I had a sunburned nose and was very thirsty. But I was always happy to see the boy in the family. He would run the garden hose for me so that I could get a drink. I would try to play with him, but I was so excited to see him that I jumped, bounced and barked all at the same time. My family said that I was “hyper.” No – I was just lonely.

When I was 8 months old, my family decided that they no longer wanted me. I knew that I wouldn't miss them, but I was scared. They took me to a shelter and said that I'd find another family. They told the people at the shelter that I was “hyper” and that my name was “Brat.” When they drove away, I wasn’t even sad. It took a little while, but a new family fell in love with me at the shelter and took me home. I guess that I was loveable after all!

My new family named me “Louie” and taught me how to be a well-behaved indoor dog. They were very patient and never hit me; instead, they rewarded me when I was good. I got lots of treats and hugs! They even took me to obedience class so that I would learn good manners. I wanted to do everything right.

I now live indoors; I sit on the couch to watch television; I have plenty to eat and drink; and I don't have enough hours in the day to play with all of my toys. Plus, there are two other dogs and three cats to keep me company. My family gives me lots of attention and love, and I give them all my love and loyalty in return. Sometimes, though, I get scared when my family leaves because I'm not sure that they'll come back ... but they always do (I should really try to remember that). So, what started off as a sad “tail” is now a happy one. Although it’s far from over, I’m sure the ending will be “and he lived happily ever after.”

© Copyright 2002 - azhumane.org
Old August 13th, 2004, 12:08 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks! I needed that!
Old August 13th, 2004, 01:05 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Winnipeg

Cat missing for 20 years finds it's way home!!

Yup I said 2 decades!! Lack of vision didn't stop this black furball from deciding it was time to return home after being gone so long!

Can you believe it??

Sorry I couldn't find the link, but saw it on tv
Old August 13th, 2004, 03:07 PM
A.R.Activist & Vet Assis.

Unfortunatley, the "good" news usually doesn't make the headlines.
I was about to post another story that is close to home where I live. I will not post anymore unless you give the go ahead.
My apologies.I will post only in the animal rights cafe then .... But I feel people need to be aware that this still goes on everyday and even in our home towns. Be careful with your pets, be aware and protect them at any cost if you can. The happy stories are wonderful to read about but they are few and far between. (at least the ones that get into the news)
Old August 13th, 2004, 03:45 PM
Senior Contributor

You are right ,i could not find many,just that one.
Old August 13th, 2004, 05:00 PM

Louie
Congratulations on your new home and God Bless your new Mom, Dad, sister's and brothers...

You made me feel warm and fuzzy inside... well even outside cause I got alot of fur ... , but seriously, I'm happy to hear you are ok .... should have named ya LUCKY !!

chat soon
Wuff Kuma
Old August 15th, 2004, 07:44 AM
Senior Contributor

I generally do not read about abuse,neglect and evil people,it is just pointless,unless I can do something about it,like taking a base-ball bat to the perpetrator The law is certainly not doing enough to stop,or punish animal-abuse,at least not in Canada.
Shae,I know it goes on and every day some poor creature is tortured by evil people,but I cannot deal with reading about details,I get nighmares and a feeling of hopelessness,because I could not help.
I take care and make sure my own animals are never out of sight and if I would see or hear about anyone abusing an animal,I'll certainly take care of it,no matter how big or strong the person is.
I am sure,you want to open our eyes to what goes on and mean well,but you must also have some good news stories,right
Old August 15th, 2004, 09:29 AM
Senior Contributor

I have to be feeling really strong before I allow myself to read those stories. Just the comments from those who read them are enough to give me that sick feeling. I know it goes on. I really can't bear to hear or see the details. I speak out when I see parents allowing a child to maul a pet, or when I hear someone wanting their little fluffy to have a litter. I could never stand by and see someone abuse an animal, any more than I could watch them abuse another person. I donate to several organizations that help animals, even though my "reward" has been mail stuffed with horrible pictures. I've learned to throw the graphic solicitations in the trash without opening them. When I send a donation, I now write a note requesting to not be put on a mailing list. I wonder if Bill Gates contributes to benefit animals? I know he and his wife are big-time philanthropists.
Old August 15th, 2004, 04:53 PM

Smile

I hear ya Glasslass ... all my hair products and makeup etc... MUST be animal friendly ... not tested on them... I know that if a child abuses an animal, chances are great that they will be abusers in adulthood.

