Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > In the News - Pet related articles and stories in the press > Newspaper Articles of Interest (animal/pet related) from Around the World

Old January 10th, 2010, 09:05 PM

Cat in tree, firefighters stumped

A cat that's been up in a tree in Waverley, N.S., just outside Halifax, since Friday morning has rejected three attempts by firefighters to rescue him, only climbing higher.

The year-old black feline named Shady only climbed higher - about 18 metres up as of Sunday, according to owner Tina Ashley.

"It's upsetting, it's very upsetting, but you know our hands are tied," said Ashley, who tried putting food partway up the 20-metre-high tree in her neighbour's backyard and even attempted to remove Shady with a pole.

"We've tried whatever we know to get him down, and the fire department has tried and it's just nothing that we've tried is working ?but I just don't think he's going to make it through another night."

The temperature dropped to about ?8 C in parts of mainland Nova Scotia Saturday night.

As each night approaches, Ashley's granddaughter Olivia gets more worried, listening to Shady's cries.

"I think he might stay up there for like a long, long time and never come down, or he might die up there, or something like that, or I don't know if he's going to come down or not," the young girl said.

Still, Kristin Williams, executive director of the Nova Scotia SPCA, doesn't think there's any cause for concern.

She has never heard of case where a cat died because of being stuck in a tree, she said.

"It's quite likely that the cat is actually coming down when there is nobody around to actually see this happening.

"It's very typical because cats are nocturnal by nature, to be very active at night and during the day to rest and relax. So where we are more apt to wonder what they're up to, we're of course doing that during daylight hours and the cat's activity is much more reserved for night."

Shady may choose to stay in the tree during the daytime for quite a while before coming down for good, Williams said.

Ashley, who is sick with worry, hopes it's sooner rather than later.

"We don't really sleep. Like, I mean, you're awake and somebody's always wandering out underneath the tree, seeing if he's still alive," she said. "That's the hard part of it. You know he wants down, but your hands are tied. Like, how do you get to him?"

The SPCA doesn't respond to cats in trees. Halifax animal control is not mandated to deal with cats, let alone cats in trees. And the fire department is not required to, either, since it's not considered an emergency.

Nevertheless, fire crews have visited the house with a ladder three times, twice on Saturday and again on Sunday, trying to coax the cat from his perch.

Coun. Barry Dalrymple thinks he has an idea. He stopped by Ashley's home on Sunday and pledged to have the fire department bring a bucket truck with a longer ladder on Monday, she said.

Meanwhile, someone offered Ashley this advice: "Well they also said bacon, if you fry up a pan of bacon ... so yeah, we'll try that for tomorrow morning and see if that works.

"Hopefully he'll be down by then, but who knows?"

that this kitty comes down
Patches - Diluted Torti 2007-2022
Old January 11th, 2010, 07:48 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I hope they get the kitty down

I had a cat who was stuck up a tree for days too. I had a friend who was a lineman who ended up bring the line truck that had a bucket to get her down. She was also black.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old January 11th, 2010, 10:37 PM

Cat ends high-profile sojourn in tree

A cat that had been up in a tree since Friday morning in Waverley, N.S., spurning repeated rescue attempts by firefighters, has climbed down on its own and scampered away.

Late Monday afternoon, the year-old black feline named Shady jumped to the snow below the tree and ran off into the bushes, leaving owner Tina Ashley to hunt for her pet in nearby woods.

Shady rejected three rescue attempts by firefighters and only climbed higher - about 18 metres up as of Sunday, according to Ashley.

Ashley tried tempting Shady to come down by putting food partway up the 20-metre-high tree in her neighbour's backyard and even attempted to remove the cat with a pole. But nothing worked and Shady spent most of his time yowling from on high.

"We've tried whatever we know to get him down, and the fire department has tried and it's just nothing that we've tried is working - but I just don't think he's going to make it through another night," she said.

The temperature dropped to about ?8 C in parts of mainland Nova Scotia Saturday night.

As each night approached, Ashley's granddaughter Olivia became more worried, listening to Shady's cries.

"I think he might stay up there for like a long, long time and never come down, or he might die up there, or something like that, or I don't know if he's going to come down or not," the young girl said.

Still, Kristin Williams, executive director of the Nova Scotia SPCA, didn't think there was any cause for concern. She has never heard of a case where a cat died because of being stuck in a tree, she said.

"It's quite likely that the cat is actually coming down when there is nobody around to actually see this happening," Williams predicted on Sunday, adding that Shady might remain in the tree for some time before descending.

'Very typical'

"It's very typical because cats are nocturnal by nature, to be very active at night and during the day to rest and relax. So where we are more apt to wonder what they're up to, we're of course doing that during daylight hours and the cat's activity is much more reserved for night."

The SPCA doesn't respond to cats in trees. Halifax animal control is not mandated to deal with cats, let alone cats in trees. And the fire department is not required to, either, since it's not considered an emergency.

Nevertheless, fire crews visited the house with a ladder three times, twice on Saturday and again on Sunday, trying in vain to coax the cat from his perch.

Ashley, meanwhile, said her family's life was disrupted.

"We don't really sleep," she said. "Like, I mean, you're awake and somebody's always wandering out underneath the tree, seeing if he's still alive."
Patches - Diluted Torti 2007-2022
Old January 11th, 2010, 10:45 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Ohh Shady, I think you need to find an indoor only home. I hope he is found safely.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old January 11th, 2010, 10:50 PM

The kitty will come down ......

....... if everyone would just stay the heck away from the tree!
Old January 11th, 2010, 11:01 PM
Senior Contributor

I have yet to see a dead cat in a tree...
Old January 14th, 2010, 09:28 AM
Senior Contributor

I always had cats up in trees. Fire department would not come out. So I would call Humane Wildlife Control. Have had cats up in trees, 50-60 feet up and they would get them down.

ACO22