Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old March 1st, 2006, 11:43 AM

Himalayans

Hello!!
I am the proud owner of four very different cats. One of them is a Seal Point Himy, her name is Aramis. She will be 8 years old this summer. She has recently had some problems with her eyes being very crusty. (for lack of a better word). I have asked my vet, they tell me that she is fine. She has never had this problem before in her little life.... does anyone know if this is normal for her breed??
Any input is greatly appreciated!
Thank you!
Tammy
Old March 1st, 2006, 11:46 AM

Scottish Folds

Hello!!
I have a five year old Scottish Fold, she is a beautiful cat, she's my baby...
She is for some reason not very close to my husband, almost afraid of him. No matter what we try to get her to even go close to him she still resists. She is very affectionate and playful with me but not him. Does anyone know if this is normal for her breed?
I am open to any suggestions!!
Thanks!
Tammy
Old March 1st, 2006, 12:17 PM

Usually at eight years old if a cats eyes have never teared before I would be a bit concerned if they all of a sudden started.I know with my himmies one always had a bit of tearing,but not major crusting my other two never did.It depends on the individual cat.Anyway if you are still concerned maybe have your vet do a more thorough work up.
Old March 1st, 2006, 07:17 PM

I have a Persian with eye tearing and I have found there are two things about this. Once the eyes start tearing and they are not cleaned, bacteria builds up. This keeps getting worse. If she has brown tear stains then she probably has mild bacteria. It's not a serious thing but just cleaning the eyes doesn't get rid of it. I use a product called Eye Envy on my cat. If you do a web search it will probably come up and you can look for a list of sellers in your area.

The second thing I've learned about eye tearing is it can be related to food allergies. I've read some posts where people had this problem with their dogs and when they changed the diet the tearing stopped. Maybe you've changed your cat's diet lately or perhaps she's developed allergies to certain things in the food.
Old March 1st, 2006, 07:19 PM

By the way, forgot to mention, I just LOVE Himalayans. I had one for 19 years and he was the best cat I ever had. He was such a little darling.
Old March 1st, 2006, 08:04 PM
Senior Contributor

Seal pt Himi's are especially beautful imho!!! You are very lucky indeed! has he not has eye probs before - with tearing,etc? Have you talked yto your vet? Many ppl who show these wonderful cats also have some good remedies but I'd rather wait to see what your vet says before suiggesting anything.,

Good luck!
Old March 14th, 2006, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macha
Hello!!
I have a five year old Scottish Fold, she is a beautiful cat, she's my baby...
She is for some reason not very close to my husband, almost afraid of him. No matter what we try to get her to even go close to him she still resists. She is very affectionate and playful with me but not him. Does anyone know if this is normal for her breed?
I am open to any suggestions!!
Thanks!
Tammy
Hi Macha! I've been living with Scottish Folds for nearly thirteen years, and breeding them for nearly 11. Like all other cats, they're individuals, so one can't really generalise where behaviour is concerned; but I must say I've never come across quite this problem before in a Fold. They are very affectionate, teddy-bearish cats, with the sweetest of natures. Some are more cuddly than others, but, for your girl to avoid your husband, it's my guess that she associates him with some disagreeable experience. Perhaps it's something as simple as a sudden noise frightening her when she was a kitten, and happened to be either on his lap or near him at the time! Perhaps she doesn't like his after-shave? Does he smoke? The trouble with any degree of behavioural difficulty is finding out what exactly the problem is!

Has she got a particular favourite treat? My very first cat, an "ordinary" moggy, (with the most amazing talents), was very stand-offish with my mother when she came to visit, so I suggested she give him his occasional special treat of a couple of prawns. He held out for a while, mindful of his catly dignity, but in the end, the flesh was weak: he forgave her for not being me, and took to allowing her to approach, then stroke him, and eventually they became best friends. It will probably take a lot of patience, but if your husband is willing to "woo" her, she will probably come round to him in time. Scottish Folds are normally the most loving of cats, and ask nothing better than to snuggle up to any being, of any species, who shows them a little affection!
Good luck,
Panda

Old March 15th, 2006, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macha
Hello!!
I am the proud owner of four very different cats. One of them is a Seal Point Himy, her name is Aramis. She will be 8 years old this summer. She has recently had some problems with her eyes being very crusty. (for lack of a better word). I have asked my vet, they tell me that she is fine. She has never had this problem before in her little life.... does anyone know if this is normal for her breed??
Any input is greatly appreciated!
Thank you!
Tammy
Hi I have a himmy who is almost 11 yrs old.Missy gets a little bit of crap in the corners of her eyes but nothing to worry about.Is this what you are talking about?