Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > In the News - Pet related articles and stories in the press > Newspaper Articles of Interest (animal/pet related) from Around the World

Old February 16th, 2011, 12:39 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Looks like things are looking up. There is a lot more interest now. Some rescue(s) are offering help. I emailed some info to them as well. The volunteers are still out there every night. The only good thing about that is that it isn't going to be freezing cold for the next couple of nights. Not that warm either.
Let's all keep and say some extra prayers the rest of the cats can find foster or permanent homes quickly.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old February 16th, 2011, 08:06 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
Looks like things are looking up. There is a lot more interest now. Some rescue(s) are offering help. I emailed some info to them as well. The volunteers are still out there every night. The only good thing about that is that it isn't going to be freezing cold for the next couple of nights. Not that warm either.
Let's all keep and say some extra prayers the rest of the cats can find foster or permanent homes quickly.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old February 16th, 2011, 09:50 AM
Senior Contributor
Space Invaders Champion, Smack the Rabbit Champion

That is great news 14+

Owned by

Bree 12 year old GSD
Keesha 8 year old GSD
Cyrus 7 year old GSD

RIP: All my angels.
Old February 16th, 2011, 10:56 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Now what sick SOB decided to make comments like that about me on FB? This ticks me off big time!!

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!

Last edited by 14+kitties; February 16th, 2011 at 11:57 AM.
Old February 16th, 2011, 11:08 AM
Senior Contributor

14+,more and more people will take an interest in these kitties
Old February 16th, 2011, 11:54 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
Now what sick SOAB decided to make comments like that about me on FB? This ticks me off big time!!
what comments.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old February 16th, 2011, 12:01 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
what comments.
I pm'd you. Quite obviously someone who has no idea what I am about, knows nothing about what I do in a day, or nothing about these cats that I "collect". If this sick person thinks it's easy to try to find homes for cats that are feral, semi feral, sprayers, etc. I sincerely would like their help. Don't forget these homes need to be homes that will not declaw or let the cat roam free to be killed by cars. But thanks for defaming my name. I will be looking into it with my lawyer.
Now - this is about cats that are in peril .

Last edited by 14+kitties; February 16th, 2011 at 12:35 PM.
Old February 16th, 2011, 01:42 PM
Senior Contributor

14 need some help? I am pretty good backup ....

There ain't no cure for stupid ...... but we should make sure we laugh and point it out to everyone else
Old February 16th, 2011, 02:56 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

I kind of gave up on this thread because of the bickering... can you tell me is there a list of the cats still needing assistance?
Old February 16th, 2011, 04:27 PM
Senior Contributor

Hi

I'm don't post usually in these kinds of threads, not because I don't care, but because I don't know exactly what to say. I know what I'm feeling but can't put it down in words how deeply I feel things. Especially when people get upset. But I'm going to do it on this thread.

This is my opinion so please bear with me. 14+ please excuse me, i'm going to sort of say what "I think" u are feeling too. It really bothers me when people get upset with each other and get their feelings hurt etc.

We all love animals right? Dogs/Cats/ whatever. When animals are hurting and being mistreated we all get very upset and when this happens we maybe read things into posts and take the statements the wrong way, which the OP didn't even mean.

Like 14+ said if these had been dogs they would have been rounded up. It is the simple truth. Dogs are pack animals and when they form a pack they can be very dangerous to the public that is one reason I would think the city would pick them up. People do have a tendacy to think of cats as hunters, that they can feed themselves, not realizing how many mice a day they have to catch to survive.

14+ is a very passionate person and has a very soft spot for cats as most of us know. So she hurts very deeply when she sees cats being treated badly and in harms way so that is why she keeps bringing up the subject. And I don't see what is wrong with that. We all know she loves dogs.

She is just telling us how she feels, how she hurts for those cats. We should feel priviledged that she shares her feelings from deep in her very soul on this forum!

I have never met her in person, but I feel that I know her just how she writes when she is talking about her cats and her dogs. She is making herself vulnerable by expressing her feelings openly on this forum. She's not saying dogs don't deserve help and attention, she's just saying in other words, that it breaks her heart that she can't help these cats and she is frustrated because she can't and people are doing bad things to get the cats killed by the coyotes.

