Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old July 27th, 2012, 09:32 AM

Still no luck. We had tornado warnings and heavy rain all afternoon and evening last nite, so I couldn't look under the deck for the cat. Nobody was out roaming in the storm, either.
Thanks for the suggestion about trapping a skunk! Hopefully that won't happen, but I seem to catch all the wrong critters.
Thanks so much for all your support. I am not going to give up unless and until I know it's too late. I wish I could give all the strays a home.
Old July 31st, 2012, 08:35 AM

The injured kitty was seen on Friday night (July 27) by a neighbor. I was away until last evening, so the trap wasn't set until I got back - nothing. At least he's been seen recently. I'm not giving up.
Old August 8th, 2012, 08:27 AM

I think I saw him last night! I'm not positive it was the right cat, but I'm 90% sure...AND it looked like he only had 3 legs. Again, he was moving too fast and hid before I could confirm, but I didn't see the injured leg that was dangling. It's like a miracle.
Old August 8th, 2012, 08:39 AM

You should look into starting a TNR - trap the cats, have them altered, and then release when they recover. If they are feral they're not happy as housepets, but if they're altered at least they won't be making more ferals. They also have some other trap options, one is a bigger cage that they put the food in, the whole group goes in to eat, and then drop the door and there is a smaller door to transfer them to traps.
Old August 8th, 2012, 10:12 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I hope that was him, dmskraba! And I hope you finally manage to trap him!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old August 8th, 2012, 11:29 AM
Senior Contributor

It sounds like maybe, maybe, somebody else trapped him and had the leg removed during the time he was missing and you were looking for him to do the same thing. I guess it's a possibility. Hopefully that's the case. If you manage to trap him you will be able to confirm that.
Old August 8th, 2012, 07:38 PM

If he was already trapped and released, he might be even more cautious about going into your trap now. Hopefully you will get a good sighting of him and will be able to notice the leg. Do you have binoculars? They might help you get a better close up, maybe while he's eating?
Old August 10th, 2012, 08:50 AM

Thanks for all the comments! It's possible that someone else trapped him and provided medical attention. I hope that's the case!! I can't confirm anything since I haven't seen him since Tuesday, but I'm keeping the trap set and hoping to get him. You're right, though, lindapalm - if he's been trapped once, he's not going to come near another trap. I do have binoculars. I'll have to keep them with me when I'm outside, 'cause when I do see him, it's usually when I don't expect to.
Kilter, the TNR idea is great. I already did that when I trapped the injured cat's sibling. The second cat I caught was one I thought belonged to someone. That's the thing - if I'm not sure it's feral, I don't want to mess with someone's pet. Still...I think all roaming cats should be neutered!
I'll keep you posted when there's news. Thanks again!
Old August 10th, 2012, 10:22 AM
Senior Contributor

Well, gee, if you "accidentally" get somebody else's pet fixed because you catch it in a feral trap, oops! I wouldn't lose sleep over it myself. It the cat looks like a purebred persian or something maybe, but unless you suspect it's a show cat they don't need to breed it anyhow. Just my opinion.... Thanks for caring for these ferals, they need all the help they can get.
Old August 10th, 2012, 11:33 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

If there are any bylaws in your area about roaming animals (including cats) then I don't think if you accidentally fix someone's pet they can complain. They'd need to explain why their cat was roaming in the first place. Plus it would be free vet care for something they should have done long ago. I wouldn't lose sleep over it, either.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old August 14th, 2012, 09:13 AM

I agree with both of you. Haven't caught anything lately, though, and haven't seen the kitty I'm after.
Thanks again!
Old August 22nd, 2012, 10:44 AM

I think I saw "Boots" last night! It was dark when I got home, and he ran under a car, but I think I saw white boots on his feet, and I think he was limping a bit as he ran away. I tried to follow him to see that bad leg, but it was impossible to catch up. If it really was him, at least he's still around!
Old August 22nd, 2012, 10:52 AM
Senior Contributor

Well here's hoping it was Boots and that you'll get a good look at him soon.
Old August 22nd, 2012, 07:30 PM

Wouldn't it be great if it was him and he's slowly improving on his own. You coud still TNR him, but at least he made it, if its him.
Old August 23rd, 2012, 08:44 AM

I do really hope it was him and that he's healing without my intervention. I would dearly love to know what's happened to him. I'll keep you posted. Thanks for caring.
Old August 23rd, 2012, 03:14 PM
Senior Contributor

We do care, but you are the one doing all the work
Old September 4th, 2012, 10:36 AM

Last evening I definitely saw Boots! It was about 6 p.m. and he was slowly limping across the neighbor's yard. I got close enough to see that the injured hind leg was gone from the knee down. It didn't look like a vet intervention, as the stump was kind of rough looking, but he's alive at least. He was very thin. I tried to approach him, but there's construction going on in the yard with lots of debris, and he disappeared before I got close. At least he's still around!
Old September 4th, 2012, 03:39 PM
Senior Contributor

OMG, how sad is that. Poor fella. I hope he is clever enough to let you catch him before winter sets in.
Old September 4th, 2012, 06:28 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

I hope you're able to catch him soon!! Poor kitty! Bless you for caring enough to worry about him.

