Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > In the News - Pet related articles and stories in the press > Newspaper Articles of Interest (animal/pet related) from Around the World

Old September 22nd, 2005, 09:27 AM
Senior Contributor

A rather gloomy NY Times article on NO pets

Don't read this article in the New York Times today if you don't want to get depressed about the fate of the remaining pets left in New Orleans . . . . also a photo gallery.

Reality.

You may have to register to read this or use bugmenot.com:

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/09/22/na...22dogs.html?hp

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca
Old September 22nd, 2005, 10:17 AM
Senior member - formerly Lezzerpezzer

oh dear.....

that is a gloomy tale....isn't there a way to gather them up? Entice them with food? Are they all too far gone? Where is all the donated dog chow that went down to that area? At one point, I heard there is no need to donate more food as they have an abundance, but I guess that is only for the pets in care and captured. Why not take some of this dog chow and put it out on the streets for the dogs to eat? Have feeding areas around the cities affected and bring in the dogs to be captured? I'm sure that something can be done before folks just end up shooting them all
Old September 23rd, 2005, 09:02 AM
Senior Contributor

Unfortunately, some of the dogs have become very afraid of people. I was reading an article about a dog growling and raising his hackles at a soldier, and when the soldier didn't run, but tried pushing food to him, he ran away. It is very sad. In some cases, it wasn't the owner's fault, as there are stories of pets being taken out of people's arms as they tried to board a bus, but in other cases, it's disgusting. There were pictures of dogs chained to the front porch, while the water was still rising. There was another story that I will spare you that was just heart-breaking. I also saw a picture of a soldier rescuing a pittie where his waste was half the size of his rib-cage (and the vicious dog was wagging his tail). But what really upset me? That was only a week after the hurricane. It seems, in this case, the hurricane was the best thing that could have happened to that pooch, considering that it would take a lot longer than a week to have happened.
Old September 23rd, 2005, 03:22 PM
owned by Tucker

My heart is heavy for these poor animals, I wish I could go there and save them all.
Old September 23rd, 2005, 03:31 PM
Senior Contributor

Rick,I did not read the article,it just bothers me too much.But I have seen some very heartwrenching,horrific pics before.
I hope this will never,ever happen again,the worsed case of animal-abuse ever,in my view.
I know many people died and many were starving on rooftops,but as human beings,should we not also leave some of that compassion for these animals doomed to die a horrible death,just thinking about it makes me ill.
I've learned one thing,where I go my animals go,I am responsible for their lives and I would NEVER abandon them
Old September 23rd, 2005, 03:39 PM
Senior Contributor

Cant read it either that is to depressing