Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old December 18th, 2005, 10:38 AM
banned user

Blaze Had A Seizure ( Epilepsy)

4.45 am I woke up to Blaze at the bottem of the bed. I thought having a bad dream.. I only wish.

Blaze was having a seizure and we thought he was going to die or had died at one point, blaze lost control of himself and even his anal glands went too. It started like he was dreaming but would not wake up, there was foam coming from his mouth, his body was curled and hard. His eyes were glossy and wet but he could not hear me talking and could not feel me holding him.

I tried talking to him but there was nothing he was to far gone into this seizure.
As I realized I needed help I yelled for Marty to wake, I went for the phone to call our Vet and Marty from down the hall said BLaze was gone.

I went back to the room, hugged BLaze while I was crying feeling like I was going to faint . I held his head and talked to him... prayer he was still alive, Thank God Blaze came out if it after seemed like forever but was only about 2-3 mintues.

I did get the Vet and yes she to believes it is epilepsy and will be starting with blood work. I am so scared I hope it is something we can control, I wonder if he can ever be left alone as now I'm afraid to leave him alone even to go out for a pee.

I will do whatever it takes but I hope he does not have a seizure often as it's so hard to watch. We were told to let the dog seizure and keep all other animals away from him, not to get close as the animal might bite. ( Blaze bite Marty while in the seizure) never would bite a soul under normal times.

Blaze did not feel anything or remember anything my Vet said but the animal does over heat to the point it can cause alot of damage, we went outside to cool him down OMG I was so scared.

Blaze is my pride and joy! If anyone knows any information that would help or if you ever had a dog like this please let me know. Anything I can learn is best and even though I will not be ready for the next seizure maybe I will handle it better.

Thank you for any information you can offer.
Lorie, Blaze & Family

This is a picture of Blaze today, my perfect man!
Attached Images

Last edited by goldenblaze; December 18th, 2005 at 11:03 AM.
Old December 18th, 2005, 11:31 AM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

Oh dear, to you and Blaze. Epilepsy is definitely a very scary experience and one that completely takes you off guard during an episode. You will find that with each seizure that you will become more comfortable with it. Medications can reduce the number of seizures but take time to get the right dosage of. During these times, softly talking to Blaze and gently stroking him will reduce the stress level. Making sure he is in a safe spot or making the spot he is in safe is also very important as you witnessed they have no control during this time and may easily take a tumble down a set of stairs. I dealt for a few years with a friend's dog who had epilepsy and would go over everytime he had one so that I was able to help as they made her very nervous. I hope that Blaze's are very few and far between.
Old December 18th, 2005, 12:45 PM

wow! that is so scary. i dont know what i would do if something like that happened to me. i cant imagine! my sister's dog has seizers (sp?) but they arent as bad as the one you described blaze having. her dog is on finalbarb (sp?). she still has some seizers but not as many. i hope blaze gets better. hugs for you and blaze!
heather
Old December 18th, 2005, 02:22 PM
Senior Contributor

I am so sorry that you and Blaze had to go through this. I have no advise to offer but I am sure many folks here do. I hope you vet can get this under control with meds and you won't ever have to see your baby go through that again.
Old December 18th, 2005, 05:29 PM
Senior Contributor

Goldenblaze,I am so sorry for you and beautiful Blaze.
I have no experience with an epileptic animal,but my middle son is epileptic..
I am certain meds will help Blaze,it will take some time to find the right kind and dosage,but I am sure he will be ok.
There is usually a bit of a warning,like stary-eyed and you might have time to put him in a soft spot,so he won't hurt himself,now that you know..
Also,just because he had one seizure,does not neccessarily mean he is going to have another or that he is epileptic,but your vet will find out..there are a few other reasons for seizures,like a high fever.
Good Luck to you and Blaze:love:
Old December 19th, 2005, 02:46 PM
Senior member - formerly goldengirl

Goldenblaze, I have sent you some emails re: epilepsy in dogs and the email address of an experience epi dog mom, she will be happy to help you through this.