Is the live trap still out?

Old September 4th, 2012, 10:39 PM

It breaks your heart to think of the pain the poor cat must have gone through, and still is. I just hope you will have luck in geting him, and very soon.
Old September 6th, 2012, 09:17 AM

Yes, my heart aches for the poor kitty. I think the Have-a-Heart trap scared him so much that he isn't going to go back in, so I need to find a different trap (any ideas?) and place it somewhere new.
I'm afraid his disability makes it hard for him to be a good hunter, and his brother seems to be getting most of what I'm leaving out. I'm worriedd about poor little Boots.
Old September 6th, 2012, 08:49 PM

He's going to have a hard time in the snow pretty soon, and he doesn't need any more problems. Do you know where the ferals stay? Hopefully there is a protected area to keep them dry. I'm sure you've tried all kinds of stinky stuff to lure him in the trap, but have you tried covering it with branches or something to camaflodge it? He's got to be really smart to have made it this long, hopefully he'll let his guard down once and you'll be able to snag him. He's a very lucky cat to have you on his side and trying so hard, Thank You.
Old September 7th, 2012, 09:37 AM

You're right, lindapalm, I've tried every stinky thing I know of, and have also tried to camoflage the trap. I'll just keep trying! I do know where the ferals "live" - under the neighbor's deck. But last winter when they were just a couple of months old, I built them a warm kitty house and they did use it. At the very lease, hopefully he will go there again for shelter once I put it back outside. It would make a good trap if I could see inside it! I'll have to think about that!
Old September 20th, 2012, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmskraba View Post
Yes, my heart aches for the poor kitty. I think the Have-a-Heart trap scared him so much that he isn't going to go back in, so I need to find a different trap (any ideas?) and place it somewhere new.
I'm afraid his disability makes it hard for him to be a good hunter, and his brother seems to be getting most of what I'm leaving out. I'm worriedd about poor little Boots.
With weak cats or kittens I have successfully used a simple drop trap.

This is a large "box" (perhaps a large, clear Rubbermaid container), supported on one end by a stick, with a long string going to the concealed "hunter". Pulling the string drops the trap. Of course, this does involve manually triggering the trap on stake-out but it can work.

Then, carefully slide a firm thin board under the box, trapping the cat. Duct tape the board to the box and then have two people carry it off to a place you can transfer him to a transport container.

Of course, if you can lure him into a large warm kitty house as you suggested, that is even better. You need to build it so you can efficiently remove a portion of it, and then snag him.
Old December 5th, 2012, 09:36 AM

The end of the story of Boots

It has been a long time, but two days ago I finally learned what happened to Boots from the neighbor who moved into the house next door, where the construction had been going on. They moved in in October, and during the process, found a very wet and cold Boots hiding in the debris under the deck. He was very weak and thin, with the remainder of his injured leg completely rotted from gangrene. She said it was pitiful. They had to call Security to end his suffering. I knew he had to be gone by now, but it broke my heart. It's devastating.
Meantime, a new stray cat appeared in my yard. At first I thought she was Boots' brother Luna, the white cat, but she was very friendly and came up to me immediately - so it was a NEW (skinny) white cat! She began to visit daily and soon she began to get plumper. At first I thought she was responding to being fed, but no - she was pregnant. Rats! So...I brought her in. On Oct. 9 she had 3 little ones - 2 white and one tortoise. They are now 8 weeks old and 2 will go to their forever homes this weekend. The little white female is tentatlvely placed, and I think I'll keep mom. I had her spayed 2 weeks ago. She is lovely.
So while the tale of Boots didn't end happily, there are new lives that will be taken care of by good people.
Thanks for your support in all this.
Old December 5th, 2012, 09:47 AM

I'm sorry Boots didn't make it, but I'm glad you were both willing and able to take White Cat in. Since that's almost exactly how my cat (and her kitten) ended up living with us, this made me smile.
Sunshine~ Golden retriever X white german sheperd (Dad's dog)~October 24, 2008-
Old December 5th, 2012, 12:16 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

So sorry to hear about Boots You're such an angel for caring so much.

And congrats on the new addition. Good job in getting the kittens placed! Their mom is a very lucky kitty!!

Old December 5th, 2012, 02:48 PM

You are wonderful. I so appreciate the examples you set and your support. Be blessed!
Old December 6th, 2012, 11:21 AM
Senior Contributor

It has brought tears to my eyes that Boots did not make it. RIP sweet Boots know that you had one wonderful human who was pulling for you and many others thinking of you. Dmskrama, bless you for all you did for Boots and now for White Cat and her kittens (we really need a name for her) and hopefully you will stick around and share pics of her as she bonds with you. Bless you for being such a kind soul, the world needs more people like you.
Old December 7th, 2012, 07:37 PM

You have such a good heart. I would think that someone would want to help you out. Is there a place you can call and get some advice on what to do in your area? Maybe someone would be willing to help you out and take on this pet?