Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old June 27th, 2007, 10:43 PM

Pee, pee, pee & more pee... arrrrrrgh!

I can count on one hand the number of times Tommy's had an accident in the house since we got him at 8 weeks old... and he's almost 10 months now.

Until...

Yesterday he peed on the bed, while we were in the room, he wasn't even sleeping or anything. I thought it might be stress, because we're getting ready to move this weekend and our one bedroom apartment is filled with boxes. Tommy doesn't deal well with changes, stuff where it shouldn't be, etc. So I figures he was upset.

Tonight he peed on the couch. He peed on the kitchen floor. He peed FIVE TIMES in just over two hours! He's also drinking water like crazy, he's not normally a big drinker at all.

We're calling our vet in the morning to get him in, I have a little pill bottle all ready for his sample in the morning, etc etc... but, does this sound like it could really be stress? Or a urinary infection? Could moving cause this?

I know, I'll have the answer in the morning at the vet's... if ours can't fit him in, we'll go elsewhere... but I've got nothing to do until then, so I just wanted to get some opinions (and maybe hear that I'm not stressing him out so much by moving!! The move is for him, after all... he's going to have his own little yard!!).
Old June 27th, 2007, 10:56 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Oooo...once he gets over the hassle and stress of moving, he'll love it! His own yard!!!

Is he still on prednisone or prednisolone? Steroids can cause excessive thirst and mega-pees!

I hope that's all it is! And that the move goes smoothly!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old June 27th, 2007, 11:00 PM

Thanks, Hazel... I know he's going to love it once we're there! He's not on prednisone anymore, not on anything at all (YAY!) and hasn't been for a few months now. He did have a urinary infection when he was just a wee pup though, and he had a bout of crystals when he was really sick a few months back, so I'm wondering if he's just prone to this now. I know he's really stressed with the changes right now, but come on... he's become a little pee machine!!! But hey... on the bright side... it gives me a chance to practice catching pee from a foot-tall boy doggie who doesn't lift his leg .
Old June 28th, 2007, 12:24 AM
-

It could be stress or another UTI and the only way of knowing for sure is by taking a pee sample to the vet. Good luck tomorrow at let us know what the vet says.

Also, good luck with the move and YAY for Tommy getting his own yard.
Old June 28th, 2007, 07:49 AM
Remembering Lukka

Tommy you little dickens you always have to give your mom something to worry about.
Can't wait to hear what the vet says about this.
Once you have your move done with I will finally get to see some pictures of Tommy enjoying his new back yard
Old June 28th, 2007, 03:57 PM

Well, nothing to worry about... Tommy is 100% healthy, just doesn't like moving:sad: . Vet checked EVERYTHING out, and he's just fine. No infection, crystals all gone, not a darn thing wrong with him (for the first time in his life ever!!). So, he's stressed. Poor little guy... we expected a bit of this to happen in the new place, until he settled in, but I just didn't figure it would happen before we went. We'll just have to give him lots of loving and keep soaking up pee spots, LOL. It will alllllllllll be worth it in a few days... poor little guy just doesn't understand that yet.
Old June 28th, 2007, 04:30 PM
Senior Contributor

Aww litle Tommy,I am really glad he is finally 100% healthy,he and you have had a rough road.
I too think this pee-problem is only stressrelated and will end when you are all settled in the new place,cats usually react that way to stress too,even bringing in a new piece of furniture gets them up in arms
Good luck with the move!! Are you still going to live in Burlington?
Old June 28th, 2007, 05:54 PM
-

Glad to hear that Tommy is 100% healthy. Are you moving this weekend? Have you tried giving him Rescue Remedy to help with the stress?
Old June 28th, 2007, 08:35 PM
-

Tommysmom, Bailey peed in the house last time I moved. Everything was ready, we were waiting for the moving truck. He dranked a lot and kept peeing outside + the one inside accident. Good luck with the move.
Old June 28th, 2007, 10:25 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Poor Tommy. s from me and shluppy kisses from the Pack. Don't get too stressed, Tommy...it'll all be worth it in a few short days!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old June 29th, 2007, 05:03 AM

Thanks guys. Good to hear this is not unusual... I think I will pick up some Rescue Remedy today, see if that helps him out over the next little while! He'll love it once we're done, it's not a big yard at all just a little townhouse yard, but it's going to be allllllllllllllllllllllll his! No more leash just to go pee! And we'll still be city neighbours, Chico, lol... we're just moving to the east end of Burlington. The best thing is, it's only about a 5 minute drive from where I work, so I'll still be able to come home at lunch to take him out .

Wait... the best thing reallllllllly is that for the first time in his little life the vet has declared him HEALTHY... I don't think that's sunk in yet! I know he's seemed very good for the last few months but I still remember standing in my vet's office asking him if Tommy will make it... and he looked at me and all he could say is 'I don't know'. And now he's healthy! HEALTHY!
Old June 29th, 2007, 07:04 AM
Senior Contributor

Yay for healthy! Gotta love hearing that. In the meantime, I wonder if something like Comfort Zone would help Tommy feel more relaxed about the move. It's a synthetic pheromone specifically made for dogs in just these kinds of situations. Never tried it myself but I've used the feline version (Feliway) for vet trips.

All the best to you and Tommy and good luck with your move.
Old June 29th, 2007, 11:50 AM
PeachesnSimon'sMamma

Hey Tommysmom, did the vet do an acidity/base test on the urine sample you took in? I went through something similar with my Pointer 2 years ago, his urine was very basic (low pH), very frequent to the point that sometimes he'd just look at me and pee right on the floor in front of me. He really just couldn't hold it for some reason. They had me do a water measurement on him and then take the results back in. Hopefully it is just stress induced pyschogenic polydypsia, which is imminently treatable. Good luck, I'm glad you finally got a clean bill on him, you've had quite a run!

~Those who KNOW better are responsible to TEACH better~

Jenn, Simon and Peaches
12/14/03

Last edited by jawert1; June 29th, 2007 at 11:52 AM.