Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Introduce yourself here - Say hello

Old October 14th, 2006, 10:20 PM

Newbie Hav owner

Hello everyone!

Just came across this forum so signed up in hopes of learning and exchanging ideas and experiences.

I'm Marj, a SAHM of 3 (16, 15 and 11) from Montreal, QC and besides our 2 cats, Shadow and Gigi, we are now proud owners of Ricky, our little Havanese. He is now 3 mths. old and a real joy!

It's a lot of work, but I know that in the end our patience and efforts will pay off and allow us to enjoy a long, wonderful life with our new family member.

I hope to get to know some of you and will continue browsing your forum in the coming days as it's now my bedtime. Thank you!
Old October 14th, 2006, 10:36 PM
-

Hi and welcome to the forum, Marj. We would love to see pics of Ricky, Shadow and Gigi. Please post when you get up tomorrow.
Old October 14th, 2006, 11:24 PM

Welcome to the board. I agree. First thing in the morning, you need to post some pics. (Ok, maybe "need" is a strong word... umm.. how about want? )
Old October 15th, 2006, 08:00 AM

Ah... pet owners after my own heart. I love sharing pics!!

Now..... where do I do this exactly? Is there a gallery somewhere?
Oh... o.k., I think I've got it. Trying to attach them here.

The one of Ricky in the leaves shows some of the colors in his hair. He looks black in photos, but in reality, there are strands of silver/gray, browns, caramels and beiges. Should be interesting to see the changes occuring over the next many months.

marj
Attached Images

Last edited by marjrc; October 15th, 2006 at 08:05 AM.
Old October 15th, 2006, 08:04 AM

And two more......

These two were when Ricky was 10 weeks. He's 13 wks. now.
Attached Images

Old October 15th, 2006, 08:26 AM
Senior Contributor

He's the cutest! Welcome to the board.

Meowy Meowers - Angus n' Finn - 5 yrs old
Barky Barker - Skylar - 4 yrs old??
Old October 15th, 2006, 08:26 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

What a cute little guy!! He looks like he could have a touch of mischief-maker in him, though. (Course, don't they all at that age? ) Love his fuzzies!
Old October 15th, 2006, 08:38 AM
Slave to the Wigglebum

He is adorable. Welcome to the board!
Old October 15th, 2006, 09:16 AM
Senior Contributor

He's SOOOOO cute!!! He must melt your heart a lot.
Old October 15th, 2006, 09:30 AM

Yes, cute as a button is our Rickybaby. That doesn't mean we let him get away with "murder" though! We try .....

It's a big challenge house-breaking him, but all the observation of his body language, constantly looking at the clock and noting when he slept/played/ate/drank, dropping whatever we are doing - no matter what! - to take him outdoors, carry him down the deck stairs and onto the grass, all that and more... well, it will surely pay off in the long-run with a well-behaved and trained dog.

At least, that's what I tell myself every day, every hour... LOL

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!
Old October 15th, 2006, 11:26 AM

welcome. the pup is so cute.

my sister picked up her havenese last month from a breeder near quebec city. was wondering if it is the same breeder. she has heard from other owners that it can take awhile for them to be fully housebroken so hang in there.
Old October 15th, 2006, 11:36 AM
Senior Contributor

My Eskimo has a Havanese friend - they are co-conspirators when it comes to paper shredding - neck in neck - not a tissue survives! Very cute to watch. And as you probably are already too aware they like to have their human Moms with them at all times. Eskies are the same. Same with Bolognese. Like your pup's colouring - wish Eskies came in "natural" black instead of "do it yourself by jumping into every mud puddle".
Old October 15th, 2006, 06:31 PM
-

Aww, such an adorable puppy. The one in the leaves certainly does bring out his colouring.
Old October 15th, 2006, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by free
welcome. the pup is so cute.

my sister picked up her havenese last month from a breeder near quebec city. was wondering if it is the same breeder. she has heard from other owners that it can take awhile for them to be fully housebroken so hang in there.
Well, there is only one Havanese breeder in Qc, as far as I know... in Quebec city. There were two litters and most went early to mid-Sept. Must be the same place! I wonder... too cool.

Your sister doesn't happen to live close to Ottawa, does she? I correspond with another Hav owner from the same breeder. She got a female and we really enjoy exchanging information.
Old October 15th, 2006, 09:58 PM

Yes, Snow Dancer, I've heard about the infamous paper-shredding they do, but so far we've been able to avoid that! I said 'so far'...... LOL. Should be interesting!
Old October 15th, 2006, 09:59 PM

Very, very cute! Love the mischief in his eyes...
Old October 15th, 2006, 10:09 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Yes, I'm new. Yes, I'm a little dense.

