Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > In the News - Pet related articles and stories in the press > Newspaper Articles of Interest (animal/pet related) from Around the World

Old February 19th, 2011, 03:16 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
I can understand that,I just hope they are safe and happy
They are all so beautiful,especially the big tabby,I would give anything to have been able to take him

Poor Raccoonjust wait until the Coyotes start bothering people because of this evil creature,too bad she cannot be charge with anything..
Yes, but you know they will probably blame it one the cats because they were the food attraction for the coyotes

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old February 19th, 2011, 04:47 PM
Senior Contributor

L4,you are more than likely right and this evil woman,will get away with nothing
Old February 20th, 2011, 07:10 PM
-

I read on the FB site that there are only 3 cats remaining to be trapped at the Bluffs........I'm happy and sad at the same time

These days are gone.

Name:  Sbluffs 1.jpg
Views: 332
Size:  50.3 KB
Name:  Sbluffs 2.jpg
Views: 338
Size:  79.3 KB
Name:  Sbluffs 3.jpg
Views: 327
Size:  38.8 KB

Now the task of placing them in permanent homes begins.
Old February 20th, 2011, 07:32 PM
-

Those are such beautiful photos.

I hope they get the last three trapped quickly and that they are able to find loving forever homes for them all.
Old February 20th, 2011, 07:35 PM
Senior Contributor

That is so sad. They are probably wondering where all the rest of their family went.

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old February 21st, 2011, 09:11 AM
Senior Contributor

Those pics are incredibly beautiful,very sad though

I was reading in the Star this morning,that there are about 8 cats left and that the cats in foster are very unhappy,not eating or drinking

All most of the cats know is their life at the Bluffs,a life in their colony,I honestly wish they could be brought back,but somehow be made safe from the Coyotes...
The whole things is just so maddening and sad,I this woman(heartless creature)will have her own encounter with a hungry Coyote...
Old February 21st, 2011, 09:17 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra_Queen View Post
That is so sad. They are probably wondering where all the rest of their family went.
I am thinking the same thing. I don't care what anybody says, cats become very attached to each other and they do mourn when one goes missing.

But I guess for the good of each individual kitty, this needs to be done.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old February 21st, 2011, 09:20 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

What marvelous pictures.
I too would wonder moving the cats from the only home they've known. It's a big adjustment. I'm sure after a while they would settle and become a part of a family. But - right now I am sure they are to a point being treated like novelties. Being shown off to a large amount of people. They may not even be seeing their "normal" people. Cats, as we all know, are creatures of habit. They hate having their routine changed. Their living situation may not have been ideal but to them it was home. I am with chico. I wish they could build a sanctaury somewhat like the one on Parliament. But that loser would find a way to wreck it too.
Right now they need calm and a chance to adjust. JMO

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old February 21st, 2011, 01:27 PM
-

Her is the article from the Toronto Star....in it the writer states that as of Friday there were 8 cats remaining at the Bluffs.....yesterday on the FB site it said that there are now only 3. Poor guys must be wondering where their buddies are

http://www.thestar.com/news/article/...ers-feral-cats

This is Cheshire.....he was trapped this past weekend and he will be neutered today. They say on the FB site that he is not agressive, just that he has no desire to have human contact, hopefully he will come around. He sure is handsome

Name:  Cheshire 2.jpg
Views: 319
Size:  73.9 KB
Name:  Cheshire 3.jpg
Views: 314
Size:  121.1 KB
Old February 21st, 2011, 05:21 PM
Senior Contributor

Aww Chris,looking at him gets my heart beating faster,I love him and so wish I could have him.
A perfect beautiful Tabby-Boy,I hope he will be ok
If they don't get used to a home,then what? Will they be put down??
Old February 22nd, 2011, 08:11 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Aww Chris,looking at him gets my heart beating faster,I love him and so wish I could have him.
A perfect beautiful Tabby-Boy,I hope he will be ok
If they don't get used to a home,then what? Will they be put down??
awwwww, chico, then you need to go visit him. Vinnie would have a playmate and because he was in a cat colony, he would be able to read Chico's "get away from me" body language and will obey so as to not cause a disturbance

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old February 22nd, 2011, 05:01 PM
Senior Contributor

L4,I wish I could,but no more cats for us....Cheshire is so very beautiful,I wonder what will happen to him
Old February 22nd, 2011, 05:04 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
L4,I wish I could,but no more cats for us....Cheshire is so very beautiful,I wonder what will happen to him
That's what I said when I lost Snowball , but I got three more

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old February 22nd, 2011, 05:35 PM
Senior Contributor

L4,were I only 10yrs younger,maybe even only 5....
It's not because of Rocky,I feel I would honor his memory was I to help another cat,but I have to try to help in other ways..
Old February 22nd, 2011, 06:59 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh Chesire is gorgeous!! I hope he finds a loving home and he will be able to adjust.

