Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > In the News - Pet related articles and stories in the press > Newspaper Articles of Interest (animal/pet related) from Around the World

Closed Thread

Old November 13th, 2006, 03:33 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Yes, but veggies and grain for cows destroy MUCH MUCH more land.
I completely agree. I actually stated that in one of my previous posts.

I try to eat as little meat as possible, but eating soy products rather than meat isn't necessarily lower impact depending on which way you look at it, and if you don't eat meat it has to be supplemented with something.
Old November 13th, 2006, 03:34 PM
Honest Contributor

ok before this thread gets shut down... i'd love to know what happened to the guy who shot the hunter! will there be a manslaughter charge or anything?

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.

:love: ~Akitas Are Love~ :love:
Old November 13th, 2006, 03:34 PM
Honest Contributor

Quote:
But I feel I'm saving a heck of a lot of energy by just killing and eating ONE deer on my own instead of buying a cut of meat from the store.
but i hate wild meat am i supposed to feed on grass?

Old November 13th, 2006, 03:35 PM

What if you hunt a cow? Technically, it wouldn't be "grocery store" cow...
Old November 13th, 2006, 03:38 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
but i hate wild meat am i supposed to feed on grass?
LOL, no, I'm not saying you should eat wild meat. I'm just trying to show that hunting isn't necessarily higher impact than buying food instead.

Quote:
What if you hunt a cow? Technically, it wouldn't be "grocery store" cow...
There are plenty of people who raise their own meat, and that is definately lower impact than buying from the store, but cows wouldn't be a very good choice.
Goats maybe - they're pretty low impact to raise for food

I know you were kidding, don't worry , just trying to make a point.

I'm not attacking anyone for their personal choices, I just want everyone to realise that you're impacting the enviroment no matter WHAT you do.
Old November 13th, 2006, 03:40 PM

Quote:
I just want everyone to realise that you're impacting the enviroment no matter WHAT you do
Me TOO! So there you go.
Old November 13th, 2006, 03:42 PM
Honest Contributor

Quote:
I just want everyone to realise that you're impacting the enviroment no matter WHAT you do.
oh that is old news... too many demanding, hungry humans on too little land now even the oceans are being depleted!

Old November 13th, 2006, 03:42 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Me TOO! So there you go
Well FINE then!!!

What were we arguing about again?

If only everyone could have an intelligent heated discussion without hating each other . Maybe a lot more would get done.
Old November 13th, 2006, 03:50 PM

Well you know the saying. In the USA they have drive by's, in Canada they have "Hunting Accidents".
Old November 13th, 2006, 03:52 PM

..Hi.... heated thread sorry...( and dont expect you all to accept it )
but not going to concern myself..whatever!!
hmmm.. maybe I could have chosen my words better..or not..open topic right!!..
Hmmmmm sorry for MISSING a letter in my wording..and one checking my other post..sounds alot like many of you are very judgemental all the same..
Im with that..
most people who go on about hunters and taking deer during hunting season, really have to educate and understand what goes on before thinking that we are killing bambi..Ive heard some terrible stories around here during hunting season and the poaching as well.poaching does have to stop,just like the guns on the street..but hey..when and how who knows..but I have been hunting for 22 yrs and love it..the challenge.. We all hunt for different reasons..now you all wont like what im going to tell you now..I hunt and kill deer and dont like the meat..Yuk ..lol..but alot do. Friends, family get it or its donated..

I will take my leave, say what you will because you can..and so can I..
mybird has tryed to help with some posts... read between the lines..
im not getting into it with anyone....
dont think I will be back..thanks to all who saw the puppy pics..it was fun and they are doing well..
I have other site to be at..bye all..
maybe I can take typing lesson..lol..any mistakes??????
Old November 13th, 2006, 03:54 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FelineFatale View Post
Well you know the saying. In the USA they have drive by's, in Canada they have "Hunting Accidents".
Yeah, Missouri has "Hunting Accidents" too sometimes.
I think that's why you're legally required to wear orange vests here now, you can't say "Sorry officer, he looked JUST like a deer in that big orange vest and hat"
Old November 13th, 2006, 03:56 PM
Queen

Why are some people hunting if they don't enjoy the activity itself? Is it really just to save money, eat ethical meat, save the environment etc. How would it save money if you factor in time and other costs involved, you'd have to be doing okay to afford to go hunting in the first place.
Old November 13th, 2006, 04:05 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Why are some people hunting if they don't enjoy the activity itself? Is it really just to save money, eat ethical meat, save the environment etc. How would it save money if you factor in time and other costs involved, you'd have to be doing okay to afford to go hunting in the first place.
I'm not saying my b/f doesn't enjoy shooting, but the only reason he goes to get a deer is for meat. If we weren't going to eat the meat or give it to others to eat he wouldn't be shooting anything . He doesn't care if a deer has a huge rack of antlers or anything, he shoots whatever comes along and brings it home for the meat.
There are plenty of hunters that, yes they enjoy shooting deer, but they're not wasteful and don't just discard the meat in order to be able to shoot something.
Those that waste the meat, well yeah, they're idiots. Many people around here who hunt don't like the taste of deer, but give the meat from their deer to people who can't afford to eat, not ALL hunters are uncaring killers.
Many people around here who hit a deer with their car often butcher it up and give it to people in need or keep it themselves . Not everyone is wasteful.

There are those like me that just enjoy the meat and get no enjoyment out of shooting something. It actually does come out cheaper per pound to get a deer tag, butcher the meat yourself, etc. (around here anyway). If you're paying someone else to process the meat, no it's not really any cheaper.

Quote:
you'd have to be doing okay to afford to go hunting in the first place.
Many people around here aren't very well off. They save up plenty of money to buy a deer tag and bag a deer, but the thing is it would be more expensive for them in the long run to go to the store and buy beef (or any other meat for that matter) per pound.
Yes they're saving up the money to hunt, but they're butchering the meat themselves and not having to pay a middle man, so it comes out MUCH cheaper.
Of course I can only speak of the people around here, I don't know how expensive it is to get tags and everything up there.

Last edited by MyBirdIsEvil; November 13th, 2006 at 04:07 PM.
Old November 13th, 2006, 04:10 PM
Honest Contributor

i hope all those raw scraps (bones, innards, unwanted meat parts, head, etc) goes to the dogs too... THAT is recycling at its max

Old November 13th, 2006, 04:15 PM
Senior Contributor

I don't feed my dogs raw, Walnut won't even eat it and I don't know about Royce.
My b/f's mom however gives most of the bones and leftover trimmings to her dogs, and so do most other people. Many people put the trimmings and stuff back in the woods for other animals to eat. There are a fair amount of people around here that don't even feed kibble, their dogs get left over meat and stuff and they're just as healthy.

As far as the innards I wouldn't feed those to my dogs, many deer, especially in this warm climate tend to have parasites (I just saw one drop out of some intestines the other day ), so it's a bad idea.
Most people leave them in the woods or in an open area that's frequented by predators and scavangers,and raccoons, vultures, coyote, fox, and other animals get their share, so it's not wasted.
Old November 13th, 2006, 04:15 PM
An Honest Contributor
Fishing the Sea Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, KickUps Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Aski Champion, Ping Champion

I haven't read any of the new posts above yet but I just want to say something. I was just driving my son to work and while stopped at a light the truck in front of me had a dead deer tied in the back. I came face to face with a dead deer ... as if posting earlier wasn't hard enough.

I've never came close to a dead animal other then maybe road kill or when Misti killed a squirrel - it was even more horrible than I thought. Call me a wuss or whatever it is just really sad. I almost had an accident after seeing that poor deer in the back lying there all dead. I hope his family is hungry but this is the city usually we buy our meat. It's very usual to see something like that, that's all.
Old November 13th, 2006, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Girls View Post
I haven't read any of the new posts above yet but I just want to say something. I was just driving my son to work and while stopped at a light the truck in front of me had a dead deer tied in the back.
When I used to print pics in a photolab, I got the "undoing" of the deer and moose pics all the time at this time of year. It was so horrible. I really hope they took the pics for educational purposes and not for entertainment..
Old November 13th, 2006, 04:17 PM
Honest Contributor

Quote:
As far as the innards I wouldn't feed those to my dogs, many deer, especially in this warm climate tend to have parasites (I just saw one drop out of some intestines the other day ), so it's a bad idea.
Most people leave them in the woods or in an open area that's frequented by predators and scavangers,and raccoons, vultures, coyote, fox, and other animals get their share, so it's not wasted.

parasites

good recycling idea, to bring the leftovers back into the woods though

ok i think i'll go fix myself a tofu salad for dinner, LOL!

Old November 13th, 2006, 04:18 PM

tsk tsk... And where do you think the tofu comes from, Techno?

That's right: the Tofudabeast.

tsk tsk. :sad:
Old November 13th, 2006, 04:21 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
I almost had an accident after seeing that poor deer in the back lying there all dead. I hope his family is hungry but this is the city usually we buy our meat. It's very usual to see something like that, that's all.
When I lived in the city many people hunted out in the country and brought back meat to share with everyone. There's people in the city that don't just go kill deer and throw the bodies out.

As far as seeing dead animals, if you eat meat there are animals dying for your benefit and it's just as gruesome, so I don't know what to tell you.

From the time I was a little kid my dad always told me where my meat came from and what parts of the animals it came from and what kind of animal it was from. It gave me respect for my food to know where it was coming from and to know that a living being died for me to eat.
I think way too many people put meat in their mouth without thinking about the fact that they're eating from a previously living being.
Old November 13th, 2006, 04:21 PM
Senior Contributor

Technodoll, think about the poor dead soybean plants! *gasp*

J/k
Old November 13th, 2006, 04:23 PM
Honest Contributor

meet Tofudabeast

Old November 13th, 2006, 04:25 PM
Senior Contributor

Broken link for me.
Old November 13th, 2006, 04:26 PM

works now... Here: http://www.worth1000.com/entries/220...0336DIkh_w.jpg
Old November 13th, 2006, 04:27 PM
Senior Contributor

The page cannot be found

Maybe it's me

I'll restart.
Old November 13th, 2006, 04:27 PM
Honest Contributor

thanks prin! funny i see the photo fine in my post... weird computers.

Old November 13th, 2006, 04:29 PM

lol I think it's the pic. It didn't work for me the first time, so I copied the link and then I came back and it worked and now it works here but not in the link... *twilight zone music plays*
Old November 13th, 2006, 04:32 PM
Senior Contributor

It worked when I c&p'd it into another window.
Stupid computers.
Where is my hammer?
Old November 13th, 2006, 04:33 PM
Honest Contributor

Quote:
Where is my hammer?
the tofudabeast ate it

Old November 13th, 2006, 04:44 PM

Wow this has been busy. No new arguments just same old same old.

My problem is the psychology of the whole thing. I have no problem with the ecological viewpoint. However, if you think that most hunters have this at heart, I have to say you'd be wrong. I'm a country girl; I'm not from the city. Hunters don't all line up and pay for their tags; they don't all stay on the property they are supposed to stay on. They don't all take and use up every bit of the animal and put the rest of us loblaws shoppers to shame. Heck, they shop at loblaws, too. You're trying to make us believe that the hunter and his 9 kids all eat deer meat all winter. Puhleeze. They're at Mickey Dee's in the pick up on the way home.

The psychology is this: I think it is civilized, it is human, to want to move away from killing things. In order to kill, one must distance oneself from the soul of the other. That's why eating grocery store meat is easy: it has been distanced from the living entity. I wouldn't have an issue with someone killing for food as needed. I have an issue with the enjoyment of the task. I would equally have issue with a butcher who, over a beer, shouted I LOVE MY WORK! I love seeing those cow's eyes as they die, and the chickens as I wring their necks. And if they run, boy, even better! What fun!

I don't get how you think hunting is fun, or a sport. If it's the only way to eat, great. But as I said earlier, all of these proponents of the natural food chain: I don't see you laying out your kids (or yourself, if you're weak) in front of one of our natural predators to keep the chain going. There's something to be said for being civilized, IMO.
Closed Thread