Short hijack here:
Been trying to puzzle out for a day what the SAHM in your original post means, marjrc?

And when you use the quotes thingie, can anyone tell me how you get the original author in the box?

Please, I need enlightenment!
End hijack...

Quote:
in reality, there are strands of silver/gray, browns, caramels and beiges. Should be interesting to see the changes occuring over the next many months.
So does that mean that Ricky will be changing color as he gets older?
Old October 16th, 2006, 06:55 AM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

SAHM = Stay at home mom
Old October 16th, 2006, 07:03 AM

BMDLuver has it right. SAHM , means I'm a stay-at-home mom. Of course my kids are older now, 16, 15 and 11, but I have health issues that make it a challenge to get a full-time job outside the home.

Now with pupster here, THAT's my job! LOL

I see you've figured out the 'quote thingy'. Yup, you just click on the 'quote' box at each post that you want to refer to.
Old October 16th, 2006, 08:42 AM

i'll ask my sister if she knows where the other pup went. i know the breeder was domlina
Old October 16th, 2006, 08:46 AM
Senior Contributor

Hello and Welcome.
I just looked at the pictures and wanted to say that your pup is very cute!!!
Old October 16th, 2006, 09:05 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

SAHM = Stay at home mom Got it!

What's funny about that is that I also am a SAHM (but only for canine kids)-- and never made the connection... I told you--dense...

I got the quote to work, but it still didn't include who originally posted the quoted stuff... I'm clicking the quotey thing at the wrong time, I guess!

But marjrc--you never said if Ricky will change color? What color do Havanese usually end up?
Old October 16th, 2006, 11:22 AM
Senior Contributor

marjrc - Yep, just give your pup a little more time and I expect paper shredding will become his major activity. Toilet paper rolls are so much fun - just follow the paper trail. What I really hate is having to pull used paper products from my guy's mouth while walking him. And he is so fast and can spot one from a great distance. I have taken to carrying a rubber glove for this purpose.
Old April 10th, 2008, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by free View Post
i'll ask my sister if she knows where the other pup went. i know the breeder was domlina
I'm sooo sorry I haven't been back to this thread to comment! I didn't realize I wasn't getting any email notifications, so I fixed that problem.

I got MY first Havanese, Ricky, from Domlina too!!! How neat is that? You will have to give me more details. What area does your sis live in and when exactly did she get her pup? Who are her parents?

Ricky's are Diva at Domlina and Chocolate Fondue from Los Campaneros.

To answer about the color question. Havanese do tend to change color as they get older. I don't mean, when they are 8 or 10 years old. I mean that even in months, as of a very young age, you can see color changes. This site is one of the best, if not THE best, at showing and explaining what I mean: http://www.mts.net/~mckay55/colours12.html These show some 'before' and 'after' photos that are pretty striking.
Old April 10th, 2008, 09:49 PM

Yes, we've added another Havanese to our family. We couldn't get enough of just one, so we got Sammy from a friend in Ontario who had him flown in from Hungary. We got Sammy at 7 1/2 months when Ricky was 8 months, so they are very close and after a week or two of adjustment for little Sammy, they became best buddies. We are constantly entertained by their antics and they allow me to do other things. lol

Sammy is 9 lbs., black and white and Ricky is all black at 16 lbs. I'll post pics......
Old April 10th, 2008, 10:09 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

That color change site is amazing. I was able to download a few of the pics and the difference between the pup and adult coats is quite striking!

So you've caught multiple havanese syndrome, eh? Sort of like potato chips...you can't have just one? (I'm giggling because when you first arrived, I had 6 setters...we're up to 8 now. In our case it's multiple setter syndrome, or MSS )

Your two boys sound like real characters! Can't wait to see the pics!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old April 11th, 2008, 08:03 AM

Yup, it wasn't long before I realized it would be great to have two Havs. It took me almost 2 years to convince hubby to get a dog, another month to get a Havanse, and then about 5 minutes to get another Havanese. LOL

8 Setters? Oh my. That IS a large pack!

Here are some pics of my boys..... Sammy, our little guy, isn't quite standard, being a bit too long and short and he doesn't have the typical double coat. There are a few things "off", but he more than makes up for it in Hav character and play. lol Ricky is a bit on the bigger side of the standard, but he's not overweight, just built solid. Wish I could say that about myself......
Attached Images

Old April 11th, 2008, 08:06 AM

Whoa! Those pics are huge! They are small in file size, but anyone know why they appear so big in the post?

Here are a couple more....
Attached Images

Old April 11th, 2008, 08:11 AM
Senior Contributor

Marj,LOVE the big pics,so don't worry