Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > In the News - Pet related articles and stories in the press > Newspaper Articles of Interest (animal/pet related) from Around the World

Old January 21st, 2007, 09:05 PM
Senior Contributor

spca monteregie

Wouldn't it be super if any of these dogs had been reported stolen and could be identified by their prev. owners with micro-chip or tottoo? There is such a rash of stolen dogs in Ont. & Que. that I think she and her accomplise should be interrogated and the investigation handled by the harshest, most interrogative possible criminal investigators. Were any of these dogs to be found stolen from Ont. or another province then this would become a federal issue. If this is the case then this is just the tip of the iceburg and she is involved in a large scale theft ring and knows all kinds of pertinent info. that would assist in shutting these operations down and maybe retrieving some stolen pets or atleast providing closure to grieving owners. Is there a petition circulating concerning this case? If this scumbags were prosecuted to the fullest extent and be made an example of, it would put a dent in animal cruelty and assist in the passing of Canada's cruelty bill.
Old January 21st, 2007, 09:07 PM

Good point, eh? I hope they're getting scanned for microchips...
Old January 21st, 2007, 09:09 PM
Owned by goldens

Spca

Does anyone have the links to the interview with this woman in either of the French newspapers if they exist? I looked and all I could find were the articles on the raid itself. I want to read her sob story.
Old January 21st, 2007, 09:18 PM

K9Friend posted the video of them in here on page 2 I think...
Old January 21st, 2007, 09:23 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by coppperbelle View Post
I want to read her sob story.
You might want to get yourself a drink or a valium first.
Old January 22nd, 2007, 05:36 AM

The owner of this puppy mill most probably will get a slap on the wrist and pay fines of $400-500...sad, isn't it??

Does anyone know what happened to the owner that had those terriers in such bad shape in Blainville over a year ago? I know he went to court in April 2006. Again, we NEVER hear the outcome to these trials. :sad:
Old January 22nd, 2007, 06:35 AM
Owned by goldens

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9Friend View Post
The owner of this puppy mill most probably will get a slap on the wrist and pay fines of $400-500...sad, isn't it??

Does anyone know what happened to the owner that had those terriers in such bad shape in Blainville over a year ago? I know he went to court in April 2006. Again, we NEVER hear the outcome to these trials. :sad:
He got a slap on the wrist. It was on the news. I think he surrendered all of his dogs. If not all, most of them anyways.
Old January 22nd, 2007, 06:57 AM
Owned by goldens

SPCA Monteregie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
You might want to get yourself a drink or a valium first.
I just listened to the interviews. There ain't enough valium in this world. Don't we all feel so sorry for her?

What frigtens me is that she talks well. All she needs is a sympathetic judge and she gets these poor dogs back. Hopefully the judge will be a woman.
Old January 22nd, 2007, 08:36 AM
Senior Contributor

I found the English version in the Montreal Gazette,but it too only talks about the initial raid.
However,from your comments I think I get what this "mom"is all about
The stolen dogs theory is good,I hope they look in to that
We get furious and disgusted by every puppy-mill raided at least once a year,but still it continues,over and over again
The money this woman and others make,over a couple of years of torturing dogs,is well worth the risk of having to pay a $500 fine and by the time it goes to court,most people will have forgotten....:sad:
Still,I am very happy these dogs are safe,hopefully from now on and we will not forget.
Old January 22nd, 2007, 08:56 AM
Owned by goldens

Spca

For those who do not understand French, she basically is saying she is a victim here. Yes, she is negligent in cleaning out the stalls properly but the dogs had enough food and water for two days. She said she visited every second day to make sure. Oddly no one had been there in the 5 days before the raid.
The lady is also afraid of losing her children because of all this. She says the media is lying and that the dogs did have food and water and a heater. The dog with Demodex was being treated. I wonder how if she only went there every other day.
She is wearing a beautiful white coat in the interview, says she never hid from the police like is reported in the media, although I never heard that. She has been doing this for 3 years apparently. The dogs only had one litter per year etc... She had all the right answers.
She also said that dogs that had passed the age of breeding were euthanised becasue they were not use to living in homes although at one point I think she said the dogs lived with her in her home. These animals are no more than material objects to her even though she says they are her babies.
I wonder if she claimed all her income with Revenue Canada and Quebec.
Old January 22nd, 2007, 09:14 AM
Senior Contributor

Thank's CB!
If she has the "no use to her anymore"dogs euthanized,I am assuming a vet is also involved in killing puppy-mill dogs,or maybe she has someone else kill them
Maybe if SPCA dug up her rented property they would find plenty of evidence
Old January 22nd, 2007, 09:42 AM
An Honest Contributor
Fishing the Sea Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, KickUps Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Aski Champion, Ping Champion

Quote:
she basically is saying she is a victim here.
Yes, she is negligent in cleaning out the stalls properly but the dogs had enough food and water for two days. She said she visited every second day to make sure.
She says the media is lying and that the dogs did have food and water and a heater.
The dog with Demodex was being treated. I wonder how if she only went there every other day
She has been doing this for 3 years apparently. The dogs only had one litter per year

She also said that dogs that had passed the age of breeding were euthanised becasue they were not use to living in homes although at one point I think she said the dogs lived with her in her home.