We all care about the animals and just because 14+ said that it wouldn't happen if the cats were dogs,,,does not mean she doesn't love dogs! She is just saying her opinion, not saying anything against dogs.

I hope this isn't taken the wrong way. I hope u can understand what I'm trying to say, though I have a hard time expressing what I'm feeling. I just don't like it when people don't get along.

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old February 16th, 2011, 06:26 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

You said it very well, TQ.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old February 16th, 2011, 09:36 PM
Senior Contributor

thanks L4H I tried. I was typing very carefully to try and get my thoughts out right.

I have been thinking about these poor cats and where they could go. I remember reading a story about feral cats in my CAt Fancy mag and spent the last while trying to find the right issue of the mag. I found it, thank goodness for being a pack rat! *S*

Anyways, it's in the July 2010 issue, and I tried to type in the basic points of the story called "Will work for food" pg. 43. iN 1999, VOICE FOR THE ANIMALS FOUNDATION....in Venice CA realized that cats control the rodent population and protect humans from disease. So they went to work finding areas that needed rodant control it could provide that area with feral cats and save their lives. Their first project was the Flower Market in Venice where they offered the cats to help take care of the rodent population at the market....it worked!

Lots of people that worked at the market didn't like cats until the day until the cat that the VFTA had put in there chased a big rat down the middle lane of the flower market. People were impressed!

They say that they don't like to use ferals from colonies but from shelters, but maybe the cats from the bluffs could be found places for them to work to control rodents maybe in 2's so they'd have company.

Anyways, the VFTA take the cat to the new location and put them in a large holding cage for a month so they get use to the smells, sounds and sights of the area. This way when they are released they will view the new area as their territory and stay there. VFTA does not charge for the cats, they only require that the organization sign an agreement that they will feed the cats for life.

Another place that are using the feral cats are at the LA Police Departments. Rats were eating the police files so they got VFTA to bring in the cats to different police departments.

The cats have also been put in other places too. I found their website if u wanted to read the whole article. If u go to http://www.vftafoundation.org/workingcats.htm

you can read more about it.

I thought maybe someone in Toronto could look into doing something like this with the cats at the bluff.

Post approved by Admins

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)

Last edited by marko; February 17th, 2011 at 11:43 AM.
Old February 16th, 2011, 09:52 PM
Senior Contributor

yes 14 has a big heart....

There ain't no cure for stupid ...... but we should make sure we laugh and point it out to everyone else
Old February 17th, 2011, 09:46 AM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaykeija View Post
14 need some help? I am pretty good backup ....
Thanks Shay. I appreciate your support. As I said, we are working on tracking down the person. Getting much closer to finding out who. Then my lawyer will be in contact. Defamation is no laughing matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMDLuver View Post
can you tell me is there a list of the cats still needing assistance?
They are not releasing the numbers still needing homes as they do not want to give the people doing these horrific things any ammo. However, there is an email where you can contact them. Chris listed it earlier in the thread.

Old February 17th, 2011, 09:50 AM
150% PRO S/N

Tundra Queen - Thank you my friend. I appreciate those wonderful words.
Unfortunately I think that is half the problem. Words are taken and skewed to mean what people want them to mean no matter what the original intent was. I love dogs as much as I do cats. I don't know why anyone would even question that. I have said before - there are many more advocates for dogs than there are for cats. Therefore I chose to root for the "underdog".

Now please - can we get back to the Scarborough Cats? They are the ones in need.

Old February 17th, 2011, 12:12 PM
-

This is going to be helpful to the volunteers, it will alleviate some of their expenses. THS is offering assistance to them......please read.

http://www.torontohumanesociety.com/...b11_2011_1.htm
Old February 17th, 2011, 12:23 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I hope they won't euthanize them . I wish I could take one of them , but Rosebud gets the next available spot.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old February 17th, 2011, 01:01 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris21711 View Post
This is going to be helpful to the volunteers, it will alleviate some of their expenses. THS is offering assistance to them......please read.

http://www.torontohumanesociety.com/...b11_2011_1.htm
It's amazing that they step in now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
I hope they won't euthanize them . I wish I could take one of them , but Rosebud gets the next available spot.
Me too but I am full. Can't do it. I am hoping there are enough people in the city of TO that will step up to help these cats.

