Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old March 19th, 2009, 05:46 AM

Sick collie/lab cross

Hi there

Just wanted to know if anyone out there knows of anything that I can give my Collie/lab cross. As she is having a hard time breathing. The vet just found that she has a shadowy image on the xrays. Also he couldn't see the heart, or any of the upper organs. But all organs came back ok during the blood work. Right now the vet doesn't know if it is Cancer or just a really bad infections or phemona.
The vet gave her two differnet med to use every 8 hours. Jazz is having a really hard time breathing. I would like to know if there is anything that can be given to her to help her to breath better. As like something like Asthma. My sister has a machine that was used for my niece. Would this be helpful to her. It just about time for me to get off of work and I really want to get home. To be with her.
Is there anything that I can give her like vitimins. I got to be able to help her more then what Im doing. The thing that is killing me is that she doesn't even look sick. Just it is her breathing. She still wants to play, get hyper when I come into the room,. It her breathing and that she won't lay down. As I guess that her chest is hurting her when she lying down. Should I be putting her in a cage to rest or would that be wrong thing. As if it is cancer, Then these would be the last couple of week left. OMG I hope not!!!!!! I really am scared. I hope that the meds help and if just a really BAD infection.
Old March 19th, 2009, 06:47 AM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

Only your vet can give you answers to the questions you're looking for. Never give your pet any human medications or vitamins without consulting with your vet.
Fingers crossed your dog comes through this okay. Please keep us posted.

Cindy
Old March 19th, 2009, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finallyamommy View Post
My sister has a machine that was used for my niece. Would this be helpful to her.
Do you mean a dehumidifier or a humidifier - call the vet & ask if they think this might help since they heard the way Jazz is breathing, they will have a better idea.

for Jazz

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old March 20th, 2009, 12:19 AM

pic of JAzz

Here is Jasmine's pic
Attached Images

Old March 20th, 2009, 12:26 AM

She so purrty

Old March 20th, 2009, 01:56 AM

Thanks, She is a really great dog. she loves ppl and kids..She has her moments with other animals. But most of the time she is really great. She love to go to the dog park and run around.

I think she is doing better. I don't know if it is just happy thoughts. As her breathing is looking better. She isn't panting as mmuch. Please god help her.......She has been only on the meds for 21 hours.

Old March 20th, 2009, 08:26 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Jazz is a beautiful girl, finallyamommy! for continued improvement!!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old March 24th, 2009, 01:14 AM

update on Jazz

Hi everyone

Just wanted to let you guys know that Jazz is doing a little better. But not out of the woods yet.
It seems that she is breathing much better. But now she doesn't want to move, eat or drink.
Now talked to the vet and he stated that at least there is improvement. There could be a side affect of her not wanting to eat. She will not eat dry dog food. She is getting really spoiled. I have cooked up liver, tuna, samon. Anything that I can get her to eat. She can now bend her neck down to eat or drinks. She still doesn't really want to yet but at least she still can move it down.
The only thing that is scaring me now is that she has a very hard time getting up. When she is on slippery floor. It is like she is losing her balance. Like she is on Ice. Once she is on carpet or grass she is fine. The Vet stated that we can wait and finish the meds. and hope that she is getting better.

I have had a very hard and long weekend. As my husband was in the hospital for a lump on his neck now. Nothing like what Jazz had. So he had is cut open and now I have to pack it. Now I need to take care of both of them.......
Things have to get better soon....
I should have stayed being a Personal Support Worker. As Im doing it more now then ever......

both
Old March 25th, 2009, 05:14 PM

HI and welcome!

I hope your Jazz gets better soon......if your Vet hasn't checked for it...ask them to do a test for blastomycosis...it's an infection from a spore that dogs can inhale.

It causes severe breathing problems, lack of appetite, lethargy.... it's not a common problem, but it does exist......I know because my Harley had it in 2007.

Hope things get better soon!!!

Don't let someone become a priority in your life when you are just an option in their life.
Old March 26th, 2009, 06:00 AM

JAzz is getting worse.

Hi there

I will do that today. As I'm taking jazz back to the vets. When I get off of work. As she is breathing much better but now she as a swelling face. she has two lumps on both sides of the mouth, They look like fluid build up./ I don't know what they can do for her. I don't want her to suffer,

I'm sooo scared that they will say that I need to put her down.