I wish for a safe and carefree world for our animals ... a world full of dog bones, kitty nip and treats .. one of human understanding, patience and an abundance of unconditional love...

Peace to all
Kuma's Mom
Terrie
Old August 16th, 2004, 10:50 AM

I agree, no animal should be put through suffering just so we can have those little things that dont benefit anyone else but ourselves Also, alot of people only really think about the dogs and cats, and bigger animals who are tested on, but what about all our other little furry friends (yes, even mice!)? Shouldnt they have some rights too??
Old August 16th, 2004, 03:09 PM

I agree .... be it a rodent or a family pet... a life is a life...

I sometimes feel that these experiments should be done on humans to see the pain and suffering that is endured!... i'm not quite sure why experiments are done on animals... I mean most products that were used for experiment are NOT necessary products, they are more products of convenience.

Seriously ... how can you hurt this face
Attached Images

Old August 24th, 2004, 09:43 PM
~Cat Servent~

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2
I generally do not read about abuse,neglect and evil people,it is just pointless,unless I can do something about it,like taking a base-ball bat to the perpetrator The law is certainly not doing enough to stop,or punish animal-abuse,at least not in Canada.
Shae,I know it goes on and every day some poor creature is tortured by evil people,but I cannot deal with reading about details,I get nighmares and a feeling of hopelessness,because I could not help.
I take care and make sure my own animals are never out of sight and if I would see or hear about anyone abusing an animal,I'll certainly take care of it,no matter how big or strong the person is.
I am sure,you want to open our eyes to what goes on and mean well,but you must also have some good news stories,right

I'm with you Chico....booooo to the government for even taking a second to pass a law with harsher punishments....I mean really is there someone opposing it????? Now that guy needs a batting!!!
And ever since I was home sick in highschool for a week and watched that Humane Society Infomercial type thingy....with that horrific racoon trap, and the abused animals....I just can't watch, the nightmares and constent sobbing were just to much. I just decided to do what I can as often as possible and pray for the others every night.
Old August 24th, 2004, 09:47 PM
~Cat Servent~

Quote:
Originally Posted by meggie1425
I agree, no animal should be put through suffering just so we can have those little things that dont benefit anyone else but ourselves Also, alot of people only really think about the dogs and cats, and bigger animals who are tested on, but what about all our other little furry friends (yes, even mice!)? Shouldnt they have some rights too??

Yes, yes they should! I remember when we had a mouse stuck in our air vents once...the hubby wanted to put a nasty trap out...well I nixed that pretty quick! Instead I had him hovering over a vent with a flashlight, a piece of cheese and my kitchen tongs!!! Ok now that is still funny....LMAO.... and darned if he didn't nab the little cutie and we simply relocated him back to the backyard!!!!
Old August 24th, 2004, 10:03 PM
Senior Contributor

Sorry,but there was a story today on the news,an evil man had beaten a little kitten with a hose,then thrown him against a wall,Humane Society had to put down the poor defensless little kitten.
What's going to happen to this disgrace of a human being? Probably nothing The highest verdict is 6 months jail or $2.000 fine.
But he will more than likely get a suspended sentence,what is a little kittens suffering worth? Nothing,in the eyes of the courts
One good thing came out of it,people were protesting outside the courthouse(I believe in Hamilton),demanding Bill C22 is passed to protect our soo very vulnerable animal-friends,but like before it probably will not happen.
OSPCA has been trying for more than 10yrs to get more power in defending animals against cruelty.They need output from concerned people to help them get the new Bill through finally.
Look up the OSPCA and it will tell you what to do to help.