Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old September 25th, 2004, 07:45 AM

Not Spayed and in heat

Hope someone can help..

My 8 month mixed lab just started her period yesterday. We wanted to get her spayed before it happened but I guess that I'm a little too late So....what I wanted to know is, will it be a problem for us to get her spayed after this ? I read some posts to see if I could find an answer, but nothing So.....

Thanks!
Old September 25th, 2004, 08:38 AM

It's never too late, Layla! You can talk to your vet about the appropriate waiting time (if there is one), and then have her spayed asap afterwards. In the mean time, to cut down on the "mess", you can buy a cheap pack of diapers, cut a hole in a diaper for her tail, and voila - instant doggie-pad. Keep her inside except for potty breaks. When you take her out for potty breaks, keep her on a leash, even in your own yard. You'd be amazed how determined a male can be when he smells a female in heat! Good luck!
Old September 25th, 2004, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by layla
Hope someone can help..

My 8 month mixed lab just started her period yesterday. We wanted to get her spayed before it happened but I guess that I'm a little too late So....what I wanted to know is, will it be a problem for us to get her spayed after this ? I read some posts to see if I could find an answer, but nothing So.....

Thanks!
No it should be no problem at all... actually you can have her done now, while still in heat - the vet may charge a little more - but usually not more than $20 to $50.
Old September 25th, 2004, 09:44 AM
Senior Contributor

You can get a 10 year old dog spayed.

Just make sure she does NOT go outside unattended at all while in heat. Dogs can even mate through a fence.

There is no need to have her spayed while in heat. Heat cycles are about 3 weeks, so make an appointment after that.
Old September 25th, 2004, 11:24 AM

Thanks for your input, it is much appreciated....She's pretty clean though...I've seen a couple of spots of blood and I've put some old fabrics on my sofa. I don't think there will be any need for buying some diapers..

P.S. If she's in heat for approximately 3 weeks, does that mean she will bleed for approximately 3 weeks also?
Old September 25th, 2004, 12:02 PM
Senior Contributor

Been a long time since I had a bitch in heat, but I believe the bleeding is about 1 - 1 1/2 weeks. After that is the "standing heat" when she will accept a male. That is the time to be extra vigilent!
Old September 25th, 2004, 05:26 PM

Thanks again....
Old September 26th, 2004, 12:34 PM
Proud dog mommy!

My dog Beauty is in heat too. She was supposed to be spayed Sept. 20th. I called my vet's office and they told me that they do spay them when they are in heat, but it is a longer, harder surgery. It does cost more, depending on the size of the dog and the extra amount of time it takes. They did reccommend that I wait for 4 - 6 weeks after her cycle. If I did get her done now, she would still finish her cycle, so the male dogs would still come around. We rescheduled her appointment for Nov. 1st. Luckily we haven't seen any male dogs around. We take her out for potty breaks on her leash and I still take her for her daily walk.
Old October 3rd, 2004, 10:19 AM

Well, I made her a makeshift diaper with a pair of old undies that I had and I put a "pad" on...It works ....But she's been whining a lot I guess due to her being in heat...She also peed on my bed last night and that is something that she has never done.....That I can't accept....I don't know what to do...She's had her period for 9 days now....and also her vulva is extremely large and I think she also has a hemoroid (her anus). I don't know...It's one thing after another, I love her to death, but she's already cost me over 800 $ in the past of vet fees. I know that the first year is the most expensive one but still....Help!
Old October 3rd, 2004, 10:29 AM
Senior Contributor

The peeing and whining are no doubt connected to her heat cycle. It's not her fault she is in heat, so you'll just have to put up with it. It sounds like she is entering her standing heat, so the bleeding should stop shortly.

I can only suggest you keep her off the furniture for now.

Spaying is the only solution for all this and the cost of it is one of the downsides to owning a dog, but there is no option.