I wonder if she claimed all her income with Revenue Canada and Quebec.
These are some questions that should be asked to the people who are responsible in protecting the laws in our country. CKitten that said it best in another post related to this topic. People change laws If there is no public outcry this case like all the other animals cases will just dissappear and it'll be back to business as usual.

Vet records, heating records, puppy mill registry, bill of sales can all be obtained by the authorities. How about her other breeding facility in St. Catherine (South Shore) Is anyone looking into those animals? Where are the puppies from the recent litters? Did she take them knowing they will die in the -30C barn and is weaning them herself - naturally she must protect her "profit", hell her kids will starve! Get a warrant to seize her house to vet check those puppies. Those are just few questions I had and I with the publics help, she doesn't just get them back

Roussillon Intermunicipal Police (450)638-0911 police@policeroussillon.ca

Reporter Journal de Montreal: mbisaillon@journalmtl.com

Reporter TVA: pascale.dery@tva.ca < -- interviewed the suspect on tv

Mr. Louis McCann Executive Director (Pet Industry Joint Advisory Coucil) info@pijac.org PIJAC's Mission PIJAC, whose mission is to ensure the availability of companion animals to sustain the entire pet industry, focuses on education, information and governmental issues (in this case selling of puppies) involving pet stores, companion animal supply and restrictions or obstacles to pet ownership.

AnimaQuebec: Attn: Joan Clark: nicole.blouin@animaquebec.com Whose mission is: Neglected animals - zero tolerance http://www.animaquebec.com/index.php...id=19&Itemid=6

She had all the right answers. < -- that she did not!
Old January 22nd, 2007, 09:52 AM
An Honest Contributor
Fishing the Sea Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, KickUps Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Aski Champion, Ping Champion

I hope someone somewhere splatters her face all over the internet. Maybe innocent owners who have bought puppies from her and have a story to tell like how much it has cost them in vet bills, one can only hope
Old January 22nd, 2007, 11:32 AM
Senior Contributor

all of it makes me sick to my stomach...ALL OF IT

Deep thought, by Jack Handey : "I think my new thing will be to try to be a real happy guy. I'll just walk around being real happy until some jerk says something stupid to me."
Old January 22nd, 2007, 04:48 PM
Senior Contributor

GG,this whole dirty business makes me so sad,sad for the dogs,never taken for a walk,never having slept on someones couch,never laid out in the sunshine,only to be killed after she/he is not producing:sad:
This monster might be well spoken,dress nicely etc...but I sincerely hope,everyone involved will make sure she is not getting those dogs back.
It would be the worst travesty
Is keeping dogs in pens,in filthy conditions,for the sole purpose of producing not against the law

I know on the OSPCA's website,they are asking that if we know of any such happenings to report it,is it not the same in Quebec??
Old January 23rd, 2007, 09:11 AM
An Honest Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
I know on the OSPCA's website,they are asking that if we know of any such happenings to report it,is it not the same in Quebec??
It's sickening isn't it! Listening to this woman talk you'd almost think she really doesn't see anything wrong with all of this. Guess this is the "norm" - at least how it's always been. But according to our own Criminal Code it's an offence - enough is enough and people should have to respect the law but the people in power have to enforce it as well so their just as guilty IMO
Causing unnecessary suffering
446. (1) Every one commits an offence who
(a) wilfully causes or, being the owner, wilfully permits to be caused unnecessary pain, suffering or injury to an animal or a bird;
(b) by wilful neglect causes damage or injury to animals or birds while they are being driven or conveyed;
(c) being the owner or the person having the custody or control of a domestic animal or a bird or an animal or a bird wild by nature that is in captivity, abandons it in distress or wilfully neglects or fails to provide suitable and adequate food, water, shelter and care for it;

I wonder how these dogs are doing? Does anyone have an update? We know at least their now in good hands, let's pray they stay that way
Old January 23rd, 2007, 12:16 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Girls View Post
I wonder how these dogs are doing? Does anyone have an update? We know at least their now in good hands, let's pray they stay that way
I was wondering the same thing. I don't want to call the spca because I know they are very busy and I'm suppose to wait for them to call me. Maybe Poodletalk has an update ?
Old January 23rd, 2007, 12:45 PM
-

Thanks Poodletalk, I'm so afraid the vets would find something bad (health wise) with the dogs and we wouldn't be able to foster them :sad: I can't wait to have one as a foster and to show him/her the comfort of a home,of a fluffy doggy bed,love from a human...
Old January 23rd, 2007, 07:31 PM
boubou

Dr. Leger (our shelter vet) is back tomorrow to check on the dogs, including Jersey and Zena who are doing great! Most of the dogs have checked positive for worms including hookworm, which is very serious - it can really do alot of damage and make a dog feel awful.

