Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old December 2nd, 2010, 01:33 PM

Unhappy 7 yr old dog is suddenly anxious!

Our 7yr old hound mix has suddenly become anxious. About two weeks ago when we were going to bed he started pacing, panting and whining - he finally settled down and came to sleep with us as he usually does. It has since been off an on - usually just before bed time or in the morning before my husband and I leave the house for work.
This morning he was shaking and so out of sorts he wouldn't even eat.
We moved three months ago from an apartment to a house. He was totally fine with the move and actually seemed thrilled to have more space and a yard. but I'm wondering now if its possible he is having a delayed reaction - could he be finding all of the space stressful? When he gets anxious he seems to want to run out and check the back yard.
It just seems odd that it would happen 3 months after the move.
Does that sound possible? Any other theories?
The little guy is breaking my heart!
Old December 2nd, 2010, 03:38 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Have you had him checked by a vet? Pacing, panting, whining and not eating can all be signs of pain or illness. I don't think that 3 months after the move he'd be having a delayed stress reaction. Best to have a vet check him over and make sure it's nothing physical.

Has he recently had his tail caught in a door? Our Ember broke his tail trying to let himself out one day and got very pacy and whiney from the pain, so that's a possibility, too.

Hope he's better soon!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old December 2nd, 2010, 04:47 PM

Hi! Thanks for your response!
No we haven't taken him to a vet yet, only because he seems fine most of the time! Especially when he's outside - it's an instant transformation as soon as he is out the door.
Old December 2nd, 2010, 05:12 PM
Senior Contributor

This is a long shot, but is this his first yard? You said you moved. My terrier paces and whines a lot when the squirels are actively collecting in the fall or if I dare feed the birds it creats a whole hunting ground for him. He can't wait to get out. Right now I have moles in my yard and he goes out everynight and barks like mad. I wonder if moles are active after dark? Makin a mess too.
Old December 3rd, 2010, 08:46 PM

I agree about the vet visit. The symptoms you mention can be a response to pain. However, if it is pain the symptoms should be present during the day as well. Is there someone around during the day to observe his behaviour?
Old December 5th, 2010, 12:22 AM
Catlover2

Just wondering when you lived in the apartment, did he get more hard exercise running than he is now? Being a hound mix, it could be pent up energy and need for more exercise than he's getting. Did he get the chance for lots of free running in a dog park or somewhere before and now is just getting it in your backyard? Maybe some long jogs or running leashed beside a bike might help?

Tags
anxiety, dog, stress