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old February 22nd, 2011, 07:02 PM
-

Quote:
L4,were I only 10yrs younger,maybe even only 5....
It's not because of Rocky,I feel I would honor his memory was I to help another cat,but I have to try to help in other ways..
Chico, Cheshire is 8 - 9 years old, you'll outlive him .....just look at those eyes:

Name:  Cheshire's eyes.jpg
Views: 526
Size:  111.9 KB

They say on the site that there was a lot of Coyote activity last night
Old February 22nd, 2011, 08:24 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris21711 View Post
Chico, Cheshire is 8 - 9 years old, you'll outlive him .....just look at those eyes:

Attachment 72344

Just a thought and it may sound weird or too late but if anyone had access to unwashed llama wool or alpaca wool that might deter the coyotes if left around the perimeter...... I may be way off base but I use dog fur around my gardens to ward off the deer... and llamas or alpacas are natural dangers to coyotes
Old February 23rd, 2011, 07:46 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMDLuver View Post
Just a thought and it may sound weird or too late but if anyone had access to unwashed llama wool or alpaca wool that might deter the coyotes if left around the perimeter...... I may be way off base but I use dog fur around my gardens to ward off the deer... and llamas or alpacas are natural dangers to coyotes
I did not know that BMDLuver. I was thinking the other day about wolf pee...but where would one get that???
Great suggestion!
Old February 23rd, 2011, 08:04 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris21711 View Post
And 3 cats is really no more work than 2 , I look into those eyes and see "chico, what a dream it would be to live the rest of my life in your home "

Attachment 72344

NOOOOOOO . Hopefully no kitties were gotten

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old February 23rd, 2011, 08:38 AM
Senior Contributor

There is a really cat-hating nasty column in todays Star,written by Heather Mallick,blaming the"gnarling"feral cats for the Coyotes,when in reality it was a 2-legged moron who lured them there in the first place....
As usual,I don't know how to transfer it to Pets
Old February 23rd, 2011, 08:42 AM
Senior Contributor

Chris,as much as I would love to try to give Cheshire a home,we just cannot handle it,he is one of the most beautiful cats I have ever seen,right next to Jasper.
Chico and hubby would move out
That's a great pic,there must be some very talented photographers in the rescue-group.
Old February 23rd, 2011, 08:54 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Chris,as much as I would love to try to give Cheshire a home,we just cannot handle it,he is one of the most beautiful cats I have ever seen,right next to Jasper.
Chico and hubby would move out
That's a great pic,there must be some very talented photographers in the rescue-group.
That's what DH said when I told him I was adopting Sweet Pea , but he didn't leave , so then comes along Rose , he said it again and he is still here . Of course he didn't say that when he met Jasper, cause he fell in love with that kitty when he first met him . (he's the one that brought him home from Cornwall SPCA).

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old February 23rd, 2011, 08:56 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

http://www.thestar.com/opinion/edito...ousy-roommates

Mallick: Feral cats make lousy roommates
Published On Wed Feb 23 2011EmailPrint (1)
Rss
Article
Comments (1)

By Heather Mallick
Star Columnist
The shaggy coyotes eating the snarling feral cats at Bluffers Park in Scarborough would look at you with bewilderment if you told them they were embodying the neuroses of the cat-crazy humans fighting over them.

Who am I kidding? Of course they wouldn’t. Coyotes don’t look at anyone except to assess their taste and chewiness. The stringy cat lovers shouting at them to leave kitty alone don’t interest them, but our children certainly do, those tiny soft-fleshed two-legged comestibles, yelp, yum. Coyotes attack humans. Coyotes in cities should be exported or given the quiet death by needle that Americans favour for their Death Row citizens. They shouldn’t be in Toronto at all.

Neither should feral cats, which eat songbirds and yowl for a living. These are wild cats, not mild cats, who don’t like living at home being pestered for love by the people you’ll meet on a Facebook site called Scarborough Bluffs Feral Cats. They patrol the cat colony through the coldest of nights, fending off coyotes with “sticks, whistles and flashlights” (the Star’s reporting on this little battlefield has been stellar) while radiating love at frankly hostile wildcats and bringing them little Styrofoam seats.

Nice people named Betty are determined to extract affection from loner felines to whom they have given sexy masculine names like Reberg, Zidane and Cheshire, “the Brad Pitt of cats!!!!” Exclamation marks dot the page, always a bad sign, and there’s a lot of “I LOOOVE Chubba Wubba!!!”

