Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old November 11th, 2011, 06:53 AM

Old Dog Peeing in the House

Over the last 4 months, my 16 year-old, female, poodle-terrier has been peeing in the house. I've been giving her Propalin (hormonal drugs) everyday, but yet for some reason she pees whenever we're not at home because she can't hold it in any longer.

I leave my house in the morning, and she stays home for about 6 hours by herself, and she usually pees right before I get home. I have no idea what I'm supposed to do, and my parents have been waking up in the morning at around 2am just so she won't pee in the night.

My parents want to put her down because she's ruining the hardwood floor and making the house smell, but my dog is just so active. She still runs around like a puppy and she's still able to do things that she could when she was 4 years old. I have no idea as to what I can do, and my parents are thinking about putting her down tomorrow. I would be able to accept it if she was in any sort of pain, but my dog is absolutely healthy if it wasn't for these pee issues.

Are there any suggestions?

P.S. I'd also like to mention that this peeing started after she had a bladder infection.
Old November 11th, 2011, 07:15 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

CHrisKam welcome to the board! What a great age for your dog!

First and foremost I would reccomend a vet visit? or have you been recently to check this problem out? maybe its something as simple as an infection? or maybe her current medications just need some adjusting?

You could also try to limit the water she gets when you know your going to be gone for awhile?

I would ask your parents for the opprtunity to make sure there is nothing medically wrong before she is pts.

Good Luck
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old November 11th, 2011, 10:29 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Definitely at least have a recheck done on her urine, ChrisKam. The meds maybe didn't clear the infection totally.

Something else to consider is the health of her kidneys. If she's having some decline in kidney function, it might also show up as incontinence. A blood test can give the vet some information on organ function.

Meanwhile, is there some way to confine her to a crate or an area with pee pads, safely away from the hardwood floors, when no one is home?

Good luck with your girl. I hope your parents are willing to wait at least till the results come back!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old November 11th, 2011, 12:37 PM

What about diapers?
Old November 15th, 2011, 11:57 PM

pee'all'over problem

ChrisKam, I am new to this site and have the same problem with my 12 y.o. Border Collie. She had two bladder infections recently; after the first one everything was ok; the second one - not so good. She was on antibiotics for 3 weeks but I think that she has never fully recovered and started to pee in the house. She has not done it before. Now few minutes after I leave for work she pees (checked on her 15 min. after I left and she peed) even if I take her for a walk before. I am aware that her UTI might not be gone and this weekend taking her to see vet again. I keep putting shower curtains from DollarStore on the floors, wash them few times and after few days get new one. My only hope is that it is not anything serious; after researching online I fear that unfortunately it can be pretty bad already... .... oh well, she is such a good doggie. I am going to get pee pads and try to take her out more often; also, perhaps another vet visit will solve a problem a bit... will let you know
Old November 16th, 2011, 01:53 AM
Senior Contributor

Something better than pee pads are those big mattress protectors that they use in nursing home. They are large and square and you can wash and dry them. I have 6 of them and they were a little expensive but they have paid for themselves now.

There ain't no cure for stupid ...... but we should make sure we laugh and point it out to everyone else
Old November 16th, 2011, 10:12 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Bitsay, is she squatting to pee, or is it more a leak? If it's a leak, you might want to talk to your vet about spay incontinence, as well. Sometimes spayed fems develop poor bladder control and begin to leak urine. There are meds available to treat it.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old November 17th, 2011, 05:08 PM

Layla is in Heaven :(

Unfortunately today I had to put my Layla down We went to visit yet another vet this time recommended by some good acquaintances. He did examined her, did urine check and told me plain truth - most likely she had tumor/cancer in her bladder (he noticed unusual cells in urine). Also, he unlike other vets told me about all options and possibilities which I greatly appreciated. He said that quality of her life is not going to improve. I asked for antibiotic with the hope that well.... it might help. At home I gave her yet another pill.... she vomited it few minutes after and I know that when it happens it must be bad. After weeks on antibiotics she simply was not going to tolerate yet another one. In the last few days she was peeing all over all the time.... even when she was sleeping... I was taking her outside few times per night. It is not the best thing to euthanise own dog, but.... I had to do it. I gave her little bath..... we went for our last walk.... and now she is in heaven.... like all good doggies .... all dogs go to heaven, right. Yes, I am upset with previous vets for not telling me everything and not giving me all information. Of course I will get another pet and at least I know who to ask for advice and help.
I keep saying to myself all the time..... Layla... you were such a good doggie
Thank you for reading and thank you for your previous responses
Old November 17th, 2011, 05:26 PM
Senior Contributor

I am sorry for your loss.
RIP little one.
Old November 17th, 2011, 06:11 PM
Senior Contributor

Bitsay, I am so sorry for your recent loss, it is very hard to do the right thing sometimes. When it comes to our pets we at least can give them comfort and let them go when they are no longer able to stay in this earthbound body. It has been a very sad time here on pets recently all of our loving furbabies gone to the Rainbow Bridge. patti

Run free Layla.
Old November 17th, 2011, 09:55 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Yes Bitsay your sweet Layla will be greeted by many many from here! We understand your loss greatly.

Layla is running free at the Rainbow Briidge....

http://www.indigo.org/rainbowbridge_ver2.html

Cindy

Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old November 17th, 2011, 10:34 PM

So very sorry for your loss, but you did the right thing in thinking of quality of life for Layla. I had to make the same choice for my Lizzie.

Treat me kindly, my beloved master, for no heart in all the world is more grateful for kindness than the loving heart of me.
Do not break my spirit with a stick, for though I should lick your hand between the blows, your patience and understanding will more quickly teach me the things you would have me do.
Speak to me often, for your voice is the world's sweetest music, as you must know by the fierce wagging of my tail when your footstep falls upon my waiting ear.
When it is cold and wet, please take me inside... for I am now a domesticated animal, no longer used to bitter elements... and I ask no greater glory than the privilege of sitting at your feet beside the hearth... though had you no home, I would rather follow you through ice and snow than rest upon the softest pillow in the warmest home in all the land... for you are my god... and I am your devoted worshiper.
Keep my pan filled with fresh water, for although I should not reproach you were it dry, I cannot tell you when I suffer thirst. Feed me clean food, that I may stay well, to romp and play and do your bidding, to walk by your side, and stand ready, willing and able to protect you with my life, should your life be in danger.

And, beloved master, should I be deprived of my health or sight, do not turn me away from you. Rather hold me gently in your arms as skilled hands grant me the merciful boon of eternal rest...and I will leave you knowing with the last breath I drew, my fate was ever safest in your hands.
--Beth Norman Harris
Old November 18th, 2011, 10:02 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

I'm so sorry for your loss, Bitsay. My thoughts and prayers are with you during this difficult time.

Layla

Old November 18th, 2011, 10:52 AM

thank you

I want to thank you all very much for your kind words and support. Yeah... it is hard on us humans when we have to it to our dogs but we do not want them to suffer. It was tough for me to see her being "embarrassed" after she messed up in the house... she was not able to do anything about it. Now my kids and I have just a great memories of Layla. Soon I will post some great photos of Layla so you will have a chance to see her.
Thank you again!