Old February 17th, 2011, 02:34 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

I kind of gave up on this thread because of the bickering

I have removed my bickering comments BMD so hopefully it wont turn others away from this thread.
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old February 17th, 2011, 03:34 PM
Pro Poop Scooper!

I read that article, it's really quite a thing they're doing with the feral kitties. A lot of them don't want to have too much contact with humans so they give them to farms, seems like a lot of horse people appreciate having them in their barns. I guess some of the kitties have gone to some pretty posh horse farms and are living the good life I've been to a few really posh horse farms and wow! Cobblestones, chandeliers, not a speck of dirt or a fly anywhere!! There are some pretty nice horse farms just north of TO, maybe some on those places can be contacted to place the kitties.
Old February 17th, 2011, 04:04 PM
Senior Contributor

Pattymac, those are EP taylor farms, I worked on them for one summer, leather couches in the barns *L* man those kitties will have the life of riley there!!!
Old February 17th, 2011, 05:43 PM
Senior Contributor

The only problem,IMO,with moving them to a farm,after they have spent a long time where they are now,they might run away and then what...
but I suppose if there is no other solution..

I wonder how feral they are,maybe not feral at all,just frightened??
I understood,they were already spayed/neutered and vetted by the volunteers,or did I understand wrong??
If it was not for the Coyotes and that evil person,I think the cats should be left where they are,as long as people care for them and feed them,the THS could help with that.
Summer will eventually be here and they will be ok...except for Coyotes

If some of the cats are highly adoptable,I agree,they should go to homes,but otherwise maybe the THS could help put some fencing around them so they would be safe.
Old February 17th, 2011, 06:57 PM
Pro Poop Scooper!

I don't know if they'd run away!! Kitties are pretty smart, they know when they have it good! A warm place to sleep, food, some lovin' and mice and other critters to chase! Noella hasn't tried to go anywhere!!
Old February 18th, 2011, 05:35 PM
Senior Contributor

pattymac,I remember a while back some strays were taken to a farm,a member here had been feeding them,but was moving.
It too was a nice farm,but one of the female cats took off in to the woods and was never seen again
Old February 18th, 2011, 07:22 PM
150% PRO S/N

Sounds like most of if not all of the cats have been removed.
Quote from their FB page.
It was a sad day today for me at Bluffer's! for the 1st time in many years of visiting there was a not cat to be seen, only the abandoned colony. A number of people stopped by while I was there, with the same disappointed at not even a glimse of the little beauties.

I truly hope that is so. The vindictive person or couple who was/is still destroying the cat shelters that were there for the cats' protection needs to have karma find her/them.

Old February 18th, 2011, 07:29 PM
-

That's how I understood it 14k when I read it earlier.....from what I read on FB the main person doing the baiting is a woman who leaves the area in April
Old February 18th, 2011, 07:52 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris21711 View Post
That's how I understood it 14k when I read it earlier.....from what I read on FB the main person doing the baiting is a woman who leaves the area in April
Pins in doll for her....
Old February 19th, 2011, 10:17 AM
Senior Contributor

Does anyone know where they were taken to???
I hope they were not just scared away
Old February 19th, 2011, 12:02 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
Does anyone know where they were taken to???
I hope they were not just scared away
I don't think they will tell anyone where any of the cats are. They are wanting to keep them safe from harm.
Karma - it's a biatch. I hope it comes down hard on that woman. They found a bloody raccoons head left where they used to feed the cats yesterday.

Old February 19th, 2011, 12:28 PM
Senior Contributor

I can understand that,I just hope they are safe and happy
They are all so beautiful,especially the big tabby,I would give anything to have been able to take him

Poor Raccoonjust wait until the Coyotes start bothering people because of this evil creature,too bad she cannot be charge with anything..