Zidane sneers. He is just not into humans.

A 2009 documentary called Cat Ladies: When cats mean “meow” to you than people, tried to explain the emotional propulsion. Cat rescuers (in fairness, not necessarily the Bluffers) take in cats “later in life, often after a failed marriage, the loss of a job, death of a relative, or the estrangement of children.” I get this. We all need love. When humans fail us, cat rescue makes sense.

But not these cats.

The Bluffers have created a hierarchy of worth, a Rock Paper Scissors game minus the keen intellectual combat: Cat beats people beats coyotes. The problem is that the creatures that matter most — human children — don’t rate. In 2009, when coyotes killed a small dog in the Beach, frantic parents were berated for letting their toddlers play outdoors, and the wily coyote mysteriously managed to elude capture. Sanity died in the face of a hierarchy created by coyote people.

The question of hierarchy arose in a parallel universe Tuesday when some Halton parents complained that the public school board was “assessing” students unfairly for classes, meaning that gifted kids were being tested ahead of special-needs kids. The board, with a limited budget and a small staff, sighed and explained that all testing was moving at the usual rate.

It’s faster and cheaper to assess gifted kids. You test them. Smart is smart, smarter is gifted. Get it done and place the kids in the right classes.

But special-needs kids are not a unit. It takes time and money to assess and place them. Still parents reacted angrily, calling it a “two-tiered system” and coming close to using the dread word “elitism.”

The poisonous need for hierarchy has popped up again, like a buboe. No one’s saying gifted kids are better than special-needs kids. But they need different things.

Equally, no one should say feral cats are better than coyotes. But the cat people are saying that, deaf to reason and to the argument that neither animal mixes well with humans.

Something human there is that loves a hierarchy, even when there isn’t one. It is born of the insecurity that lurks in everyone — I always imagine it as a small bean-shaped gland producing hurt feelings — and it makes people lash out. Today, the gifted kids are braced for extra bullying, and coyotes are prowling the Bluffs with their noses out of joint.

See, I’m anthropomorphizing again. Coyotes are prowling the Bluff sniffing for human child meat. They’re coyotes, not itsy-bitsy little wildcats.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old February 23rd, 2011, 09:01 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

What a biotch . She is now trying to make people think with the removal of the cats, the coyotes will now come after their children.

Why are these people allowed to write in newspapers? They affect stupid human's opinions that are not based on facts

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old February 23rd, 2011, 09:04 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

OMG if people start thinking that ferals should not be rescued (and I agree some do not make good house pets), but what about my sweet Rose , it has taken a long time, but she has turned into a lap cat, who just purrs and purrs and purrs .

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old February 23rd, 2011, 09:08 AM
Senior Contributor

After reading it again,I am not sure what she is trying to say and what the gifted versus less gifted kids in Halton(Oakville)has to do with cats/coyotes

L4,good try...LOL
Old February 23rd, 2011, 09:15 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMDLuver View Post
Good idea. You could go on their FB page and suggest it. They check that page all the time.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old February 23rd, 2011, 09:30 AM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
What a biotch . She is now trying to make people think with the removal of the cats, the coyotes will now come after their children.

Why are these people allowed to write in newspapers? They affect stupid human's opinions that are not based on facts

If you go to the FB page and discussion there is a person there named Laura who is making waves as well. She is saying they are wild cats and do not need to be moved. No arguing with her. Some people just don't get it. Actually, a lot of people just don't get it.

Old February 23rd, 2011, 09:34 AM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
OMG if people start thinking that ferals should not be rescued (and I agree some do not make good house pets), but what about my sweet Rose , it has taken a long time, but she has turned into a lap cat, who just purrs and purrs and purrs .
"My" ferals will allow me about a foot or two away now before they take off. These are the ones I have t/n/r and they then climbed the fence into the sanctuary. Slowly they are coming around. It's the same with the Bluffs cats. They have had human intervention now for 15 years. Of course there are some that will be leery. There are also a lot that are total lovebugs. I wish people would remember it is not the cats' fault they are there. The fault lies with the irresponsible owners who couldn't be bothered to s/n or look after their pets so they dumped them. Easy to forget when the situation has been going on for so long.

Old February 23rd, 2011, 11:15 PM
150% PRO S/N

Sounds like they trapped three more today!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Scarbo...60977317274323

We spent a couple of hours finding Reberg. We searched EVERYWHERE! He had somehow managed to crawl down into the bottom of a chair. I'm sure he would have stayed there and died. The three of them are in cages now.