Old March 26th, 2009, 06:07 AM

so sorry Jazz my fingers and toes are crossed for you and your hope that she gets out of the woods and it all back to normal!
Chloe 6mth Sable GSD
Sacia 2yo Black GSD
Zorro 6wk Black GSD
Levi 6 month old Ragdoll

Addopted mum to:
Pipa 6 yo Pom,
Sash 5 yo Birman
Old March 27th, 2009, 02:07 AM

Jazz has Canine Lymphoma

Jazz has Canine Lymphoma. Is what the Vet has stated that she has. He would need to do many tests. I don't want to put her thru that.; I can't belive this is happening. I don't know how to deal with this. I can't get over the feeling that there is or was something that I could have done. I know that the other owner of her puppies will be calling and asking questions. I don't know how to answer them. 8 years is just not long enough time with her. I couldn't put her down today. As I had to have more time with her. I don't know what to do with my other dog and animals. Do I take my other dog to the vets as well. To say good bye. He already know something is going on. As everyone that comes over is cryong and very upset.
What do you guys think? What can I do to make this greiving process better for me and everyone?
Old March 27th, 2009, 07:52 AM
Senior Contributor

Grieving is an individual process. The most important thing to know is that it is ok to grieve. Those who don't understand the loss of a pet will not be able to indentify with this emotion. For those of us here that have loved and lost a companion understand and we wish to let you know that when you grieve, we grieve along with you. It is not easy to let go I know.

I personally let myself grieve freely. Eventually I am able celebrate my pets life - and I laugh and smile with very fond memories. You never loose that sadness however but you will reach that point where you just smile.

Peace to you. And again, I am so very sorry. Know that we are hear to listen to you and go through the process.
Old March 27th, 2009, 12:49 PM

JAzz is gone as of 12:45

Thanks for all your support. I can't get over that I can't hold her any more.

I will post pic. Both sad and happy.
Old March 27th, 2009, 02:13 PM
Senior Contributor

I am so very sorry for your loss.

RIP sweet Jazz. Run free and wild.
Old March 29th, 2009, 03:10 AM

sweet Jazz She is playing at the Rainbow Bridge with those who've gone before

Old March 29th, 2009, 10:31 AM

here are some pics

here are some pics
Attached Images

Old March 29th, 2009, 02:05 PM
-

I am so sorry to hear about Jazz.

She was a beautiful girl and will always leave pawprints on your heart.

Sweet Jazz
Old March 29th, 2009, 04:28 PM
Senior Contributor

So sorry to read about Jazz,she was a beautiful girl
How to deal with the loss??
It's not easy,but give yourself all the time in the world,cry when the pain gets too great,but like BenMax says,soon you'll remember only the good times you had with Jazz,all the happy memories.
Lastly,Jazz is in a good place now,no more pain,she was very much loved and she knows it.
sweet Jazz
Old April 13th, 2009, 02:25 AM

update on our family

Well I miss Jazz so much. I didn't think it was ever happen this way. I thought that our Cat fritz would go first. As he is going on 12 years old....

Well Charlie is doing much better. A couple of days after we put Jazz down. I knew that I had the room for Tubby..... He is Jazz and Charlie's pup from there first litter. So I made my hubby bring home tubby. So that he can play with Charlie....

Charlie didn't really remember him but got used to him... Tubby doesn't want to lay down... he is always chewing on Charlie.... Charlie is ok about it for a while then he wants to go and be with me. When I'm sleeping. Tubby doesn't know how to stop and just lay down. He is always on the go... Want to chew on everything. I have got him is own toys, Bones, Sticks. Anything that I wouldn't mind him chewing...

He is getting better and now knows that he isn't aloud to chew on Candace's stuff animals. (Candace is my daughter) Only that ones that I give him. We cage him only when we are sleeping or go out. Sometime if charlie get really mad at Tubby, then I will put him in the cage, just to get him to settle down.

I can't believe that Tubby can chew thru a dog toy in 5 minutes. I got him a Tennis ball on a rope. He had is gone before I could start to play with him with it. He's quick...... charlie never played. I couldn't never get him to want to. He would just drop the toy and rather want to be patted....

He is a really great huger and loves kisses... The bad things is Tubby is all Black and Charlie is White with tan ears.... So when they go out an play in the backyard,... Charlie comes in Black too.... I don;t like it... It took Jazz about 4 years to turn into a great dog.... I didn't think that I would be dealing with Puppies over again.

Now my friend that got one of Jazzand Charlie's puppy from there second litter. Can keep her. Her name is Bella. She looks just like Jazzmin. I can't get over it. I have found great house for all my puppies... I know that I need to keep there guys.
As Tubby was the first pup:: born. Right on my pillow. Then Bella was from the second litter and she looks so much like Jazz. It is like I look right in her eyes and see her mother. I will post some pics of my newest members of our Family. I don't like not having my Jazz but these puphelp me more then any body would know.

Mommy to
Dogs
Deanta R.I.P April 2000 - July 10, 2002
Jazzmin R.I.P May 13, 2002 - March 27, 2009
Charlie D.O.B Aug 2007
Jazz and Charlie Pups
Tubby Feb 21, 2008
Bella September 3, 2008
Catz
fritz feb 1999
Chub chub June 2004
Teddy 2007