So sorry this has happened to Blaze (and you)

Thoughts and prayers are with you
Old December 19th, 2005, 03:23 PM
Senior Contributor

Joey had a few seizures. One was quite typical--flopping like a fish out of water. This was shortly after he was given a tranquilizer (horrible ordeal with an ulcerated cornea, the vet thought he needed it for a procedure) and the vet said that was the culprit. Then about 10 and 11 months later he had two more but these were quite different. He lay on the floor making a piteous howl with his body curled back but not really conscious. Then when we picked him up he lost control of his bladder. At this point it could not be blamed on tranquilizers as I refused to allow him to ever have another after the first incident. At that point we were going to have blood work done but he developed his other problems with his spine and did not live long enough to have that done.:sad: I'm not saying that to scare you as Joey's secondary seizures don't sound anything like what your dog had. His were quite short besides.

But my nephews dog had the type that you're describing. It lasted several minutes and was very scary. They took him straight to the emergency hospital. He spent two nights there. He's been on medication since and I don't believe he's had other seizures. They weren't to leave him alone for a few weeks after beginning the meds. And they monitor his bloodwork monthly. Initially his personality was a little less easygoing but I think that might have been the adjustment to the medications and the whole ordeal in general.

But take heart because Aslan is doing quite well now with the meds. It can be well controlled.

Good luck to you !
Old December 19th, 2005, 04:15 PM
Proud pittie mama

that you have to see this happen to your dog. I have no experience with dogs and seizures but have lots experience with people and seizures. (paramedic) The seizure you're describing sounds very typical and they are very scary. Many people belive that during a seizure people are able to hear and feel others touch them. This can calm and lessen stress somewhat easing the episode. This is really all you can do during the seizure other than keep them in a safe area where they can't hit objects or fall. When the seizure is over there is a post-ictal phase, where people don't act their normal selves. They may seem confused, lethargic and may even become aggresive. At this time remain calm and allow them to walk around or move as needed but still keep them safe. Motor functions and brain functions are slow and they may not really realise what they are doing of where they are going. Don't be afraid of incontince, this is normal. I hope this helps as I know it can be a very scary thing. I think you handled things very well. Good job and good luck.
Old December 19th, 2005, 05:27 PM
banned user

Thank you for all the information!

sudmedic I'm not sure if I handled things very well cause I was in shock, I was not even sure what I woke up to. But thanks for saying so

I have read alot and learned some great info from people, alot of dogs out there that do have seizures over their life time.

Blaze has been ok since his first seizure, now we wait and see if there is a next one. If so we are meeting our Vet at her office ( 10 minutes from me) for bloodwork right then.

She believes the bloodwork should be done within 12 hrs of seizure, if they continue meds will be given to we hope stop them before coming now we wait.

Whatever it takes, were here for the long haul Blaze and I:love:

So again thanks so much, I will keep an update.
Old December 19th, 2005, 07:27 PM
Senior Contributor

goldenblaze,

I am sorry Blaze had a seizure, I do know how scary that is. Rudy, now 10, has been having them since age 1. His come from time to time and aren't nearly as bad as what you described. The vet said he did have epilepsy and offered phenobarbytol (sp?). But I chose not to go that route since he may go for 2 or three months without having a seizure, but then rarely may have two small ones in a day. He gets over them really quickly, back to himself within 5-10 minutes most times, so I just hold him. He has learned what is coming, and usually makes it over to me or roomie for comfort. Laney the other dog, also "tells" us at times....it is uncanny how she knows.

The first one way back 9 years ago, he was scared to death and so was I, I thought he was choking. He was flailing around the room, trying to run from whatever had hold of him. Since then, we both learned to settle down and just ride them out. Not that I am not scared, usually I cry as I hold him. I sit behind him on the floor and hold tightly onto him and talk to him until it is over. I am always concerned one might be worse and he may bite without knowing so I keep my hands away from his mouth.

I hope for the best for you and Blaze. Get meds if they happen a lot or are really bad.