The huskies are having a hard time adjusting to being indoors and in an enclosure. Some of them have to be handfed, but apparently he was feeding them raw food (perhaps that was what the rabbits were for.....).

All the dogs are very sweet and have not shown any signs of aggression.

I'll have more news for you tomorrow evening about the dogs condition once the vet has seen them. I also suspect some of them will be leaving for their foster homes after a thorough vet check - don't worry Frenchy, you'll have your foster soon enough!!!
Old January 23rd, 2007, 08:23 PM
-

Thank you so much Boubou ! Those poor huskies :sad:
Old January 24th, 2007, 07:56 AM
Senior Contributor

Thank's for the update,hopefully they'll all check out ok!
I know it's said Huskys love to live outside,but feeding them live bunnies(probably former pets!)seems just as cruel as anything I've heard about this woman yet
Since cruelty to animals does not seem to carry any weight,or importance to our judges, that she will also face other charges,not paying taxes etc..money always seems more important than animals in our country:sad:
Old January 24th, 2007, 12:09 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
Since cruelty to animals does not seem to carry any weight,or importance to our judges, that she will also face other charges,not paying taxes etc..money always seems more important than animals in our country:sad:
That's what I was thinking too. I wonder if any charges of fraud could be place,also, by who ?
Old January 24th, 2007, 05:22 PM
An Honest Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boubou View Post
The huskies are having a hard time adjusting to being indoors and in an enclosure. Some of them have to be handfed, but apparently he was feeding them raw food (perhaps that was what the rabbits were for.....)
omg tell me no way

Meb maybe you'd know this one Criminally what could the word "wilful" mean ... in this case?
Old January 24th, 2007, 05:28 PM
An Honest Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
That's what I was thinking too. I wonder if any charges of fraud could be place,also, by who ?
I guess if she sold puppies and wasn't a registered wannabe breeder she wouldn't be paying the taxes the gov't could have her on tax evasion everyone has to declare their income
Old January 25th, 2007, 05:58 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
omg tell me no way

Meb maybe you'd know this one Criminally what could the word "wilful" mean ... in this case?
purposefully, not by accident, knew what she was doing, knew the consequences of her actions, knowingly.

If you hit someone with your car because you were inattentive and didn't see them coming, you're not willfull in your actions...but if you chase your boyfriend down with your car because you're pissed at him and you hit him on purpose, you're willfull in your actions.

Deep thought, by Jack Handey : "I think my new thing will be to try to be a real happy guy. I'll just walk around being real happy until some jerk says something stupid to me."
Old January 26th, 2007, 09:20 AM
An Honest Contributor

Thank you Meb. I should of asked in this content
Quote:
(a) wilfully causes or, being the owner, wilfully permits to be caused unnecessary pain, suffering or injury to an animal or a bird;
I was speaking with Barnoti and he said this clause is what breaks or makes a case. I'm not just referring to this cruelty case but all of them and he said if this woman compared the way she makes a living to a farmer to the judge - it could very well be thrown out He asked me what I thought of how farmers raise and kill calves and then ask him again if I think these animals are worst off

So "wilfully" means if she feels this is not cruel ... it's not
Old January 26th, 2007, 09:23 AM
An Honest Contributor

Quote:
He got a slap on the wrist. It was on the news. I think he surrendered all of his dogs. If not all, most of them anyways.
Barnoti said he was in court with this case I believe last week or early this week. The next hearing is May 25. He explained and compared the Fox Terrier case with this one and said it's very very hard to convince judges to see dogs differently then farm animals.

Our laws need to be changed so badly!
Old January 26th, 2007, 10:42 AM
Senior Contributor

GG,but dogs are companion animals not part of the food-chain unlike cows and pigs,although they also suffer terribly:sad:
Dogs are not supposed to be kept in a stall,in a dark barn,half starved..and puppy-mills ARE illegal,or am I wrong???
Old January 26th, 2007, 12:11 PM
-

Quote:
Even a judge can see that these animals are way too skinny, have hook worms, have open wounds on their body.....what's it going to take? I will defenetly keep some vacation days off to go to her trial. At least I will now her name and what she looks like.
Old January 26th, 2007, 02:43 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Well, that's why it makes or breaks a case. That's the difference between civil cases and criminal cases. In alot of criminal accusations (but not all), you have to have intent.

Quote:
things are hardly ever black or white in a case like this....she MAY get off...a judge COULD consider that in her circunctances a reasonable person would have done the same thing....

We just have to hope that she gets an animla loving judge....

You have to remember, that law isn't justice...unfortunetly...childmolesters, rapists and murderers get off everyday....:sad: