Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Feeding raw food to dogs & cats - B.A.R.F - RMB - Homecooked diet

Old December 24th, 2008, 01:29 AM

Adding new proteins?

I've been feeding my 4 kitties only raw for about 2 weeks now. (They were on one meal raw, one canned for 2 weeks before that.) I have a few questions, mostly about adding different types of meat.

I know Jitzu has a very sensitive stomach, she always has. But because of it I don't know what else to add. So far they've had chicken thighs mostly, with some turkey, and pork. As far as organs they love hearts, which they've had about twice a week. They've also had liver, not as often though.

I'm nervous about giving them fish because Jitzu's reacted to fish in wet and dry food very poorly before.

I fed them a sample of elk meat, with organs and velvet ground in, and the other three loved it. Torri really liked it, better than anything else. However, Jitzu threw up...after about 1-3 mouthfuls.

I have quail to try, as well as duck. I'm not sure what else I can afford, or get, in my area.

What else could I try, or how else should I be mixing it in?

Also, any tips on getting cheaper meat? I'm kinda digging so far. And I'd rather not buy from Walmart if I don't have to, lol.
Old December 24th, 2008, 07:59 AM

Quote:
What else could I try, or how else should I be mixing it in?

Also, any tips on getting cheaper meat? I'm kinda digging so far. And I'd rather not buy from Walmart if I don't have to, lol.
Here is a list I have found that gives about 40 tips on finding cheap meat
http://rawdiettruth.blogspot.com/sea...20cheap%20meat

Buying in bulk when there are sales on is a big help. That's if you have a freezer. I just bought a small apt. size freezer so I can buy in bulk to help save money. I am spending more than half of what I was spending on my vet recommended commercial pet food. I used to have to buy litter every two weeks for 2 cats. One had diarrhea issues (which since has cleared up on a raw diet). Now I buy every month or so. Not a concern anymore like it was. I save on medications for his diarrhea problem as well.

I see you have fed quite a variety of meats in such a short period of time. Just so you know you really don't have to feed this much variety all the time. Some of the meat can be fed once in a while as a treat. It sounds to me like you are feeding the prey model diet??? Are you also providing bone and organs. Heart is considered a meat and is a very good source of Taurine. Chicken thighs and legs are a very good source of Taurine as well. Skin is a very important part of their diet as well. Also, 5% liver should be provided. As well as kidney, gizzards, etc. Last week I bought some whole chickens from a local farmer. They were about $1.50/lb (a bit more pricey) but well worth it. Much more meat than any store bought meat I have bought. And free range, no hormones or chemicals added.
Old December 24th, 2008, 08:18 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakhi View Post
I'm nervous about giving them fish because Jitzu's reacted to fish in wet and dry food very poorly before.
I wouldn't give your kitties any fish, especially not raw and especially not since Jitzu has had reactions before. Fish is not a natural part of a feline's diet, and it's a common allergen. It can also be a factor in urinary tract problems. Here are more reasons why it's not a good idea: http://catnutrition.wordpress.com/20...ding-for-cats/

Other than that, good job on the raw feeding!!! I hope it continues to go well. I second Khari's suggestion of finding a local farmer (farmer's market?) for a quality source of meat.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old December 24th, 2008, 02:05 PM

I had heard that fish was a good thing to feed once in a while. The oils are supposed to be good for their coat/skin ect. I'm ok just staying away from it though, lol.

As for the organs I'm having a hard time finding most of them around here. I have liver in the freezer, i bought quite a bit when i found it. That's all i've been able to find. No kidneys, gizzards, anything else near here. I even checked a few ethnic markets.

I have been feeding mostly prey model. The elk was ground, but only because it was a sample. I figure if they'll eat whole chunks of meat then why not? Besides, they love it, lol. They get chicken thighs mostly, the pork was thrown in because it was on sale, same with the turkey.

Since two of them are kittens i'm basically feeding as much as they want...hoping it slacks off once they're bigger.

is these any benefit to feeding part ground food???

Sorry for all the questions, i'm new to this, lol.
Old December 24th, 2008, 02:57 PM

Quote:
I had heard that fish was a good thing to feed once in a while. The oils are supposed to be good for their coat/skin ect. I'm ok just staying away from it though, lol.
I too have heard people say fish is okay to feed cats very sparingly (once a week or longer) and some people say stay away from it. I was feeding fresh or canned sardines every other week for a month or so. Have cut back since. But if anyone is worried about Omega's you can add a fish body oil (ie: salmon oil)

Quote:
I have liver in the freezer, i bought quite a bit when i found it. That's all i've been able to find. No kidneys, gizzards, anything else near here. I even checked a few ethnic markets.
Can you find kidney's or hearts from different animals then the chicken. I like to feed all the parts from the same animal but I have been known to throw in what I have on hand - beef kidney, Pork heart, etc. Gizzard is a meat. I find them in the frozen section at superstore. Same with the chicken hearts. They also have beef kidney fresh. Heart is very important for taurine. And liver is very important.

Quote:
I figure if they'll eat whole chunks of meat then why not? Besides, they love it, lol. They get chicken thighs mostly, the pork was thrown in because it was on sale, same with the turkey.
Your cats are doing great with the chunks (you are so lucky). My one cat won't eat her chunks sometime unless it has canned smeared on it. Fussy Fussy Fussy But she is 9 years old....

Quote:
Since two of them are kittens i'm basically feeding as much as they want...hoping it slacks off once they're bigger.
This is great - kittens definately need as much as they want in the early stages. You will have to cut back eventually to 2-3% of their body weight. But for now this is great!

Quote:
is these any benefit to feeding part ground food???
Many people say that feeding chunks to whole prey is the way to go. They say there is more bacteria in ground and your pet does not get the jaw work out that they require. I feed my cats chunked ground as well. My one cat will not eat full chunks all the time yet. I grind the meat myself with the correct bone proportion so it is fresh and then I freeze it. I am working her up to full time chunks or parts I am not forcing anything on my cats because I feel that anything now that I give them is better than the commercial pet food they were getting.

For the one kittie throwing up quite a bit - stick with the meat she doesn't throw up on...she may be allergic or her stomach can't handle much variety. Keep it simple

Last edited by Khari; December 24th, 2008 at 06:04 PM.
Old December 24th, 2008, 03:48 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakhi View Post
Fish oils contain high levels of Omega-3 fatty acids, which can sometimes be beneficial in addressing certain conditions (they're anti-inflammatory, so for instance in cases of arthritis or allergies). For young healthy cats fed a balanced diet, it isn't essential to add extra. Having said that, if you source your meat mostly from the supermarket (which comes from factory farms and is higher in Omega 6, lower in Omega 3, due to a grain rather than grass fed diet), it might be a good idea to get fish body (not liver) or krill oil capsules from a health food store and add a few drops to each meal. This is a better option than feeding fish protein, which is one of the top 3 feline allergens.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler