Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old February 26th, 2004, 09:57 AM
Senior Contributor

Question cleaning cats teeth

I'd like your opinion on teeth-cleaning by the vet.
My new vet,my other wonderful vet has gone back to Scotland,
suggests all 3 of my cats should have their teeth cleaned every year,as it is an expensive endeavor,I wonder how you feel.
I resolved to do one cat each year,Rocky had his teeth cleaned 3yrs ago and they are still in really good shape and he is 7.
Chico(5) will be going next week,he also seems to have an abcess,so that will be taken care of.
They get crunchy food and treats,but I also know from experience what infected gums can do to a cats health,so what do you think?
Is it that my new vet sees"Sucker"written all over my forehead
Old February 26th, 2004, 10:07 AM
Senior Contributor

Well my vet in Toronto that I have had forever,LOL...does the same thing.I get a flyer sent to me every Feb from them saying it time for the teeth cleaning.And the importants of having it done.You know,the graphic pics of what can happen if they don't get it done.

This goes for Yukon,Tron and Phoenix.And I'm sure next year for Casper,since he's only 5 months and was at the vets when he was there at 4 months for his final vaccines.

But I do take them.
Old February 26th, 2004, 10:18 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Is it that my new vet sees"Sucker"written all over my forehead
No comment.

Some cats, like us, get heavier tartar build up on their teeth and may need more regular cleanings. You can check this yourself.

This must be the same vet who insist$ a friend of mine get full sets of vaccination$ every year for her indoor only cat$!
Old February 26th, 2004, 12:33 PM
Senior Contributor

Yeah Lucky,I know what you mean
The same happened to a friend of mine with 5 indoor cats,but sometimes you have to use your own logic
My vet,now gives the cats rabies vaccine only every two years,but now has come up with a new thing called,seniors test for cats at 7yrs.Rocky had it done,a total blood-workup etc...
10-15 yrs ago(I tend to lose track of time,)I'd never heard of teeth-cleaning for cats,but my Sammy got deathly ill as a result of infected gums and since then I keep an eye on my cats teeth.
I even have those cute little tooth-brushes and tooth paste,but that was a no-go
Old February 26th, 2004, 02:32 PM
Senior Contributor

My last cat lived to be 20 and of course he needed regular cleaning, extractions and maintenence on his teeth - he came close to outliving his them!

Quote:
I even have those cute little tooth-brushes and tooth paste,but that was a no-go
Yeah, same here. Too bad they don't have June Bug flavoured toothpaste for cats - I would have had no trouble then!
Old February 26th, 2004, 03:28 PM
Senior Contributor

I think Chico will have one tooth extracted and I guess then it's Vinnies turn.The worst part is that you cannot feed them in the morning and then try to put them in the carrier,it usually takes about 30minutes,because they all scatter when they see it.
Then when the victim is in the carrier,the others give a huge sigh of relief,by that time I am all sweaty and pooped and have lost 5 pounds....
The only time they run into the carrier is when it's time to go home...oh well,the little darlings
Old February 26th, 2004, 11:22 PM
Chocolate

I tried cleaning my cats' teeth once a week w that beef toothpaste for dogs & cats & the rubber finger-cover w rubber pristles that goes on, duh, the finger.. (what r they called anyways?)

I saw no harm in doing it (except bitter resentment when I forced their mouthes opened... . IN A HUMANE WAY, of course)

go for it, u dont have THAT much too loose compared to vet prices... & during the annual boosters (if nothing else happens to your cat during the year), ask the vet to take a look @ the teeth.

Old February 27th, 2004, 02:20 AM

Chico, I have the same problem with the carrier as you, but I think I have come up with a solution . When I know I will have to take one of them, I get the carrier out three days in advance and leave it in the living room or entry way. They scatter initially, but then realize that I'm not coming after them and get curious. I also put a towel in the carrier and after the first day, they use the carrier as a bed, lol. I've been so lucky as to have the exact two that needed to go to the vet already sleeping in the carrier when it was time to go and all I had to do was close the door! Now, that doesn't happen all the time, but it does lead them to a sort of false sense of security and I don't have as hard of a time.

As for the teeth problem, I can't help. I have Abyssinians and they are notorious for gingivitis, so cleanings are routine for us.

Good luck and I hope I helped!
Old February 27th, 2004, 10:58 AM
Chocolate

interesting name numberoneaggie...

hahaha

ok, ok, also great advice. our cat carriers were a part of the furniture, sometimes the two of them would fit themselves into a carrier that's barely suitable for one of them... heheeh, all for some snuggles!
Old February 27th, 2004, 04:33 PM
Senior Contributor

Thank's to the two Aggies I am going to try that starting tonight,they'll run downstairs and hide for a couple of hours..more peace for me tonight
Old March 3rd, 2004, 06:37 PM
Chocolate

yw!

let us know what happens
Old March 3rd, 2004, 06:50 PM
Senior Contributor

What I've done when I needed to get semi-feral cats into carriers for vet visits or adoption clinics is start feeding them something really great (like chicken) IN the carrier about a week before I needed to get them in there.

The day I needed to take them, chicken in, cat in, close door. Dirty trick, I know - but it works!
Old March 3rd, 2004, 07:38 PM
Senior Contributor

well,thank's for all the advice..tomorrow is the big day for Chico,teeth-cleaning.The food trick is not going to work,since he cannot eat for eight hours.
I've had the carrier out,but the only one going into it is Vinnie,the others take a wide birth around it
I am usually really brutal,stand up the carrier and drop the cat in ,the only thing that works once I catch him.....
Now,big Rocky is a different story all together...oh the glory of being a cat-owner/lover