Take care,
Diane
Old December 19th, 2005, 09:26 PM
Owned by goldens

Blaze

I am sorry you had to experience this. It must have been so frightening. My mother had a poodle that had seizures, hers were caused by a form of diabetes. My friends lab had a seizure once and has never had it again. Hopefully it will be the same for Blaze.
Unfortunately epilepsy is quite common in goldens. If you go the canadian goldens web site there is information in the archives on this subject. The address is www.canadiangoldens.com
Old December 20th, 2005, 01:21 AM

Poor Blaze! Poor you, too! He's lucky he has a mom who's a light enough sleeper to have woken up to see it and lucky he has a mom who will get him the care he needs.
Old December 21st, 2005, 03:01 PM
banned user

Hi,
Another night passes and Blaze has not had another seizure,
Thank God!

I'm still learning didn't realize how common this is in many breds, no matter what is ahead I will get through it. I really don't have a choice plus this just makes Blaze even most special:love:

Thank for all the advice, many of you have been through the same thing. I knew no one so I felt scared and not sure where to go.

I will keep you updated, happy holidays
Old December 22nd, 2005, 06:03 PM

Merry Christmas

So glad to hear that.....Merry Christmas and a Seizure-Free New Year to You and Marty and Your Precious Babies....

Amy
Old December 22nd, 2005, 07:29 PM
banned user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amelia365
So glad to hear that.....Merry Christmas and a Seizure-Free New Year to You and Marty and Your Precious Babies....

Amy
Thank You so much for all your help and information, you have helped me more than you could ever know . I am looking forward to a new year with only good thing to come, Happy Hoildays to you, have a great New Year!
Old December 26th, 2005, 02:07 AM
Senior Contributor

My Den-Den3 had seizures from time to time, starting when he was about 2 years old. They were milder than what you described. He seemed to be aware, just not able to control his own movements. I found that the seizures were milder when I would act very matter-of-fact and reassuring. The first few were the worst, probably because of fear and panic on my part. When they became routine, we were both better. I used to walk around with him in my arms and talk to him and point out things for him to look at. "Where's the kitty?" kind of questions would make him move his eyes around, so I know he was aware. It is frightening. When he would start to come out of it, he would really drool excessively. I kept a supply of small white towels handy to put over my arm as I carried him. What seemed to trigger the seizures was any kind of excitement or anxiety. As he got older, the seizures seemed to become milder and less frequent. He lived to be 18yo.
Old December 26th, 2005, 02:16 AM

Lori, I haven't been on in a long time, but I just read this post. I am SO SORRY!! I can't imagine how scary that must have been!! I pray Blaze pulls through this and it is controllable. Big hugs to you and your family, and huge hugs to brave little Blaze.
Old March 17th, 2006, 04:32 PM

mygoldengirl also had a seizure for the first time

I'm happy to hear Blaze is doing well! My golden Molly had a seizure for the first time last week. I was not home to witness it, but my boyfriend was. I'm thankful I did not see it as I don't think I could have survived seeing my girl like that. Since then, we think she has had a partial seizure. Her vet wants to wait 1 month before starting her on medication. She is 5 years old (so the older end of when seizures typically affect goldens). How old is Blaze? Have you've noticed any side affects since his seizure? I don't know if I'm just over thinking everything Molly does now, but she seems to be salivating much more and breathing heavier. I'm just curious if anyone knows if these are normal side affects?
Old March 17th, 2006, 05:00 PM

Pets who are deficient in taurine or magnesium are prone to having seizures. Dr. Beverly Cappell-King, DVM says she puts all dogs with seizures on magnesium and says she sees a decrease in their intensity and frequency.MSM(Methylsulfonylmethane) and Rescue Remedy have also been used successfully for epilepsy/ seizures. MSM permanently stopped seizures within a week for a dog who was having 30-40 a day . Seizures have also been linked to liver disease, hyperthyroidism, and certain cleaning products or new fibres such as those found in some furniture. Hypoglycemia( low blood sugar) has also been mistaken for a seizure. Phenobarbitol tends to suppress the symptoms. It may help to try and find the underlying cause.